Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
gearbox removal - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

gearbox removal

im just in the process of taking my gearbox out after an event full weekend. ie i broke it !

i will be getting to removal of driveshafts shortly to get the box out. question is im not sure how much clearance is needed to clear the box shafts. to save me a bit of time anyone know which of the suspension arms need to be relaesed to get the required clearance. steve

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve, sorry to hear about your gearbox woes, was good to meet you at Thurrock though!

I generally drop top and bottom links for ease, but I think the well hard people manage just removing the lower link. A tip , well Sparky can take the credit for this, remove the spider from the yoke and bag up the spider. Much easier than trying to knock out the spilt pins whilst in the car!

**Posted from my Apple device using the <a href="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ip-board-communities/id372597645?mt=8">IPB app</a>**

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

Ouch - that is bad luck but not so much of a surprise. Chargecooling the V8 does liberate a fair amount of torque.

Quick and dirty way:

- undo the inner bottom link bolt to chassis (under the gearbox mounts)

- ease out the bottom link (rear suspension will move inwards at first)

- gain sufficient clearance by pulling outwards on rear wheels/suspension

Same method can be used in reverse, but it is a bit tricky to get the required alignment on your own - easier with help !

Cheers,

Mike S

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Yes, it helps to have a second person. It's possible with one plus good lifting equipment and plenty of space, but it's not easy easy.

Even with two and the gearbox supported on a hoist, it can be a bit of a struggle.

well i supose on a happy note at least the chargecoolers are having a good effect. got shafts clear now just got to try and get the gear box spline to come out of the clutch. box has come back half and inch and no more. trying to do this on my own :angry:

Just in case you aren't aware, you need to pull the fork loose from the release bearing in order to remove the box.

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

Just in case you aren't aware, you need to pull the fork loose from the release bearing in order to remove the box.

Does that apply to the V8, twin plate pull clutch as well as the 4 cylinder, single plate push clutch??

Cheers,

John W

Applies just to the V8 twin plate clutch because the release bearing is attached to the pressure plate whereas on the 4 cyl it floats on the input shaft and is clipped to the fork.

To remove the fork, you just pull it rearward and up at the same time. The fork won't come completely out of the clutch housing, it just comes loose from the release bearing. If the clutch is really worn, you may have a tough time getting the fork to release as it tends to wedge against the aperture opening. On the last one I did, I had to clamp a set of vise grips perpendicular on the fork and use a hammer to beat it out but it eventually came loose.

I think the manual states something like "some fettling of the aperture may be required" to remove the fork which in layman's terms is "get your dremel tool out and cut the hole bigger".

If the fork won't come loose, about the only other option short of destroying the fork is to try to remove the clutch bolts through the aperture opening which would be a really big pain in the arse....

Good luck!

Jim

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s