Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
What Made You Choose Your Esprit - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

What Made You Choose Your Esprit

rizla603104

You are also right about the people too. From the designers to the owners!

Tony and I actually developed a theory while we were doing all those interviews last winter, which I'm sure we're not the first to consider, but that the character of the people who create a car, or really any sophisticated object, is expressed through the object and attracts people of similar character on the other end, regardless of marketing or branding--just via the object itself. MJK thought that was a bit far-fetched and didn't really agree with us, but I stick by it, particularly in the case of Lotus. Put another way, the people who make and buy Lotuses are overwhelmingly generous, friendly, and unpretentious. Regardless of stereotyping, I think most of us would agree that you can ascribe certain general traits to owners of various marques. So I'll just say it (and so would Tony)--we're not Ferrari guys and TLF is like the anti-FerrariChat.

Best decision I've ever made, currently it's being turned Monaco White and everything I want right now.

I just met a gent named Bob Annable at Tony K's car party and he has a white S2 with white Speedlines:

post-6978-0-14352600-1343228936.jpg

More photos here.

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made the mistake of driving into my dealers lot to have my JPS Europa serviced. Took one look. Had to have one!!! There were three on the lot. White / Tan. Yellow / Tan. Red / Tartan. Until my recent string of painful service problems, loved the car. Now it just sits under a car cover in my garage. Only seen daylight once in the last two months. Moxie visited me with his new Evora S and asked about the S1.

Lyn

Lyn,

I know you'll eventually get the S1 sorted, but when I visited the other week and was taking photos, I happened to take a shot just as you were sitting in the engine bay with your arms stretched out, as if you're asking the 907 "WTF?!". It's begging to be distributed for an Esprit owners caption contest. Your call. If not, I'll just send it to you.

- Matt

Matt,

Fire away. Don't remember the pose. In my years with the Esprit, guess I've "prayed" more than once! Usually to the ACBC guy.

Lyn

OK, you asked for it. My comment isn't really a caption, but a statement, i.e., "I Feel Your Pain":

S1_Conundrum.jpg

Actually a caption just came to me: "Dude, Where's My Carbs?"

Impressionable youth with car interest is star struck by a neighbours new JPS Europa Twin Cam Special. Start to take an interest in Lotus and am stunned by the mid ‘70s cars designed to take the marque upmarket – just as I learnt to drive and realised how expensive they all were! I loved the Elite, but the Esprit was the one. Always admired muscle car power, but thought it cool that similar performance stats were written next to the Lotus with its little 4 pot (even if they were a tad exaggerated by the factory!) So years pass and many “performance” cars come and go, but the Esprit - now the Turbo Esprit - stays as the dream picture on the wall. Come the late ‘80s and I’ve scratched all the non-exotic performance saloon, hot hatch and coupe itches I ever had - time to save up and get an Esprit. Since they’d featured on the Lotus Stand at the London Motor Show, I’d lusted after an Ice Blue one, but after about 9 months of looking I couldn’t find a nice one in that colour (what was it with red cars in the late 80s?). I travelled all over the country and found perfection in a white one at a dealer in Devon (bit of a nuisance that I lived in Kent at the time). Did the deal, and had my dreams come true in early 1990. The first year was very difficult with just about everything going wrong that could in a four year old 14k mile car with “full documented service history” but it was eventually sorted out with factory involvement and that’s led on to 21 more years of blissful ownership so far taking in everyday transport, touring holidays, track days, car shows, road rallys ….

There are better cars and I’ve owned a few, but I still admire the TE for being a dream car that lived up to the dream. Its been great, I think I’ll probably keep it!

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

My first car was a 1987 Toyota MR2 which really got me hooked on mid-engine cars and it was my first wedge (and 12 years later I still have it). Having grown up with loving the Esprit in the Bond movies I always had in my mind that I wanted one at some point. I loved the G cars in FYEO, and even though they're briefly in the movie, it was one of my favourite Bond cars. It was like a big brother to the MR2. I'd lusted over them years but they were always out of reach. Then I happened to see one for sale near where my dad just happened to be on a business trip. After much poking and prodding he agreed to go check it out.

Well he agreed to look at it but unfortunately the car wouldn't start and had other issues. But that was enough, at that point I was hooked and had to have one. After a few months I found one that fit what I was looking for and took the plunge. It was 2200 miles away so when it arrived on the transport truck I was giddy. It was the first one I'd ever seen in person and it was mine. It makes me smile just looking at in the garage and I love getting to talk to people about it. It had a non stop stream of people at the British car show last month.

'86 Lotus Esprit Turbo

Andrew, I'm with you about the FYEO cars and *SO* wish that they'd gotten more on-screen action.

I've talked about what hooked me on Esprits in general in previous threads; some of my reasons are the same as everybody else's, some are my own brand of weirdness.

As to why the particular car that I chose, I had narrowed it down to a Turbo for a variety of reasons, not least of which was ergonomics: I'd read in various places that the Turbo had a little more room in the seat than previous models, and I'm a rather strapping lad at 6'4" and 250 lbs. Within the turbo, I decided that I wanted either an '86 or '87 for engineering reasons. The fuel injection was probably the strongest reason, the improved suspension also very attractive.

When it came time to shop, one thing immediately stood out: in the '86 and '87 model years, it seemed like every US car was either black or red, my two least-favourite colours for cars. I particularly dislike red on sports cars because it's the first colour most people think of.

I was REALLY fond of Essex Blue. I have wonderful memories of the insane lust I felt when I first saw the Essex Turbo in my dad's Road & Track magazine when I was 13, and I'd seen an Essex Blue '87 that a guy in my local area owns and I was smitten.

I thought that finding one in EB was hopeless, but then a friend of mine (who owns a black '87) found an ad on an obscure auto-sales site for an Essex Blue '86 in Denver. After a few phone calls with the seller I had a good feeling about the car, so I crossed my fingers and took the plunge. By this time I'd done YEARS of homework so I pretty much knew what I was getting into and I was beside myself with the thought that after 30 years of lusting I was really truly actually about to have an Esprit!

In hindsight, the previous owner wasn't as honest or as clued-in as I'd hoped, and I think I overpaid a bit, and I've had a lot of projects and things to sort out- but like Matt said, I could stare at thing for hours, and drive it even more! I still have moments when I can hardly believe that I actually own this car, and every day I admire its lines from shifting perspective as I pull my other car into the driveway and turn around to park. I've got to the point that I can totally do this maneuver while looking at nothing but the Esprit (which I don't commute in to my current job as the drive is 20 miles of creeping through suburban stop-n-go). After writing this I may have to step outside and have another moment of visual admiration... :wub:

I do feel that holding out for the Essex Blue was a great choice too because not only do I totally love the colour, but so does everybody else: the colour is probably the single trait that gets the more compliments than anything else about this car.

I feel lucky too, for how else could I own a car that is both one of the most iconic cars ever conceived AND a James Bond car, on my meager income? There is no other way.

It's Esprit-lust, and I've got it BIGTIME.

Edited by The Veg

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Ben,

I'm sure you've seen this gent, but still, as Daffy Duck said, darool, darool:

I saw TSWLM when I was 7 years old and loved the car. Fast forward 32 years and I mentioned it to my husband, to which he said "We can do that"

A couple of weeks later he said "Well you want one with a galvanised chassis, which means the S3, and if you are going to do it properly you want a Turbo.". I did the 'female' thing and just nodded.

We found a lovely S3 in a garage in Salisbury (and it was Ice Blue) and arranged a test drive thinking this would be my only chance to drive one.

My husband then informed me that he was bidding on ebay an S3 for my 40th birthday and said those immortal words "we won't get it."

With 4 minutes to go he rings me and says "Has it gone yet?", to which I say "Nope."

Four minutes later I was the proud owner of a S3 Turbo :).

Guess what colour, yep Ice Blue.

Needless to say I love my hubby/mechanic and have realised my childhood dream.

Mmmm...Ice Blue.

It's funny, but no one over here calls it an S3. Yanks reserve that name for the normally-aspirated version that never got over here and call your car the Turbo Esprit.

Matt,

A year or two ago, the owner of S1S2S3 posted an S3 for sale. The widow of the owner wanted to sell it. The car was, to the best of his knowledge, the only legally imported S3 in the States. Had great interest till I found out it needed significant work inside, outside and in the engine bay. Already have one car in that state.

Lyn

What's not to like?

DSCF69501.jpg

I saw the James Bond films as a teenager and was struck by the distinctive shape and equally distinctive interior. In 1983 I went on a factory tour at Hethel to see them being made and then went outside and saw a couple being tested on the track. From then I always loved the car and there were 2 or 3 times in my life when I thought about getting one, but being a cautious fella, always talked myself out of it because of those horror stories you hear from people who have never owned one!

For me, it has to be the G shape car, any one will do but I felt the Turbo was the first one to "do what it said on the tin" and I took the plunge last year. Various issues have meant I have never really got going with it, but I forgive its issues every time I look at it and am determined to get it properly up to scratch over time.

Just look at it .. What's not to like!!!

I was at school when the M100 Elan came out and that's what got me loving Lotus.

Fast forward a few years - I used to drive up to Nelmes of Romford, a dealer in Essex, and lust over the S4 and S4S's that were there.

When I got a bit older still I got in to older cars as they were easier to maintain and I enjoyed working on them. Then I saw the S2 Esprit, fell in love instantly!

What a looker.

post-4350-0-84088400-1343314281.jpg

post-4350-0-02066300-1343314321.jpg

In my childhood years, my father dragged me to a variety of race tracks.

Mostly we went to the Nurburgring, Hockenheim Ring and the Salzburg Ring.

I remember the time some black and gold painted race cars were among the fastest.

I was fascinated. So i was a Lotus-Boy since 5 years old.

Then there was my general interest in technology.

So I dissambled my toys as a child, watched how it works and reassembled the things again.

Then a certain Lotus Esprit S1 was released.

The car was able to swim, dive, shoot rokets and so on ...

Very interessting but that was not with my childlike understanding of technical compatibility.

It was technically impossible. I doubted this car ...

The moment when I suddenly wanted a Esprit was when I saw the movie Pretty Woman.

My colleagues stormed the cinemas to see Julia Roberts.

I watched the movie several times. But to see "my" Esprit.

The spell was broken. I knew I need such a car.

The time of the saving has started.

In addition, my wife urged me to build a house first, then to make her a child and plant a tree.

Then she will agree to buy "such a car".

And now I have 2 Esprits among other Lotus.

I can not imagine to separate with one of the Esprits. I simply love them :wub:

why I went for an esprit? think I was drunk or I am braindead... but we all made that mistake lol. the restoration of my europa took so long I wanted a car I could drive. now I have two lotuses in parts and drive a renault megane, thats the braindead part btw.....

I got a lot of comments at work when I turned up in my TVRs, so I decided to get an Esprit. It had to be black and a running project - and as a bonus it has colour coded door handles as standard! :-)

I would have put in an emoticon or two there but I can't enable them for some reason. :-(

Ged

I got a lot of comments at work when I turned up in my TVRs, so I decided to get an Esprit. It had to be black and a running project - and as a bonus it has colour coded door handles as standard! :-)

I would have put in an emoticon or two there but I can't enable them for some reason. :-(

Ged

Ged,

Between my Elan and JPS Europa, had a TVR as well. I've attached the article from Autoweek magazine. Unfortunately, most of the information is incorrect. The car was French Blue when I bought it. The engine was a Holman & Moody blueprint unit with near 400 hp. Went like stink. Stopping distances were in the range of the Queen Mary II. Still a fun car. Traded it for the JPS.

Lyn

post-9373-0-00911200-1343326884.jpg

Lyn,

In my time I've had a Tasmin 280i, 350i, Griffith 400 and Chimaera 400.

All awesome sounding cars that never let me down, but this time last year I thought it was time to move on and an Esprit was next on my list.

Ged

A bunch of idiot car salesman in a sports car dealership north of Basingstoke, as they messed me around so badly over a 911 Turbo I just had to buy a car that day so on impulse I bought a 2001 V8. Having had a roman purple Europa in my youth and an Excel I just like Lotus cars despite the problems you get with them. I have a love/hate relationship with my Esprit although it is mostly love these days, but there is no doubt about it the combination of looks and performance are hard to beat even when you do as I did recently and compare it to cars twice the price. Will I keep it? yes I will until the 911 Turbo S starts to level out depreciation wise.

It was 1980 and i was 8 years old, my dad took me to the shops in his battered Cortina mk1, on the way there we came to a junction and coming towards us was a lotus Esprit, he kindly let us through by flashing one of his pop up lights as if it was winking us. Im not sure if the other one was broke but looked bloody impressive. At that point i just remember my dad saying " Flash P***k "

From that day onwards it was my dream to have one. It took another 26 years but i got one, a 1980 S2.2. I had just sold my old MGB GT and was speaking to my sister about what i would love to own next, i mentioned my dream was a lotus Esprit and it just so happened that a friend of hers had an Esprit for sale. I went to have a look and saw a very sorry looking 1980 Esprit but 2 things went for it, the first being it was a S2.2 so it was rare, the second thing was the price £1200 so it was cheap but as they say the cheap ones are often the most expensive to own, and so far ive spent 7 grand and thats just for starters! but i bloody love it and couldnt think of anything else i would rather spend my money on.

My family has,for the last 3 generations,always had a lotus hiding somewhere,even if it was parked up at the side of the house I grew up in gathering moss,like my dad's final elan sprint.I'd never been one for the elan/eclat's that my dad had over the years,but the Esprit did float my boat!it was the sleek,low wedge shape that did it for me,and the indescribable feeling I got when I sat in one at an airshow that made my mind up that if I ever had the means,I would buy one!

A relative died and left me some money,and I had no plans to move out of the family home,so with this windfall and my dad's help (he was secretly envious) I set about looking for an Esprit.looked at 4 that ranged from down-right tatty,another that was an everyday runabout with suitable 'patina',to full on 20 year old garage queen with 30k miles.that's the one I went for,paid over the odds,but it was well worth it. Unfortunately 6 months later,I put her in a ditch,and life caught up with me and I forgot about fast cars and got married.

Now I'm back in the market for a v8, and I'm working hard to save up for one. I'm not far off,and look forward to the feeling I got at the airshow once more. I think that's what owning an Esprit is mostly about - the way it makes you feel.