Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Probably selling my Elite soon ? - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Probably selling my Elite soon ?

badams

Hi All,

Having bought my Elite only a month ago i am selling it as i cannot for the life of me fathom out the wiring problem i have no experience with Lotus cars and think buying one was a big mistake please read my previous posts for more info on the car. I am going back to what i know ie a Rover P6b i have one waiting for me so the first £900 and my Elite is yours wich has a Galvanised chassis fitted please P/M me email cbv8@hotmail.com or ring me for more info 07510162588 the car will be on Ebay soon

Regards,

Chas.

Edited by badams

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested but the cost of shipping it to Kent would be prohibitive for me I think, what sort of condition is the interior in? the body looks great on the pic you have.

Regards Steve

Hi Steve,

The interior is in very good condition a bit saggy being nylon or whatever it is made from or is that how it ages :huh: you are about 180 miles from me ! If you were GENUINELY interested i would drop it to £800 if that helps with transportation costs but would want it moved as soon as you can :) Mark its got nothing to do with being (a home brewed engine swap) as you put it :rolleyes: I like the idea of a rust free body and love the design of the Elite and having a Galvanised chassis as is no more rust worries and fitted with THE ROVER V8 engine makes it more attractive to me than the original 4 pot :thumbsup: I am no electrics buff and openly admit it i hate the electrickery with a vengance :realmad: and this is just beyond my miniscule brain :blush: i now have the chance of buying a tidy Rover P6b which i know like these cars like the back of my hand and wish i had not sold mine some 10 years ago so :cry: home is where the heart is me thinks ;)

OK it just rankles when people say things like "i have no experience with Lotus cars and think buying one was a big mistake" when the problem lies not with the marque, but possibly with the fact it's been chopped about a bit..

Casual quotes like this spread and keep our cars in the doldrums image wise. It was sold and taken on as a project & wiring is wiring; if it was a £900 Capri with a Rover swap you could have the same issues but wouldn't denigrate Ford in general.

And breathe.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Mark,

Although i agree to a degree with what your saying but i will say it again ITS GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING FITTED WITH A Rover engine if your meaning means the Rover bit being fitted is the (chopped about a bit) as you put it :huh: At the end of the day i have no guilt in selling this car on as i bought it i made a mistake i am selling it so whats the big issue :rant: It has a Galv chassis a Holley carb and Offey manifold fitted only needs a new owner with more enthusiasm than myself christ man most people would give thier right arm for these bits if they keep the marque on the road and its cheep :rolleyes:

Chas,

I do empathise.

Classic car wiring is as it is. Platitude, I know but have you thought of taking a vehicle electrics course of the like? How about a book or good website.

The wiring on my Esprit looked a complete nightmare - see my resto thread for the spaghetti picture - but working through the wiring diagram carefully, identifying all the relays, diodes, etc has given me an edge of understanding that has enabled me to refit the car with minimal (really!) errors and problems. Infact, I could say that the wiring has ended up the easiest bit of it all.

I had no prior knowledge of anything really but all is learnable.

Good luck though - the Elite is a truly rare and beautiful car and does need to be cherished.

Simon

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

hope somebody takes it on....

All the hard work of the v8 conversions has been done by the looks of things. Getting voltage to the coil and the starter solenoid from the key isn't that hard, even if you have to start from scratch.

Somebody give it a home. If I had more time, I probably would....

NB - they are WONDERFUL cars with the V8. I suspect if the car had been in running order and he had a chance to drive it before pulling the alarm system and wiring off the engine, it would be a keeper...

The character of the car changes massively when it has that burble and torque. It becomes a muscular 70's GT. Think espada, Lele, Indy....

took mine out in the rain today. Wheelspin from a 1/4 throttle.... you don't get that with a 912/907!

somone buy it!

Edited by Dunc

Chopped wiring harnesses are a nightmare. The air conditioning on my red one isn't working but I've never bothered having any work done as there's a receipt for somebody to investigate the system. They failed to get it working as the harness for that had been altered from standard, moving the fuse& relay parts of the air conditioning system to the NS wing. To try and trace back every wire and then effectively draw up a revised wiring diagram is a nightmare.

I fully sympathise with Chas for deciding that it's not worth the massive amount of time & effort. It's different if the car was needing a full strip & rebuild restoration. You get the opportunity to remove everything that covers/ encloses/ hides the wiring and can then easily trace back wires.

Chas,

I'm afraid the transport will still put the overall cost of purchase over a grand and having already got a v8 Eclat in pieces in the garage I'll let someone else have the first offer. If it goes on ebay I may well be tempted into bidding though.

Alternatively you could buy a 12v coil and run and temporarily power it from the 12v feed to the brake resorvoir fluid level switch (its a spade connector so will pug straight on then turn the key- you should have a spark!

This may make you inclined to keep it, or at least let you sell it as a runner with wiring issues.

Regards

Hi All,

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice but mind is made up and i have now aquired a Rover P6b it is a real shame there is no more interest in the car by genuine Lotus owners on the forum. I now need the car gone asap now as i take del of my P6 this wed or thu so space is needed i will put the car on Ebay at the end of the week so anyone seriously interested get your skates on.

Regards,

Chas.

Edited by badams

Hi Chas,

Might help if you can upload a few pictures of the car on the forum. Also I'm sure you can place an advert on the forum for free :) It should get sent to other members straight away.

If the car was in Malta , I'd jump on it no problem for that price.. but It would cost about 4 times what your asking till I ship it over and register :(

Vin Taylor

• 2 weeks later...