Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Hose - thermostat housing to pipe - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Hose - thermostat housing to pipe

Mike6

Just noticed a small leak on this short bit of pipe following my engine rebuild - yes the only problem detected so far following a complete strip down.

Is there any reason why this pipe should be so expensive from suppliers. With vat and postage I reckon it will not be far short of £60 for a few inches of rubber piping. Are the two ends different sizes, if not couldn't I purchase some nice silicon piping and save a fortune.

Or, am I missing something?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There really is only one Lotus specific hose in the cooling system on the Esprit. And that hose is the large diameter hose from the chassis to the waterpump, the one that winds around the chassis. All of the other hoses can be bought from local auto parts stores that sell Gates hoses, and some are cut from one hose to make one that fits the Lotus.

Are you talking about that large hose? Or one of the other hoses to the water pump/thermostat housing?

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Thanks. Its that big hose about 6 inches long clearly visible in the engine bay above the cambelt that joins the alloy pipe to the thermostat housing. I have renewed a number of other hoses on the car by purchasing reinforced silicon piping from various ebay suppliers. All seems ok but having got the car going and noticing drips of water coming from that original pipe I thought I would just order one straight away from SJs but not at that price.

I will now measure the diameter and source another red silicon one - the red piping looks really nice

Did you use the old clips ? If so put new ones on, the reasoning is they remember where (deformed) before, you put them back and they feel tight, but aren't. A wise old mechanic taught me that one.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Yes Roger must hang my head in shame and admit I did use the old clips. The pipe had massive indentations of the old clips permanently impressed on them so thought using the old clips in exactly the same location would be preferable. If I replace the clips I will have to remove one end of the pipe so may as well source a silicon one.

Thanks. Its that big hose about 6 inches long clearly visible in the engine bay above the cambelt that joins the alloy pipe to the thermostat housing. I have renewed a number of other hoses on the car by purchasing reinforced silicon piping from various ebay suppliers. All seems ok but having got the car going and noticing drips of water coming from that original pipe I thought I would just order one straight away from SJs but not at that price.

I will now measure the diameter and source another red silicon one - the red piping looks really nice

Ok, that hose is made from Gates hose # 20877

LOCATION Inlet manifold to water pump

LOTUS PART #A912E2017F

GATES HOSE/ 20877

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Not sure that is the hose I am referring to. The one I want is that one high up in the engine bay connecting directly to the top of the thermostat housing. The other side connects to the alloy pipe which then curves downwards and has various electrical connections.

There is another hose of similar length which connects between the water pump and carbs

ah, ok. That is

Lotus Part #B912E1839F Thermostat housing to pipe Use Gates # 20841 cut and use other section for outlet pipe

Lotus Part #A082K4207K Outlet pipe to chassis pipe

from above to chassis pipe.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Thanks Travis. Just checked UK sites and no-one seems to Stock Gates 20841. Guess the pipe is not simply a straight piece which is why UK stockists can charge such a premium. May just try a 38mm straight piece and see how I get on,

It's on ebay and Amazon too... You cut the reducer section off for the hose you need.

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B000C2UAI8

Necked down section visible on the right of this image

21B8JSDHJTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

FYI, I have used that Gates hose to replace the related hoses on my 89SE as well as an '83 Turbo. It does work.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Derek

Could only find a US address for Rockauto on my search engine. Everything points back to US for supply and there is a £34 carriage.

Could you let me have the full webaddress for Rockauto UK

Thanks

Hmm, well even though it's a .co.uk website with a London telephone number it looks like the part still gets shipped from the 'States with a £34.61 delivery charge (£4.65 if it were to one of the 48 States!). Sorry.

From this picture http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2424 it looks like it reduces in bore fairly quickly on the short leg if that helps find an alternative.

Edited by sailorbob

Gave up in the end and purchased a new one from SJs. Whilst warming the car up following the rebuild I could hear a sort of hissing noise coming from the carbs and petrol was appearing. The o rings seem to be leaking so ordered new ones at the same time. All good fun

• 5 years later...

I'm gonna revive this thread with an update. The thermostat housing hose is now £17 + freight and VAT from SJ (about £25 all up). B912E1839F

Gates 20841 is £15.43 delivered to the UK from Rock Auto

Edited by cammmy

• 1 year later...

Travis -

Where are you getting the cross-reference from Lotus part -> Gates part? I'm looking at replacing all the coolant hoses on my '89 non-SE Turbo and a complete cross-ref would be invaluable!

Thanks -

Steve.

@BritInNY

There's an .xls file in the Yahoo Groups Turbo Esprit group that has various Gates hoses that can be used to replace hoses in the Esprit.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TURBOESPRIT/files/CrossReferenceGuide/

You'll need to request access to the group

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

27 minutes ago, Vulcan Grey said:

@BritInNY

There's an .xls file in the Yahoo Groups Turbo Esprit group that has various Gates hoses that can be used to replace hoses in the Esprit.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TURBOESPRIT/files/CrossReferenceGuide/

You'll need to request access to the group

Thanks for the info, Travis!