Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Fires in Colorado - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Fires in Colorado

Vulcan Grey

We are having a very dry and hot summer so far, temperatures above 100F and humidity in the single digits. We also had probably the worst winter on record, as far as snow pack depth. Last I heard we were at 7% or normal, last year we were at 800% in parts of the mountains. Keep in mind that the snow that melts off of the Rocky Mountains does not only belong to Colorado, but also all of the down stream cities and states.

Currently we have 7 large fires going in the forests of Colorado. Here's a map, where you can see the locations and perimeter of each fire. The largest being the High Park fire near Ft. Collins, and the worst now being the Waldo Canyon fire in Colorado Springs.

https://maps.google....042516,14.27124

High Park fire was over 98,000 acres (153 square miles) last I heard, and close to a city of 140,000. It burned over 220 buildings.

The Waldo Canyon fire forced the evacuation of 32,000 people!!! And burned 340+ houses!

There is also a fire in the city where I work (Flagstaff fire in Boulder), just one ridge away from houses and the rest of the city!

Here is an amazing time lapse video of the Waldo canyon fire from the last few days

waldofire001sjpg9502000.jpg

2906webapp10980x735.jpg

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scary stuff, people don't realise the intensity, and speed of these fires. The aftermath is terrible, nothing left, a whole life's memories just gone.

I take you're OK, I've been thinking of you.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I remember the Station fire in California a few years ago, until you see a wildfire it's hard to comprehend the destructive power they deliver.

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

• Gold FFM

That's frightening stuff. Amazing how randomly the occational house is left untouched whilst neighbours all around are reduced to ash.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Scary stuff Travis. Stay safe.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Thanks guys, I'm fine!

Some of the Lotus guys here do live very near the evacuation zone in Colorado Springs, but aren't affected yet!

The smoke hasn't been too bad in the cities where I work and live, but some of my favorite hiking and mountain biking trails are closed due to the Flagstaff fire.

I just hope people are careful with fire the rest of the year! Most of these have been started by lightning so far as we know.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• Gold FFM

The first still after the video above is quite eerie Travis with the fire visible through the windows of the house.

The huge OZ fires we had didn't come upon residential areas to the same degree as you have in more populated areas.

Stay safe mate.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Feel for you Travis and everybody else.

Michael, the fires we've has on the east coast have had similar destructive consequences. High death tolls and house destructions were tragically recorded.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ash_Wednesday_fires

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Saturday_bushfires

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Canberra_bushfires

One of my mates went through it with fireballs destroying his neighbours' houses but not his, which was remarkable. His family took a few years to get over it emotionally and finally moved out, in fear of the next big one.

DanR

Just come back from a trip through Montana and Wyoming. The smoke from Colorado is reaching those states. Terrible thing to see.

We are spending the 4th in Breck and fortunately enjoying great weather and only diligence over the fire risk, but our son is going to be with friends in Estes Park, much closer to the danger zones. We came through a few showers on the plains so there's hope for a little more moisture on the way at least in the mountains and northern front range. We will be picking him up in Boulder on the 5th to spend the rest of our time in Denver, so it's good to hear you are safe, Travis, especially as there is some news of containment of many of the fires. We've had our share in Oklahoma in the past, what's most fearsome is the fires can travel at the speed of the wind with firefighters racing gusts of 40+ mph at times. Suffice to say with the many fire/burn bans as well as the damage, the 4th will be a bit more somber this year.

My deepest sympathies and compassion go out to the people who lose everything from devastation like this. Travis -- stay safe.

- Tony

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Those Australian fires are just huge!

Thankfully there have not been anywhere near as many deaths in the Colorado fires! There was one woman in the High Park fire, who apparently didn't evacuate, and a couple in the Waldo canyon fire, who were seen going into their garage as the other neighbors were leaving. I didn't hear why they didn't leave...

Eric,

Enjoy your time in CO! The mountains will be a nicer place to spend the 4th, I was thinking about hiking the nearby St. Mary's glacier to keep cool. I'm also staying in Estes on the 6th and 7th, and going to a wedding in Lyons.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

A c130 fire fighter crashed last night just south of the Black Hills in South Dakota starting another fire. Sad to learn that some crew members were killed.

Edited by GavinT

I spent a mouth riding and racing mountain bikes in Colorado and Utah 20 years ago. really beautiful part of the world, I’m saddened by what’s happening.

Take care

Here for a good time, not a long time

Lots of fires popping up here in Utah too, fortunately nothing affecting as many people as the Colorado fires. Good to hear you've been safe Travis. This June tied our record driest recorded with no measurable rain. There's finally some rain in the forecast, but it's spotty and bringing lightning with it so things could get worse. I'll be in southwest Colorado camping for the next few days, fingers crossed it doesn't get crispy.

'86 Lotus Esprit Turbo

One of our local Lotus guys did lose his house and Europa in the Waldo canyon fire! :(

He wasn't able to evacuate the Europa since he had taken it apart to work on a U-joint...

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE