Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
How does the speedo work on a GT3? - Misc including parts cross references - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

How does the speedo work on a GT3?

Currently looking at an intermittent speedo on a GT3. (presumably the same on all later models) I assume its electrical? (unlike my mechanical jobbie) If so, where does it get the signal from (ECU?) What tells the car what gear its in? I'm assuming its just a bad connection somewhere, but am just looking for pointers.

Cheers

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Silly answer:

As you go faster, the needle rotates to the right across a range of number. It's the same on all esprits. Unless someone has fitted a digital speedo.

Serious answer:

As far as I know, any electrical impulse speedo has to get its signal from the final drive side of the gearbox. Nothing else will work consistently.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Freescan will sort the problem out.

Another check to do is recalibrate the speedo. My VDO speedo is set to 4000 pulses per KM.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

• Gold FFM

How does the ecu signal work Derek?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Does the ECU take a reading from the ABS sensors on the hubs?

If so then it is academic as to what gear it's in as you can calculate road speed from the number of revolutions the wheel makes and the known circumference of the tyre

John

Edited by Mr_John111

• Gold FFM

So I was right. Signal comes from the final drive.