Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
project #099 -- Destination silly fast - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

project #099 -- Destination silly fast

Here's a shot of the engine in plastic.. patiently awaiting it's additional parts and a place in it's natural home..

D1E3CC90-C533-4DB0-B792-5B9BEBD067AE_zps

I'm not sure if you all have seen my rear car cover.. but I spent a night sewing it up a year or so ago.. It has prevented many many scratches, chips etc.. you can even rest all your tools on the side of the car now..

F2C50BC1-B5F3-40BB-AF10-2BADA00965F7_zps

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I received my Thrust bearings and finally got to install them and torque up my crankshaft finally. Here's a shot of the torque process...

7D8B0D68-96DE-4208-8222-7374994C2F8A_zps

And my favorite torque wrench.. I love this thing. It is so much more accurate than a standard "click type" wrench

E0F49798-9625-45B4-BB97-2DD0A6B0AEBD_zps

I also decided to chase every thread in the block..

E351EC73-92EB-4FB1-8C00-E5ACC0B8C347_zps

And then.. I got bored and went to the neighbors place and spent 6 hours (at least) polishing the intake for his Fox Body Mustang GT

Before...

D9F3BE10-F191-4A61-B7BB-55AD1EAA6C62_zps

After

F2C51D64-9720-4D55-823F-B06CEFB47006_zps

And finally.. I have my JE forged v8 pistons available for purchase now. They were in the engine for 2000 miles.

E635F435-6C1F-4862-A1D6-FD747EAD4035_zps

Make me an offer :)

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

• 2 weeks later...

Well.. I got a little more done. Managed to get my chain tensioned with my handy tool I had custom made by a friend of mine:

683DD0C4-63C9-4B6F-BAF2-134D971DD9F6_zps

And.. The same friend managed to make me a keyed setup for the bottom cam-belt gears:

263F10AF-ECE5-4983-AB97-F4A50E6A3B91_zps

And he made me some egr block off plates and a delete kit for the Secondary Air injection. I will post pics of those when I get them mounted on the heads etc..

Well. My cousin came down this weekend and we decided to polish some more bits. We polished the coolant pipes and the intercooler reservoir. After that.. we got ambitious.. and decided to polish the valve covers. They aren't totally done yet, but here's an idea of what they will look like:

D0E44F9B-D9E4-4856-8266-D8D76F8C7047_zps

6885B8D7-323E-416D-B0FC-9C87BAE4F941_zps

And.. during the process... we had a little accident with the grinder....

A58B6952-C4B3-42AB-ACBC-F41F30DADF1B_zps

• Gold FFM

That's way past a little accident Mark!

I've always thought it odd that we look at all these bits for engines and go Ooh and Aah and then we hide 'em away inside the engine.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Yeah.. it was a bit of a whoopsy. He was using my dremel with the snake attachment to get the finer details while I was using the grinder. The dremel was about to fall off the bench and he reached to grab it as I was making a pass with the grinder.. Ouch! Anyhow.. as for the shiny bits.. The valve cover is plenty visible. Though.. I suppose if you are referring to the car with the engine bay closed.. it's not.

• Like 1

Well.. some more waiting.. so that means more polishing... I thought I had polished to a nice shine before.. but no... here's the before and after:

826B487B-ED8E-4015-9092-69A3C6175990_zps

CA9CE7C3-AD96-4EC1-90B2-E9A5D9EF5A8C_zps

Its still not really done.. I haven't got all the paint off yet... but it's getting there.

Man.. I need to get some real parts back.. this polishing is getting obsessive.

7B3AAFFD-6BED-48BF-98E1-D0AF111A700C_zps

5D6A49E3-746F-4D1C-8E94-DE5C50CF5FC1_zps

hehe.. no more blood. And... likely only about 5-10 more hours of polishing and sanding to go :)

• Gold FFM

I actually meant all the shiny pistons and conrods etc from Acme Go-Faster Parts etc that we all drool over and then they get hidden away inside the block.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Ahhhh.. Now I gotcha. yeah.. that is disappointing.. but, I guess that's why we have threads like this, so that we can show people after.. here's how pretty the stuff was that goes inside.. lol

• Gold FFM

Why can't someone make a block out of see through metal or perspex or something? :getmecoat:

Actually.. there was a discovery in the 1990's that was in popular science called "air steel".. I can't find it on google.. but I do remember it. It was the strength of steel, and it looked like smokey air. It was as light as air and it was as strong as steel. I am surprised it never went anywhere, but it seemed like it was going to be the ultimate material for engines... too bad it never went anywhere...

What the tool for on the front plate mark chain tensioning ?

Yup.. I had it made by a friend.

Works like a charm.

Here's the latest progress pics..

The Carillo rods do not come with a torque spec, but they do come with a stretch spec. So, in order to determine the torque necessary on the bolts, I had to measure each bolt's stretch on each rod.. here's a pic of that process:

4AF986CD-4C6A-42DD-B939-F218D569EC8B_zps

Once that was done, I went to Home Depot and bought a hole saw that matched the outside diameter of the liners, so that they could sit in a wooden jig to fit my rings and pre-fit the pistons in. Why do it this way? Well.. I still need to seal my liners into the block and the head should be put on fairly quickly after the liners are set in. So, to reduce time pressure, if I install the pistons into the liners first, then put the liners in the block, I don't have to worry about the time it would take to get the pistons in. So.. here's the setup:

96B7909C-02B1-42FC-A1B5-317B79BA0555_zps

And.. here's the pistons in the liners -- I have Ziploc bags over them to keep the dust out:

8256B8E0-C36C-47B6-A251-9EDD23107E49_zps

And finally... I did some more polishing.. one of my valve covers is now completely polished.

1EB55A88-A32C-491E-97E3-103D427D26A9_zps

• 3 weeks later...

Well.. I finally got my heads back from the machine shop. I still need the bearings to be finished, but, so far, I am actually making some progress. However, I am going to check all my bores to ensure they are absolutely perfect before I put the heads on.

I also made a decision... I decided that the red engine just wasn't going to work for the polished look... so.. I went black:

A2DD419C-3C9D-4410-B777-DDF45359578D_zps

And.. this means that I have to polish all the intercooler piping as well...

94720680-A48D-4596-9D49-539C98E94347_zps

Well... today was productive.. We managed to get the liners installed and the heads on today. So, basically, all I am missing at the moment is one o-ring for the water pump (got the wrong o-ring twice) and the rod bearings.

Here's some more of the update:

Basically, we had to clean the liners for about 10 minutes each with clean paper towels and brake cleaner. This was an enormous pain in the ass. Also, we had to do the same to each liner bore. The nice thing is that the pistons were already in the liners. The Pistons also had to be oriented the correct way. The pistons have a high thrust and a low thrust side to them and if it was to be done wrong... it would be catastrophic.

Here are some pics:

Liner sealant done. Little bit of excess so I know it's sealed.

C287032C-9035-4369-BBD8-C28BC987BB95_zps

Here's the liners installed:

97C16D82-EDB4-4CC0-9F5F-92D05DCA9A27_zps

And here's the head gasket on..

828AFEDC-1D84-4C3F-831F-81B6BBA86B40_zps

And.. finally, I wrapped it all up as I wait for the bearings.

65C1B645-F12E-4ADB-BD92-67CC10AE8143_zps

• Like 1

Thanks Steve!

Well folks. I've come to a bit of an issue.. the oil squirters are not lining up with the new piston design. The project will be on hold for a little while as I design a new oil squirting system. :(