Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora - first impression - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora - first impression

Aussie kid

Hi all

Well with just on 2500 kilometres on the clock - 1400 miles or so - I thought I would share some thoughts on the Evora.

Firstly it replaced a Mini Cooper S JCW that had been chipped, upgraded CAI etc etc. so no comparison even offered there!!

But as a new car I am really impressed with the overall handling and comfort.

Having a GT40 and being more than comfortable with an engine behind me I was quite surprised just how quite it is. Little of no noise. This will be shortly rectified as I have a cat by pass and Larini exhaust arriving the first week in January. I will fit this after the first service.

I find the seating extremely comfortable and the overall dash layout is good.

I would prefer to be able to change the digital readout on the left to kilometres so it matched the speedo. The Australian speedo is in kilometres so the digital is MPH. I checked it and it is out only 2.5 MPH or about 4 KPH.

The reverse gear selection needs to be double checked in at times, to activate the reverse camera.

The only other negatives if you can say this - is the small stone chips the side and rear plastic protective coating gets. As I do drive on sh!t Australian roads....

The passenger airbag cover does not sit flat or flush and looks as if it has gone off - as this is a new car it is a bit annoying.

The only thing that worries me - and they will be replaced at the first service at no charge!! - is the two A Pillar black plastic covers are broken 60mm -2 inches down - from the roof. They were both broken on delivery!! WTF..

All else is good so far....

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My A-Pillar covers were changed after a year old. So were many at Silverstone Lotus, the previous owner was telling me. Not unusual. Reverse can be sticky to get the camera on, does require a double crunch sometimes. Lotus will change your pillar covers and the rest is to enjoy.

I'd rather shitty Aussie roads than the salt riddled fog and sleet covered nonsense we are getting in the UK at the moment. Last time I was in Oz, Sydney to Bris Vegas was a nice drive, your very lucky, enjoy.

Yes the speedo is in 15 km/h intervals as well a real pain with 100km/h the camera limits here. The checks done on my SatNav has 105 at 100km/h. If the one is MPH the other is KM/H. Yes would love to change the digital on the left to KM/H. Will check with the service guys next month at first service!!

Jez_mond What is it with the A pillar plastic piece??? They are $103 each - left and right. Both on my car a broken and it is under 3000 kilometres - about 1800 mile - on the speedo. Not sure how long te replacement units will last?? I did see comments about having them made in carbon, so I will keep an eye out for them. Yes the Great Ocean Road early morning when our highway Patrol are still in bed is a delight.

Good idea Bibs,  I'm on about set 4 or something over the cars I have had.  Also seem to be on back order a lot when required.  About to get my last replacements under warranty in Jan then I'm on my own.

I believe that if you have a MPH speedo then the digital will always be KPH and vice versa.  Not possible to change even in the software.  I did ask with car one in early days and was told it is law in EU I think that you have to have the alternate available in case cross borders with different measurments on the signs.  i.e. GB to Europe mainland.  The rest of the world gets lumbered with having to please everybody all of the time .

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

Bibs Count me in for a set. Just let me know costings. Yes I think they would look the part. May even get the mirrors done as well.

Al I re checked the manual yesterday and scrolled/selected down to see if it can be changed to match. After re reading it cannot. Go figure why you need to run separate speeds. It seems ideal to run both in the same configuration. The main speedo is not very well calibrated or marked for accuracy. My KM/H is marked in 15 KM/H intervals - jumps from 60 to 75 then to 90 to 105 with each 30 KM/H marked numerically. I know I will get used to it but I find I am adding numbers up as the interval are not in 10KM/H - make sense?? Don't want to seem to be wingeing but there are a few strange things with this car. I will have some of what the designers were smoking..:lol: All that little bits aside it is a fun little car that attracts plenty of attention. Not to mention the fact that my wife enjoys it. Happy wife - happy life..:lol:...:lol: Cheers

Having a GT40 and being more than comfortable with an engine behind me 

Bernie,

I've never had the pleasure of driving a GT40, but have always wanted to (who hasn't?). Just curious--how would you compare the experience, other than the lower power of the Evora?

- Matt

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Bernie,

I've never had the pleasure of driving a GT40, but have always wanted to (who hasn't?). Just curious--how would you compare the experience, other than the lower power of the Evora?

- Matt

yeah me neither, Clarkson reckoned the steering was an issue?? could be talking *******s of course. I always loved the 60/70's styling in the Muira and GT40, to be honest if I was designing an Evora they would have been my takes on internal styling, with mods and nods to modernity of course. With the A-Pillar its just pot luck I am afraid, some do some don't break. It Bibs can source reasonably priced covers then that is perhaps the way forward.

Oh to be out on the Great Ocean Road, sometime soon. Lovely drive.

Moxie and Jez_mond

The Gt40 has a 302 with an Audi transaxle. It runs full throttle body injection.

My email is

kni-time@bigpond.net.au

Send me an email and I will send a few photos.

If you Google the following -

Gt40 Route 66 Kit Car magazine - you will see a 5 page USA magazine article. I travelled across the USA followed by a magazine team, helicopters etc. it is a good article on GT40's.

The comfort level is no where near the Lotus or the new GT that Clarkson drove and owns.

The drive is extremely direct and the interior comfort obviously not as good. The Lotus is 275hp, I think and the GT40 is 442hp. The GT40 is quite noisy inside as the engine front is right on the bulk head. Again the GT40 is over 46 year old technology.

Power steering and advance engine, tyre and suspension did not exist etc. etc.

It is however very interesting to watch uTube with the story on Megafactories and Lotus Evora builds. Reference is made to Cobras and GT40's in those stories....

Edited by Aussie kid

Yes as I said count me in. I will check what is involved? Perhaps buying LH and RH pieces them getting moulds made. May be expensive here in Australia as there are only limited Evoras here!! Cheers Bernie

PS..

If you send me an email I will forward photos of the GT40 and other cars here.According to my son the photos are all too big and need re sizing so I think just as easy to email individual photos and explanations. Cheers email address above.Place Lotus in subject my office deletes otherwise.. :lol:

Edited by Aussie kid

The passenger airbag cover does not sit flat or flush and looks as if it has gone off - as this is a new car it is a bit annoying.

Mine has lifted at the front as well. Apparently they can warp, and B&C have said they will replace it under warranty.

• Gold FFM

Surely a repeatedly breaking part like the pillar covers would warrant a redesign and retrofit?

Not just a replace under warranty and hope for the best?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just to add to the first impressions..:lol:

Well after my first service, I have had a new airbag top ordered for the passenger side dash as it was lifting, a new Blackbird as the screen is not showing on PHONE or NAV.

Additionally, there is a recall on a door latch or similar - so it's back to the dealer in the next week or so.

I took the big Cat off near the exhaust and replaced it with the Larini by pass pipe.

Added the Larini exhaust and it sounds good now. It is not over load, but no doubt once it gets a bit of carbon in it it will get slightly louder.

Enjoying a drive later..