Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Stowing the roof section in an Esprit - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Stowing the roof section in an Esprit

B1 RMA

Having tried a few rather nice convertables over the last week I decided to remove the roof section on my Esprit. Has anyone suceeded in stowing the roof section in the back? I have been buggering around for hours trying to get it in but can't get it to fit.

Edited by B1 RMA

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks I managed to get it in although it does sit at rather an awkward angle being suspended on the left hand side. Just got to get it out now and see if by the time I got it back out and on the car I'd be soaking wet if a sudden summer rain storm occured. Never realised how nice it is with the wind deflector fitted even at motorway speeds it's very nice I'll probably not put the roof section back until autumn/winter now.

Did all Esprits have a removable roof?

Also in the video there is no cover for the roof, having found the wind deflector it's a bit marked in places and have had to compound it out so I wouldn't advise putting it in without the cover. It could of course be that I carry a load of junk in the boot that maybe marked it. Looking back now the Porshe 911 Turbo S soft top would have been a waste of money glad I kept the Esprit.

Edited by B1 RMA

Thank you for the video. Out on a run for the first time, I had a whim to get the roof off. spent ten roadside minutes before giving up with the conclusion that the roof just will not fit in the back. Now I know it does, just.

Taking the roof section out is a bit of a pain as in the V8 there is a large fan type assembly on the left hand side which is a real pain. I'm not that taken with the bag either as it marked the front edge of the roof panel despite cleaning it prior to putting the roof section in.

• Gold FFM

David, the 'fan type' you refer on is only there on cars with airpump feed to the heads (aka emission class uprated cars(US type cars) -I have no problem there as the only silliy thing that is in the way in the rear trunk is this odd 4 pot catalyst bulge.. .

But I can agree on the 'roof bag' thing, that is way to small on the vellcro-side and made of a hard material -so to harsh on the painted surface if you put the roof into it

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

I agree the bag is actually better if you turn it inside out! It may pay to just get a bed sheet stitched up and put it in that or take a chance and remove the roof and leave it in the garage. Then if it rains I'll have a good excuse for driving the car very very fast so the rain will just go straight over and not get me wet. Thinking about it there may be a slight flaw in that plan.

Anyone got any idea of where I can get a bag/deflector? Or perhaps a part no for the deflector at least. Want to try this out soon!!

Deflectors are very hard to come by, as are the bags. I didn't use a deflector and it wasn't too bad and some people have sown picnic type blankets up to make a bag, inside out so the soft part is on the roof and waterproof/hard wearing part outside.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I really wouldn't bother with the standard bag as I still can't get the marks out even using a swirl compound as Bibs suggested or just wrap the roof panel in a bed sheet. Can't help on the deflector although it does look nice in place, as to whether it actually does anything only a wind tunnel will reveal that.

OK. I could make a "bag". Anyone want to lend a deflector so I can make one? Or some detailed pics would do!

Apologies for being a little indifferent but the removable roof is the one thing I hate about my car! :thumbdown:

You lose that terrific cocooned effect in a G car and the light and heat make things even worse. I know I've read that Colin thought it would be a way of competing with the 308/328's GTS Targa top but I've never liked mine..........

Edited by nello

Yes Dave - soaks in the sun..... I also think having a dark glass panel on the roof makes the car somehow looks taller .....

I've muted before looking into getting a bespoke GF panel made up to replace like they did on the later cars but never got around to it........