Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Head Gasket, which one ? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Head Gasket, which one ?

fjmuurling

As i'm in the process of replacing the HG on my SE, I like to know which one should I use. I read the various articles on the forum and found out that there are severel types/makes i.e. Goetz / Cooper etc. There are HeadGaskets with an copper ring for the sealing of the oil channnel and with an green Viton ring instead of the copper ring.

The old gasket in my car had the green viton ring and and was reinforced with a wire mesh. The new one I have has the copper ring for the sealing of the oil channel and a small bead / ridge along the outer perimeter of the gasket also it feels like it is rubberized.

What are the differences between the various gaskets, and how can I tell which one is which (cooper/goetz etc). More important which one should I use (and why) ??

Freek

Esprit Freak

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd use Goetz. I believe Coopers is ok but an original gasket. The new one you describe sounds exactly the same as the one I fitted a few months ago which came as part of a Goetz head gasket set from SJs but had Lotus labels on the packaging.

I used this one years ago to replace the original metal gasket.

P4021896.JPG

But lately the parts suppliers have sent me this one.

IMG_2667.JPG

Which I blew at the racetrack 6k miles later... though I had lost a gallon of coolant due to a bad pressure cap, and the engine had gone lean with a bad fuel pump.

IMG_3928.JPG

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Yeah JAE.

I don't know that it was a problem with the headgasket, since I had been running lean for a while, cylinder #4 was lean, and the head gasket blew at #4. Also loosing a gallon of coolant out the overflow due to a pressure cap blowing at 10psi didn't help.

I rebuilt the motor, put in the same type of gasket, replaced the fuel pump, replaced the pressure cap, and installed a wideband sensor, and now everything is fine, and A:F R is good.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

thx for the answers,

the one I bought (with a lot of other stuff from SWLC) looks like the one shown in the second picture in post #4. If I read everything right than the HG I have is a Goetz one which is the preferred one to use.

Freek

Esprit Freak

Just check your liner nip before assembling the head onto the engine.

IMG_3973.JPG

IMG_3974.JPG

IMG_3975.JPG

Also replace your O2 sensor (BOSCH 13030) if you had coolant in your exhaust.

Check for coolant in the oil... I ended up taking the entire motor apart to clean all of that.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Hi Travis,

Cilinderliner nip already checked, all values are 0.00 mm except one (cylinder #3 right side) which is -0.01 mm (liner below block) so all is well within the Lotus specification. No coolant in the Oil so should be no problem. I will keep the O2 in mind but I as far as I know there was no coolant in the exhaust. My HG failure was not as catastrofic as yours.

Esprit Freak

Just got off the phone with SWLC (my HG and other parts supplier, very friendly people) and they confirmed that the HG I have is an original Lotus HG. Lotus supplies parts nowadays in bulk / without original packaging etc.

Esprit Freak

• 2 months later...

As it looks like the black HG with the copper o-ring for the oil feed is not an original one, I decided to order a new one at my local Lotus Parts Supplier which I fitted a couple of days ago. The new one is for sure a goetze one and came fully sealed. Just before fitting I took some pictures. I also measured the thickness which is around 1.91 mm. The black one with the copper ring was around 1.7 mm (both measured berofe use).

post-721-0-97588400-1354407508.jpg

post-721-0-22563700-1354407510.jpg

Esprit Freak

• 4 weeks later...

I had to buy two for my top overhaul a couple of years ago. Apparently the uprated head bolts/studs on my car are slightly bigger than the originals, so my mechanic had to drill some of the holes out. First one ripped... and because I'm the customer with a non-standard motor it was MY fault so I had to buy another!

I've not been back since...

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"