Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coolant Loss - HGF - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Coolant Loss - HGF

fjmuurling

Hi all,

2 weeks ago I took the car for it's first trip since 3-4 months. Upon return (apron 150 km) the cooling water warning light in the dash illuminated just before arriving home. After cooling down I found the header tank almost empty as well as the expansion tan in the left side of the boot. The carpet below the expansion tank was also wet. Clearly the loss was caused by pressure in the cooling system.

When I pulled the plugs they all had a normal white / greyish deposits indicating a normal combustion and they were all nicely dry.

A week later I had some more time for investigating and started the car up (refilled the coolant first) and saw a stream of very small bubbles circulating in the header tank, my first thought was oeps this is not good maybe there is a leak in the turbo.

I should also mention that the sump level is / was not increasing and there is no white mayonnaise in the oil, but there was a very fine film of oil in the empty expansion tank which I cleaned last year. Also on start up there was no excessive amount of white smoke and once hot the white smoke was gone.

This week I continued the search for the coolant theft. After removing the spark plugs again I found that no.2 was a little bit moist. Probing around with a home made tool (like a flexible cotton swab) in the the cylinders I found that the no 2 cylinder was a little moist. So for the final test I modified a spark plug (removed the electrode and the ceramic part) so I had an rude adaptor for putting and thick walled hose in, in order to pressure test the cylinders one by one when they were in TDC. No 1 & 4 were the first to be tested because they were the easiest to put in TDC with the marks on the crankshaft pulley, result no air in coming in the header tank. Next was no 2, after rotating the crank for 180 deg. (aprox because there is no reference on the pulley) I put air into the cylinder and guess what the header tank started overflowing. I didn't check no. 3 anymore.

So it looks like a HGF (Head Gasket Failure) and started to make preparations for the removal of the Engine as I see no benefit in doing it with the engine in situ.

Any ideas comment etc are more than welcome.

Freek

BTW I will make pictures and post them here.

(@moderators is this the right sub forum or should it be in the Esprit projects area ??)

Esprit Freak

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Travis,

thx for the offer, very useful pictures. I see that you are doing the surgery in situ ?? I'm planning on pulling the engine.

Not much progress this week busy with other things.

Freek

Esprit Freak

Ihad planed to replace the head gasket in situ, but then i found the coolant in my oil, so i removed the engine. I did leave the transmission in place since it has recently been re-sealed.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Below are the first pictures of the works in progress. Not so much to see, but so far I drained the cooling system (engine and charge cooler), removed the header tanks, undid the clutch slave cylinder, removed the exhaust system with the brackets, removed the boot floor and the hatch, undid the gear selector cables, disconnected all (I think) electrical connections and labelled them.

The header tank doesn't look to good, it was wet on the outside while it was already empty for a week (only some leftover remaining after draining).

post-721-0-41066600-1335047197.jpg

post-721-0-71958200-1335047462.jpg

Edited by fjmuurling

Esprit Freak

Today I finished disconnecting all cooling water hoses, oil hoses, electrical cables, fuel lines etc. I also removed the AC compressor (kept hoses) connected to compressor, removed the header tanks, intake manifold, heat shield at the LH engine mount and the ignition module. I also undid the 4 nuts of the engine and gearbox mounts (kept the bolts in just in case).

The only thing to do (I think) is to attach the load leveler and hoist the thing out which will happen upcoming friday if things got right.

Keep you all updated (with pics underway).

Freek

Esprit Freak

The engine is out complete with the gearbox.

post-721-0-70197300-1335638006.jpg

The above picture shows the moment before taking out the whole lot, however when the lifting started I discovered that one cooling water hose was still connected, so after struggling for 30 minutes to undo the hose in the water pump the beast was taken out.

post-721-0-14296500-1335638271.jpg post-721-0-84191500-1335638504.jpg

It involved some carefull juggling with the load leveler but all went well without problems.

The engine is now mouted on an enginestand and I'm in the process of cleaning and removing more than 20 years of dirt and grease etc.

Freek

Esprit Freak

The cleaning and the disassembly started, the cleaning is time consuming.

post-721-0-09809700-1335745136.jpg

The right side is finished and the left side is still being worked on.

post-721-0-86881800-1335745268.jpg

The Turbo came off without many troubles, I only had to modify (grinding) a ring spanner for one of the nuts.

post-721-0-48304300-1335745446.jpg

It looks like there were two gasket between the Turbo and the manifold but I think the original gasket is a laminated one. The Exhaust Manifold didn't give problems with removing, a few studs came out off the head and the threads look OK, I will clean them up before everything goes together.

post-721-0-48416800-1335746095.jpg

the manifold looked OK but on closer (not so close) inspection this manifold also suffers from the crack syndrome, the crack is at the aft part of cylinder 3.

post-721-0-53351900-1335746248.jpg

I hope it can be welded, the overall state of the manifold looks good, we will see. Before I take the head off I have to finish the cleaning job and measure the valve clearances and then the Head Gasket will unveil it's secret.

Freek

Esprit Freak

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay but progress is made. After a lot of cleaning took the camshafts off after measuring the clearances.

post-721-0-36349400-1337601487.jpg

Camshaft removal.

This was followed by removing the head.

post-721-0-69847000-1337601604.jpg

Headf off, liner clamps in place, cleaning piston crowns.

The HG looked still good but upon close examination found the failure place.

post-721-0-45495100-1337601719.jpg

Looks like that the reinforcement in the gasket corroded and expanded and caused the leakage.

Freek

Esprit Freak

Hi Travis,

yours is a little bit more obvious then mine, above picture in my post was taken after a couple of days of dismantling, when I pressed on the bubble (middle of picture) cooling liquid came out. The second blister is in the top right corner of the picture. The metal sealing rings in the gasket were fine as far as I could see. I think that the blister kind of failure is in line with the very gradually increment loss of coolant i had. Have you ever seen a failure like mine, the rest of the gasket looks / is still good.

One question I have did you use permabond or a normal gasket for your crankshaft seal housings?

Freek

Esprit Freak

for the front and rear main crankshaft seals, I have used Loctite 518 anaerobic sealant, and I have used a gasket with hylomar dressing. Both worked and did not leak. However I did have a leak at the sump to block from using just the Loctite 518, so I think I will do something different this time.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• 4 weeks later...

Today I cleaned up the threaded holes in the head, cleaned the valves and started grinding them in. The cleaning of the exhaust valves took a long time and the dremel made some overtime but deposits on the valves lost, the inlet valves were very clean and need only a light brush up.

post-721-0-99955900-1340135886.jpg post-721-0-17577500-1340135909.jpg

Cleaning of the threaded holes and the dirty valves.

post-721-0-38161900-1340136254.jpg post-721-0-88949500-1340136296.jpg

Cleaning in progress and the clean valves, the picture is not as good as the end result, they look much better than in the picture.

Esprit Freak

• 5 months later...

It's been a long time but progress is made.

post-721-0-68663600-1354408728.jpg

I had the head machined as there was a little bow in it.

post-721-0-58041100-1354408729.jpg post-721-0-10494500-1354408730.jpg

The valves back into their right spots

post-721-0-15163900-1354408728.jpg

This plug is easily forgotten.

post-721-0-19714200-1354409172.jpg

Goodies, as it turned out later not all of them were good see the other topic which HG.

post-721-0-15041100-1354409598.jpg

Fitting of the Front Crankseal with a home made tool.

More to come,

Freek

Esprit Freak

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Only replace if necessary. I overhauled my complete engine with it in situ so yes head should be removable but difficulty is dropping the exhaust manifold as there is barely enough enough gap up against the chassis. Some garages insist on removing the engine but mine came out with a bit of fiddling around.