Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
First time Esprit owner - Introductions - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

First time Esprit owner

peter_kirkham

Hello TLF. Just introducing myself as a new Lotus owner. Always been a lifelong aspiration to own a Lotus, but my job has led me to various parts of the world over the last 12 years. Now that I'm back in the UK, and with permission from my wife, I've finally bought one. Piccie isn't great as I just quickly snapped it, but you can see it's unmistakeably a Sport 350.

post-14924-0-71319300-1346927174.jpg

I'm looking forward to a long and wonderful relationship ahead of us, although I'm nervous that the path will be filled with many exciting patches. My little boys both think it's an excellent purchase.

Only lament so far is that the fuel gauge heads towards empty at an alarming rate and sometimes seems to have a mind of it's own, so I've come to the conclusion that it's more of a guide and not that accurate? Some other threads on this forum seem to suggest that until the low fuel tell comes on, you can actually drive around quite happily with the needle sitting on empty. I'm not that game!

Edited by peter_kirkham

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi welcome to the forum, lovely looking car, which number it's it?.

There are two fuel tanks linked with a balance pipe, the fuel sender is mounted in one tank, so as you go round corners fuel can go from one tank to the other therefore giving variable readings! After driving for a few hundred yards in a straight line you will have an accurate rereadings:)

Welcome, from another Sport350 owner (no.16)

re. fuel consumption, I soon discovered there is a relativity formula to this..................the bigger the smiles, the higher the fuel bills!

Have fun.

Dont worry,be happy.............

Thanks for the welcomes :-) It is indeed number '007'. For some reason referring to it as '7' just doesn't seem fair to the car, and the little plaque in the car actually has '007' stamped on it to.

Thanks for advice on the fuel tanks steve, but I think the issue I have might be slightly different. Basically when driving along in a straight line the fuel will be on say 1/2 full, and five minutes later, still in a straight line (driving down the motorway) it will have crept UP by about 1/8. Maybe the fuel isn't equalising very quickly? Anyway, it's a minor issue, and it seems that if Martin's formula holds any truth then I am going to have to train my poker face in order to keep the fuel bills under control.

• Gold FFM

Welcome to TLF Peter. :welcome:

Not a bad way to start. First time Esprit owner. A Sport 350 no less! :thumbsup:

Any questions on forum use or issues, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

It's quite a famous car, having been to many, many shows and appearing in a good number of magazines.

http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/features/octane_features/249580/lotus_esprit_sport_300_vs_sport_350.html

I've the full set of photo's (100+) from that article I'm happy to send over to you?

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Thats a pain, could be a dirty joint somewhere. If you join the forum as a full member you'll get discounts at lots of places, worth it if you need any parts, plus if bibs is in a good mood he might give you a tlf mug :)

Welcome, my car has a similar rather eratic fuel guage too, if you fancy a nice drive to meet fellow esprit V8 owners check out our local monthly meet in Hampshire it's a pleasant drive down to where we meet and you can chat to a bunch of anoraks about V8's. we also meet up with the South Coast Pistonheads so it may be worth checking out the events that are posted there, particularly the breakfast meetings I'm always there in either my V8 or an Alpine A610 so if you fancy the idea let me know and I'll pop the details over to you.

Hi Peter, what a classy way to start your relationship with Lotus :) what are you used to driving for fun?

"All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad."

~ Jeremy Clarkson (about the Lotus Esprit)

• Gold FFM

Welcome Peter.

That sure is some way to start a Lotus relationship! Beautiful car indeed. :)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Well the Sport 350 is a big step up from previous cars. I did once have a Subaru WRX when I was living briefly in the US, but for the past 8 years I've been living and working in Singapore where my wife and I shared a Skoda Octavia VRS. So the current Sport 350 is a completely different experience for me.

What I have found already is that the ownership reminds me a bit of the first car I learned to drive, which was my parent's Land Rover 110 County. This was also a petrol V8, but with a completely different performance nature of course. In the UK they're fairly common, but because my folks live in Australia where they are quite rare, the car always used to get noticed. I also remember learning to live with the little quirks and how they became part of the car's character, and were never considered faults. I have a strange feeling that Lotus ownership will be similarly rewarding :-) That, and both cars seem to have a similar thirsty nature!

@Bibs: Thanks for sharing the article. The history that came with the car has a few of the original magazine articles with it as well. Are the photos you have digital? Would be nice to take you up on your offer and see them if they are.

@ B1 MRA: Would be interested in meeting up with some fellow Esprit owners at some point in the future. At the moment I've just been back in the UK for less than a month after a hiatus overseas for over 12 years and things are quite hectic at weekends at the moment, so it might be a little while before I'm able to wrangle a leave pass from my wife! However I appreciate the invite and I'll look into it when I'm more settled down, so please do send me the details.

I'll keep you posted on any Breakfast Club meets with the South Coast Pistonheads lot as it allows for the cars to be seen during the day whereas our evening meeting the first Monday in every month is now plunged into darkness. We do have a christmas dinner planned for the 10th December at the very nice pub we meet in in Wickham Square and we have provisionally booked 14 places you are welcome along if you fancy.

Good on ya 007! I have had my V8 for just over 3 years now and ownership cost is not as bad - just drive it as much as you can and regular servicing as you would with any car. Last week I replaced both rear wheel bearings and only cost just under $350 which included labour as well. And it's not a hard job and took my mechanic just over 2 hours.

I have no issue with the accuracy of my fuel gauge although as with others who mentioned how quickly the fuel gauge heads south.......it's due to the pressure from the right foot! Pure driving pleasure most of us would say I'm sure. There is nothing like a twin turbo V8 mate. Goes like the clappers! Enjoy your 350 mate. Cheers .

• 4 weeks later...

Car looks amazing, love the 007 reference too, I'm new to esprit ownership too they are by far the best looking car ever in my eyes, every boys drawing of a fast car would have the esprit side on shape so it's no wonder we all love em even if they have there faults.

Car looks amazing, love the 007 reference too, I'm new to esprit ownership too they are by far the best looking car ever in my eyes, every boys drawing of a fast car would have the esprit side on shape so it's no wonder we all love em even if they have there faults.

Faults ????

Welcome to Lotus ownership, the word you are looking for is ....... eeerrrmmmmm???

someone remind me please ??

Dont worry,be happy.............