Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Wiring diagram and help Please? - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Wiring diagram and help Please?

badams

Hi All,

Please has anyone got pic of a wiring diagram for a 1979 Lotus Eliite as my newly acquired motor has been fecked about with that much ie it was fitted with an acme cant be arsholed to fit it properly botch alarm system that seems to be tapped in to every wire a going :censored: I am still trying to work out whats original and whats not i have an OLD Elite workshop manual that is made up from parchment and seems to relate to every other car ever made but NOT a Lotus :unsure: So please any info or advice very very much appreciated OR is there any kind knowledgable member in the Tamworth area who can perhaps come to my abode and help i can provide a few beer tokens :cheers:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear of your wiring problems.

Where is Tamworth? Is it the one in the midlands?

What is the issue? whats not there? Do you have power to the coil? or is it the starter circuit that's playing up?

I have a manual, but it would be a couple of days before I could copy the wiring diagram.

Sorry to hear of your wiring problems.

Where is Tamworth? Is it the one in the midlands?

What is the issue? whats not there? Do you have power to the coil? or is it the starter circuit that's playing up?

I have a manual, but it would be a couple of days before I could copy the wiring diagram.

Hi Dunc,

Yes Tamworth in Staffs ie b77 5nf the starter motor turns freely so no probs there but no spark from coil i have removed most of the acme wiring shite :rant: but that many wires have been spliced and taped up its a bladdy joke :censored:

Hi

I have a workshop maual that includes the wiring diagram. You can either loan the manual or I can copy the wiring and post it to you. I am in Sheldon, not that far from Tamworth. I do also have a complete spares manual if you need to peruse for parts. You can contact me via email dcorns@momentumskills.org

David Corns

Hi

I have a workshop maual that includes the wiring diagram. You can either loan the manual or I can copy the wiring and post it to you. I am in Sheldon, not that far from Tamworth. I do also have a complete spares manual if you need to peruse for parts. You can contact me via email dcorns@momentumskills.org

David Corns

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the offer mate Rex has said he will email me a copy of a wiring diagram :bounce: i moved from Sheldon 12 months ago i lived there nearly 19 years in Larne road and Bellevue road ;)

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the offer mate Rex has said he will email me a copy of a wiring diagram :bounce: i moved from Sheldon 12 months ago i lived there nearly 19 years in Larne road and Bellevue road ;)

Thanks Rex i recieved the wiring diagram BUT it seems my Lotus is a mongrel ie the wires do not match the diagram so its back to basics and trying to trace wires back to where they originally came from :huh: but thanks anyway :unworthy:

Guest saraphee

Chas - I faced the same problem, sort of.

In the manual there are 4 wiring diagrams. Federal and Non-Federal, with both left and right hand drive versions.

We (my Thai electrician & I) started from the basis that I had acquired a Federal, left hand drive car - but the wires we had did not fit that diagram, on closer examination it didn't fit any of the other three versions either.

We then had to take an executive decision. What we had and what we were going to have were far apart. We started with a US import that had been fitted at some stage with a 1600 cc Toyota engine & manual box. What we were building was a right hand drive UK spec car but fitted with a BMW M44 engine & auto box, plus an electrically clutched Eaton supercharger.

It became easier for us to rip out all the wiring and just build new looms throughout, except for those controlling the engine/gearbox/breathing systems because we got those when we bought the engine setup. The only minor complication was a little extra wiring to accommodate the Eaton clutch and a few sensors in the inlet manifold set up.

It took about 60+ man hours to do it and cost me nearly 180 quid!

But it was easier than struggling with what wiring was festooned about the engine bay and interior - much of which was unrecognisable, particularly behind the instrument & switch panels.

Edited by saraphee

Chas - I faced the same problem, sort of.

In the manual there are 4 wiring diagrams. Federal and Non-Federal, with both left and right hand drive versions.

We (my Thai electrician & I) started from the basis that I had acquired a Federal, left hand drive car - but the wires we had did not fit that diagram, on closer examination it didn't fit any of the other three versions either.

We then had to take an executive decision. What we had and what we were going to have were far apart. We started with a US import that had been fitted at some stage with a 1600 cc Toyota engine & manual box. What we were building was a right hand drive UK spec car but fitted with a BMW M44 engine & auto box, plus an electrically clutched Eaton supercharger.

It became easier for us to rip out all the wiring and just build new looms throughout, except for those controlling the engine/gearbox/breathing systems because we got those when we bought the engine setup. The only minor complication was a little extra wiring to accommodate the Eaton clutch and a few sensors in the inlet manifold set up.

It took about 60+ man hours to do it and cost me nearly 180 quid!

But it was easier than struggling with what wiring was festooned about the engine bay and interior - much of which was unrecognisable, particularly behind the instrument & switch panels.

Hi Rex,

Sounds daunting i am sure i will get there in the end the main problem as i said was the botched up alarm system plus the oplus igintion system was all tapped into each other and under the dash/footwell is a nightmare i have two plastic looking relay things under the dash (drivers side) they look original any ideas :huh: i will post a pic later :unworthy:

Hi Chas, my workshop manual has wiring diagrams for late series 1 Eclat as well as the federal and non federal lhd and rhd variants, have you got these, I have also got the series 2.2 eclat diagram, although I'm sure that this is completely different to the series 1 cars wiring that I have stripped. I it is of any help I should be able to scan and email you them tonight if you pm your email address.

Regards Dan (racing eclat 22)

Hi Chas, my workshop manual has wiring diagrams for late series 1 Eclat as well as the federal and non federal lhd and rhd variants, have you got these, I have also got the series 2.2 eclat diagram, although I'm sure that this is completely different to the series 1 cars wiring that I have stripped. I it is of any help I should be able to scan and email you them tonight if you pm your email address.

Regards Dan (racing eclat 22)

Hi Dan,

P/M sent :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for all the wiring diagrams me being the moron and my garage being that narrow i can hardly get in my Lotus i now discover the original diagram i have does relate to the wiring on my car albeit from under the fuse box in the footwell not from the engine bay doh :huh:

yes and the top of the fusebox on the diagram is the bottom in the car if I remember correctly. The crappy old fusebox was one of the first things I took off my car!

Good luck, wiring is a pain but whilst time consuming it is at least very cheap or free to do.

Mat.

yes and the top of the fusebox on the diagram is the bottom in the car if I remember correctly. The crappy old fusebox was one of the first things I took off my car!

Good luck, wiring is a pain but whilst time consuming it is at least very cheap or free to do.

Mat.

Thanks mate ;)

Dan,

Sorry to hijack, but could you send me a copy of the series 1 wiring diagram please? I have the series 2 but my loom seems to have extra wires so I'm wondering if its a modded series 1 loom they had laying about?

Cheers

Steve

Hi Dan

Sorry to tag along like this as you are not a public library but you wouldn`t be able to scan a 2.2 wiring diagram to me ?

I`m on rubinsteindan@hotmail.com

-it`s a genuine request not a spurious one, as the dashboard fuse keeps blowing on my Elite 2.2 (despite my trying a bigger one), and incidentally the cooling fans suffer from a loose connection and their fuse blew as well (so far only once...)

Thanks again for your time,

Regards

Dan

• 10 years later...

Hi all

I looking for a uk elite 501 1979 etc wiring diagram please

I have the same problem with an aftermarket immobiliser wires everywhere and no logic

So if I ask nicely can anyone email me a diagram 

alderwood10@yahoo.co.uk 

Arthur