Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Alfaise / Alfora 4c - Competitor? - Page 4 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Alfaise / Alfora 4c - Competitor?

I'd love to have seen an Elise in that review too, he mentioned it often enough... it would've been interesting to see how the Alfa compared against it. 

Somebody compared them already a month ago... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_HBDS6KwoI#t=1

I came across several 4c on the road already, as one of the biggest Alfa dealers in Belgium in on my road to work. I think the proportions of the car are not good. Especially the rear.

What I was amazed of the first time I saw it on the road was the width. It really is wide especially on the rear.

Edited by Exploded

Calypso Rose Rules the World!

By taking the roof and elegant back window off they have ruined it IMHO. The new lights are super-boring too. The "hunched hind quarters" look is predictable and contrived (like the 458 spyder and Evora, oops).

All in all it looks like an older design.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to have seen an Elise in that review too, he mentioned it often enough... it would've been interesting to see how the Alfa compared against it. 

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/alfa-romeo-4c-porsche-cayman-lotus-exige-2014-3-17

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

I would like to read the rest of the article. Any one copy and paste the text?

Buddsy

click on the arrows on the pictures

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• 5 weeks later...

905724C36020140420211203785.jpg

474304C36020140420211030816.jpg

353614C36020140420211328504.jpg

had a nice passenger ride this morning. Loved it.

Quick pros and cons :

+ look terrific, even better in real

+ engine seems quite punchy, not borring for a stock turbo engine, not the "diesel" feeling like for example an VX220 turbo.

+ noise is fantastic, like an american V8 at low rev, and funky on the top range

+ gearbox seems very reactive, quick, and give you a nice kick at upshift

+ interior seems good quality, good assembly even if bad plastics, very nice design, love the look of the carbon chassis inside

+ good handlgin, seemed like a Lotus elise/exige, but a bit less oversteer

- not so small

- front nose is too low (you have to be very careful)

- steering wheel design

- price?

Top Gear: 'How much you would use [the Exige] depends how committed you are to lap times and spanners'

It's not surprising that Lotus finds it difficult to change perceptions about the improved quality of its products when one of the leading motoring magazines makes unwarranted statements like that to the public! What factual basis does Top Gear journalist, Dan Read, have about the reliability of the Lotus Exige S V6 to tell the general public that the car will be unreliable?

The JD Power survey for 2013 places Alfa Romeo as second from bottom. Their Mito was second from bottom out of 116 cars! Dan doesn't tell his readers that they will need a spanner.

Personally, I'm finding Top Gear's journalistic standards to be increasingly unreliable; I'd suggest that they need a spanner but it looks like they are already employing one to write unsubstantiated drivel for cheap digs.

Edited by Bee
  • Like 1

Looks great in the pics, not a stubby as it appears in some shots. Got to love the way people still jump on the Lots Of Trouble bandwagon while totally forgetting Alfa's not so whiter than white reputation in the build dept. 

I like it though... can't see myself buying one over the 'new' ( ahem! ), Evora but you never know. Let's see how the first few running reports stack up! 

Having an affair with another marque... B-)

Maybe he was getting at the almost infinite adjustability of the car's set-up rather than the potential for something important to fall off? People do tend to fiddle with their Lotus.

I took it as meaning this too.

just saw the first one in the flesh, looks like a too big elise or a "hot washed" Evora......not bad but the proportions are a little bit strange, maybe too short for the width (?) 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Just reading Evo magazine's "The 9 Best Sports Cars of the Year" article one car of which is the Alfa 4C. One reporter says, "It costs £45K -that's £5K more than a Porsche Cayman, £8K more than a Lotus Elise S. Yikes." Their car had the sports suspension which, "on anything less than race-track smooth surfaces, the thing veers all over the place like it's got .... Lane Unkeeping Assist." It sounds like the race pack is one option to avoid.

They also complain about the "coarse, too obviously turbocharged" engine "and the elastic delay between asking for power and the motor obliging."

Not too complimentary, then.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Just reading Evo magazine's "The 9 Best Sports Cars of the Year" article one car of which is the Alfa 4C. One reporter says, "It costs £45K -that's £5K more than a Porsche Cayman, £8K more than a Lotus Elise S. Yikes." Their car had the sports suspension which, "on anything less than race-track smooth surfaces, the thing veers all over the place like it's got .... Lane Unkeeping Assist." It sounds like the race pack is one option to avoid.

They also complain about the "coarse, too obviously turbocharged" engine "and the elastic delay between asking for power and the motor obliging."

Not too complimentary, then.

I did, of course, mean Car Magazine, not Evo.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

It seems they were working on improving the setup... will see from the first review of the Spider. Have you noticed the new (black) air intake on the left side (front of the rear wheel)?

(ex) Elise S1 (VIN 357) LHD

That should be a challenge. Taking a transverse design and putting in a longitudinal engine!

Something for Hennessey

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower!