Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Slipping Clutch - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Slipping Clutch

Hello, Looking for some advice.

Finally after two and a half years of restoring my 1992 Esprit SE/spending my life savings it's finally got to the point where I can drive the car. The engine has been rebuilt and at present I can only get up to 5000rpm (still running the engine in.) I noticed last night that when I begin to accelerate in fourth and sometimes third gear the clutch appears to be slipping. Is it possible that the clutch just needs to be adjusted rather than replaced as it was only replaced 4000 miles ago? If this is the case how do I go about fixing it?

Thanks in advance

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the expense of appearing rude..

If I had spent my life savings and a long period of time repairing my Esprit and sought advice, I think I would be dissapointed if the CEO had started his response with an admonishing 'its in the manual'.

If it were not intented then I apologise.

If it were then I think he should apologise?

Mark

Bibs.

I think what you meant was along the lines of "The push rod may be mis-adjusted, check the manual for the correct setting", what could have been perceived is "That problem is covered in the manual. Check the manual". So I can see how it could have looked a bit off-hand to some people that don't know you.

Apologies Gents

Probably my fault for not making myself clear. I do have the manual and I was aware of this however I was just seeing if, through your vast wealth of knowledge, there might have been anything else you could think of before I started getting myself all dirty!

Anyway having delved into the manual and followed it's advice it would appear that someone might have been telling porky pies when it came to the maintenance of the vehicle. I was given a reciept for the clutch (an uprated one as well I might add) and can see that since it was fitted the car had done about 4000 miles. The clutch had already been adjusted and appears to be 75% worn. So either the guy who sold it to me has been a bit of a fibber (which I doubt because I have the reciept) or when he got the clutch fitted some naughty individual didn't actually replace it, sold on the new clutch and just adjusted the old one!

The only bit of this car I was sure that wouldn't need replacing actually does!!!! When will the torment (and spiralling costs) ever end??!!!!???

I'm not an expert on this, but try loosening the bleed valve on the slave cylinder slightly and see if there is pressure there when the clutch is not pressed down. It's a 10 mm nut, I recall. You'll get a small amount of leakage of fluid if there is pressure, and this can result in clutch not quite returning fully and slippage as you describe. Obviously there is some leakage in the slave if this is the case, and it will eventually have to be addressed, but mine seems to go for periods of 6 months and solves the problem for the moment.

Trevor

I think what is being refereed to here is the park position of the slave cylinder....There is a stop bolt on the SE peddle box which if not correctly adjusted can cause the slave cylinder to retain pressure. This will be like riding the clutch. It will slip under toque but otherwise ok. Same symptoms as worn clutch. This could also cause a new clutch to wear out quick and at the same time knacker the thrust bearings on the crank.. (end float) . The clutch peddle should have a bit of slack it it when fully up.. The rest is self adjusting and if set up correct as per the manual will work fine... If still slipping then its on its way out....

PS. the spiralling costs never end, after all an Esprit is a love affair not a hobby....

Edited by CHANGES

I appreciate your comments Hugh. My cam tensioner should have been replaced by a well respected sports car garage a couple of years ago but it is knackered, all they did was spray some grease on the outside of the bearing. Similarly the gear change mechanism should have been replaced but the bearings had gone and everything was covered in grease. This was before I got the car so dont really trust any garage.