Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
beginning the body work - Page 3 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

beginning the body work

this evenings progress was a test fit of the front lip and front undertray. a bit of hole slotting required on a couple on the lipp and a bout 1/4 inch more glassing on the front of the repaired under tray. then on to the wheels and heat shields

20120906_163539.jpg20120906_163555.jpg

It's Oogies turn to boogie

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i'm moving the car to a new unit after a mishap last week with the car the shutter door frame and the wood that was getting the car over the ramp into the unit moving which resulted in the below. after much swearing and smashing of items i repaired the damage. now filled, painted and laquered just need to flat it down tomorrow and buff it up and put the indicator lens back on. also re-laquered the rear spoiler and flatted it back , much smoother now.

20120908_141052.jpg

20120917_192729.jpg

20120917_190128.jpg

Hello dave i would like to say yes. But i dont think it will be quite ready. As im looking at moving to a new unit also got a bit of pipe work to do as i have found a small leak. Think its on the t piece that runs to the turbo as i made it so odds on its there. Will be out soon though well i hope so.

All the best

Looking amazing Peter!

What a ball ache with that garage door though. Good that you can turn it around.

This thread has really spurred me on to finish up my bodywork.

SImon

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

well after flatting down the laquer it became apparent that i needed to go back into the paint now much flatter as there was a bit too much of a lip. so now sprayed, will flat then relaquer tomorrow then flat and compound. also managed to get the front undertrays on and alsmost completed the lip but i need to slot one of the holes. then clean up the compound paste that you can see around the panels and indicator

thanks for the positive comments.

20120920_225038_zpscbf800a8.jpg

20120920_225111_zps46d0dac5.jpg

20120920_225106_zps1cbf908f.jpg

Edited by mr.oogieboogie

well rh corner now flatted and buffed, also went round the car just needs a good polish and wax.. front undertrays and lip now fitted. just the water leak , rear heat shields and rear undertray then on to the wheels then on to the m.o.t.

20120922_174907_zpsb88e6fbc.jpg

20120922_174955_zps3ad3158b.jpg

well i think i found the leak so new piece of pipe fitted started the car and let it get up to temp after about 30mins the car sat at 91deg

i think its sounding pretty good. acouple of small vids below

th_20120925_185357.jpg

th_20120925_185903.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

well two wheels now primed and should begin flatting tomorrow night then paint and laquer. then on to the rears at the weekend

if these come out as planned they should cost around £10 a wheel and my time.

20121007_101238.jpg

20121007_113325.jpg

20121007_115309.jpg

20121007_132933.jpg

well began painting the front wheels. flatted the primer then gave it the 1st coat. once built up i needed to rub it down almost back to the primer. now painted. 2nd coat tomorrow then laquer. another wheel has had teh 1st coat and will be flatted back tomorrow.i have gone for a darker grey which i think will suit the car

20121008_221513.jpg

well front wheels now drying. the rears should not take as long as they are in a lot better condition. pics show 2nd lot of latting then painted and then laqured

20121009_092227.jpg

20121009_095220.jpg

20121009_121942.jpg

not the worlds best restoration but im taking a great deal of satification from doing it my self

Looking good well done. Are you treating the inside of the rim. I have a problem with one or other of my wheels going flat. They have been in tyre depot, refitted and retained for a few days but absolutely no puncture then a few days later a flat tyre. The depot say it is a usual problem with older alloy rims seeping air depending on how the wheel sits when parked up. The solution it seems is to hammerite the inside of the rim before refitting tyre. Not sure however how good that advice is.

hello Mike. the front one on mine looses air. again no puncture but the guys who took the tyre off said they could re-seal it. now both fronts are laquered (4 coats) so just need compounding when completley dry. then on to the rears once the fronts are re-fitted

20121009_180800.jpg

Hi all.

Tyres going flat when not punctured is usually due to the old alloy rim becoming

porous due to age . This can be easily rectified when reconditioning wheels with

powder coating or quality 2k paint process.

However the main fault is usually on the bead seal , lip , or J of the rim. This area

always fails first. It is usually quite visible and may need addressing and machining

in the worst cases. Most tyre fitters will use a lubricant or soap when fitting the tyre,

this will assist in sealing areas where the tyre can not. Over time this may fail and pressure

loss become an issue again. It also has the effect of allowing the tyre to rotate on the rim

on the more powerful and aggressively used motors. this creates its own issues.

Good preparation before painting will alleviate most leeks... Lotus alloys are top quality so

do not suffer with this problem as much as the cheaper alloys when they age..

Checking the lip or J on each tyre change can save a lot of hassle

hope this helps.

well tyres now fitted should be on the car tonight then its on to the rears. still some soap on the tyres and its raining so the wheel look pitted. will see how they look against the lighter silver ones later

20121011_161247.jpg

well i was going to alton towers today. but a change of plans on friday ment i was at milton keynes until around 11.30 today. still managed to get the rears stripped and filler primed. should be able to flat and beging the paint tomorrow.

20121014_155217.jpg