Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Classic Car Rescue - new TV show - Page 3 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Classic Car Rescue - new TV show

FRANTIC FRANC

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the majority opinion on this show supports the previously expressed concerns from the true profession, on how misguided misleading and of poor image this type of 'show' can make the restoration and classic industries and communities gain. this is pure 80's back street garage behaviour, before regulating the type and quality ofwork became a standard to work to. The title 'classic. Car rescue' should refer to what happens to the vehicles post show...they get rescued by a true professional or enthusiast from the pair of plonkers bodging and dodging proper repairs in the vain hope they can falsify a profit and pass on another heap to an unsuspecting joe public, furthering a poor image for the trade and community, no doubt destroying someones childhood dream of owning that car when they discover the truth...putting a nail in the coffin of enthuiasm for classics and a pillar under the eurobox buyers camp.

Hopefully there will be a second series showing what happened to all these potential beauties and how they were then rescued and properly restored to a quality standard by both enthusiasts and professionals alike...which would do far more to evoke interest, enthusiasm and future owners who would spend hard earned money on a project, regardless of budget levels and experience.....

Remember this part of the programme?- "The distributor cap is the most important part of the car, if this isn't

any good the car won't start which is why I'm taking the time with a screwdriver to clean any carbon from it

and scrape the contacts to ensure this engine will run well."

Did he not know he could buy a new cap for a fiver from German & Swedish?

Or should that be a Deep Sea Diver.

LOL - I thought exactly the same thing! Bet they ended using a new one in the end!

Like all these sort of shows I don't watch them for reference, just for entertainment value...

I'm guessing the 911 was either a very late 2.7 or a 3.0 pre SC, as mentioned earlier fitted with a 3.2 carrera engine.

I was surprised that the "valuation expert" didn't pick up on the engine & also the value he put on the car seeing as it was far from original

I think I'm most convinced by 'Changes' argument. These shows might just be 'infotainment', but Mike Brewer (nice enough bloke, interviewed him for the radio once) is peddling a big fat lie when he says he's made a grand profit on a car, yet not factored in the costs of collection or workshop time. If he made it crystal clear that the work could be done by anyone mechanically basically competent on a driveway in the rain I'd be less critical - but he doesn't! I'd love to work on Lottie, but I'm useless with spanners and don't have a garage so I have to pay someone else to work on her.

And the thing is, if the show is aimed at idiots - how many buy basket cases, a Halfords socket set and a couple of aerosols and expect to make a killing?

I've worked in telly and a proper resto job just wouldn't work - again the Mark Evans stuff is probably closest to reality (but still a good way off). As another poster has noted, these 'improvement' shows all introduce an arbitrary deadline and some internecine angst to ratchet up the tension - but that holds casual viewers over the interminable ad breaks. What I also hate is that an hour programme, less the breaks, contains at best 20 minutes of fresh content - from the very start they're throwing forwards ('coming up in part x') or restating ('earlier in the show we saw') to the point where I record them all now and fast forward the wasted 40 minutes.

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

Is there no chance that some Lotus guys can rescue (borrow or liberate) the Excel before it is butchered and worthless?

• 2 weeks later...

Mindless rubbish with unnecesary deadlines. This weeks American car was marginally better but oh dear you certainly wouldnt to win one of those restored (Butchered) cars.

Mario does need some lessons! I'd love to work for their special effects team too - fairly sure they add a bit of smoke in there.

The American team actually seemed fairly skilled though - a lot of work to rebuild those sills and floor plans, and without any drama!

I think you are right - this is and should be considered a soap opera:- scripted, poor acting and the odd crumby effect.

There, I can enjoy it now.

Or not, as the case would be.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Hello, i'm after an engine for a ford mustang - impossible to find.

ditto a windscreen apparently, in America. Why do you need a windscreen?

well i picked it up and threw it.

The inspectors coming soon so we have to work day and night-

Can't he just come the next day? Oh yeah...

I'm starting to enjoy it!

Well, this is the same inspector from the UK side of the series, so probably came over on the same plane that Bernie did.

Hilarious! :rofl:

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

I had a laugh at the poor acting and even worse continuity when Mario "dropped" the screen from the Mustang.

So they offer up the screen to the car, it has a brown top tint and minimal occluded area at the base. They take it out, cut to Mario throwing screen upwards and it landing on-shot (so at least 2 cameras involved if it's the same take). The screen that lands and breaks, it has a green top tint and approx 6 inches of black occlusion at the base.

Good job that wasn't staged.

I don't think people here get this program, it's not for car enthusiast, it's for people that might have a vague interest in cars and also watch X factor and Towie. That's why it's prime time. If it were to get to nerdy people will switch off.