Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Foredit white part either side of engine bay? What is it? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Foredit white part either side of engine bay? What is it?

Hey guys, I'm fixing the split hose syndrome (except upon removal of the side panels the hose is soft, supple and in good condition....?!). Fuel tanks have no rust. Fuel cap seals are new. So no idea where the smell is from but anyway I also found this, what is it? Is says Foredit cambiaro spa? White cylinder thing with a tube going into the engine bay...

post-13083-0-19020900-1350629634.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

It's for pumping air into the cabin after doing the Esprit submarine thing. :yes:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Looks like the purge pumps fitted to the Excels, so I assume it's the same for the later carbed Esprits. It reduces the hot starting issues with carbed cars where the fuel evaporates from the carb chambers, making the mixture way too rich.

Seems to be a hit starting help thing. To be fair I've never had hot starting issues so if its a simple device it might actually still be working which is good given I'm sure it's now unavailable and even more sure there is no replacement. Where would I find my purge pump...? Doesn't that whine away if you turn the car off too hot I've never heard it or seen it?

That is your purge pump. It should run after shut down once your engine is up to temperature, then shut off once your engine has cooled to a certain temperature. You should be able to hear it running once you have shut down a warm/hot engine.

It's purpose is to introduce fresh air to the plenum to aid hot start.

The part is obsolete now but is easily and cheaply repairable.

Hope this helps,

Ged

Some people remove this and then blank off the hole on the plenum and have reported no problems. I left mine in place. You can test if it is working by removing the pipe at the plenum and blowing down it, you should have minimal resistance. Then if you turn the ignition key without starting car the valve should shut and you cannot blow down the pipe. This is to prevent petrol and boost pressure escaping into the purge pump during normal running.

There is a writeup in the technical section of excel.net which shows how to swap the electric motor for a one from maplin. No idea if its needed in a esprit ( never had mine running) but my excel with same engine it was a git to start when hot . Didnt look too cool at the petrol station filling up after a run :( .

Mike,

What you described above is how to see if the Solenoid valve is actuating as it should.

There is no point removing the purge pump when it only takes a HA87U/RE385 12v electric motor for £5.99 from Maplins and an hour or so of your time to fix.

It would probably take as long to remove the purge pump and block off the plenum outlet.

Ged

I agree Ged, didnt know the motor was that cheap -you live and learn. However there are Lotus owners who have stripped all this out along with that little gadget that increases throttle speed to compensate for aircon power drain

• 1 year later...

Am I right in saying this should make a whining sound when I turn off an engine which is above auto-fan cut in temp, or turned off above 90ish? I've never heard it. As such I'm not sure it works and I enjoy replacing things preventatively but maplin don't ship to Australia. Any kind soul out there want to let me transfer then seven quid plus shipping plus shipping to Australia?? http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/mfa-general-purpose-motor-11500rpm-ha87u

Also, my throttle jack doesn't cut in when I turn the aircon on ...I'd love that to work too!! Any hints?

Open the pump up and find something similar online it's only a basic motor. Just the ac not energising. The tgs or it doesn't work at all

• 1 year later...

I never ended up touching this thing but I just noticed the thing is stupidly hot to touch (similar to grabbing a mug you've just poured boiled water into) after I shut the car down.  It makes no noise.  Fire hazard much above the fuel tank lol?!  I'm not sure it's meant to get hot when it doesn't work...when electrical parts get hot and don't work I'm pretty that means they are stuffed...shame that Maplin part number is wrong this part is loooong out of stock 

The correct part number for this item is the current eBay part number I just bought. 291562502346. It's available from jaguar under their part number and is identical in every way even the manufacturers part number is tda832, jaguar call it CAC3939.  This is still available and is not the purge pump itself it's the 3 way valve generally used in fuel metering applications to direct fuel use from LH tank to RH tank (the third setting being neither, shutoff).  In the lotus application it has the novel use of being an 2-setting on/off valve, opening when you switch off the ignition and coolant temp more than 70c so that the purge pump may purge the plenum of hot air.  Otherwise it is electronically closed so plenum pressure is not lost.   100 dollars for whoever can find the actual purge pump current part number or nearest replacement, seemingly a "foredit" part.   

Open it up and the motor will have a spec label on it. Just go to your local electronics shop and buy one the same spec and size. It really is nothing special just a small motor.  It just happens that in the uk a number of us have used the maplin one as it fits and there is a mapliin in most big towns. I its hot you might stand a chance of reviving it. Mine was totally dead. The biggest problem is splitting the casing carefully which will need cutting around the bonded seam with a junior hacksaw.

Ahhh take a look it doesn't need a hack saw just careful prying with the sharpened paint scraper to get the leverage.  I can see inside the motor, the carbon brush on one side is completely gone.  I'll take it to a reminder as its nearly impossible to open to motor yourself but then it will be fixed!  Above in the pic is also the solenoid that should open when the ignition is turned off and t= > 70c.   Mine doesn't work, just gets really hot, have ordered a new NOS one from jaguar they call it's CAC3939 but its identical, the lotus and jaguar part are both labelled TDA832 on the part itself.  

image.jpeg