Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Road Tax and the Law - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Road Tax and the Law

• Gold FFM

Does anyone know if you can legally drive a car when you have applied for it online, but haven't recieved the actual disc yet? I remember there used to be a fine for not displaying a valid disc, but not sure if that still applies since it's all computerised and linked.

My car has been SORN since last October, and I'm gagging to take it out for a proper drive! I'm waiting for my insurance company to send me a certificate of insurance that they should have sent twice already :rolleyes:. If I apply for tax online it could take up to 5 days for the disc to arrive, too late for the start of my 2K road trip up to and around Scotland...

There's SFA about it on thier website, and just wondered if any of the late night readers knew anything before I call and ask them tomorrow.

Thanks.

Signature not working...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as far as i am aware, you still have to display a valid tax disc by law otherwise you get fined :rolleyes:

i take it you cannot get to the local post office easily, i have got my parents/sister to do it before now for me.

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

• Gold FFM

Sorry Alan. You do need to display a valid disk. Take certificate of motor Ins. to the Post Office and buy over counter. Had same problem last year. Unfortunately its not just good enough to have proof you have purchased it - it has to be displayed. Mine took nearly a week to arrive.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Dito that - my Elise one fell off (was secured with sticky tape, even if you have it in the car you can be done for not displaying it propperly (why I dont know, another silly law).

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

• Gold FFM

Think the only people really getting away without displaying one are bikers. By law again they should be on display but always kept mine locked under seat (know so many people who had theirs pinched)

Got pulled over twice last year and diddn't even come up in conversation.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• Gold FFM

Thanks guys, I thought that might be the case. Arse!

I can get to a post office easily enough, it's just the insurance company can't seem to get a certificate of insurance to me, and say it must have been lost in the post - a lame and cliched excuse. They don't accept policy schedules over the counter, are very strict about it too (quite rightly I suppose).

Signature not working...

don't know about UK..

but I have just found out the advantage of driving a Volvo S80

the Volvo S80's front windshield has this very dark tint from top of the window to about 1/3 of it.

I placed my car registration ticket at the upper right corner of the windshield, and most of it is covered by the tint.

turned out to be a good idea.

one time I parked my car on the street, and the meter ran out of time (like 30minutes)

when I returned I notice the police were about to leave.

everyone got a parking ticket except me....(I figure they are too lazy to call in a tow truck or something)

I think you would probaly get away with it if stopped by the law as they already know you are taxed by doing a number check,i think it would be a pretty harsh copper to do 'do' you ,because all they do is report you to the DVLA for not displaying as its not an offence the coppers 'do' you for its the DVLA .....how can the DVLA 'do' you for something which is actually their fault?? :rolleyes:

Nick S4s

Simplest things first.

The tax disc spoils the look of the car. I dont bother to display mine. :lol: Im even less worried about this now the whole thing is computerised. I think the police would be far more interested in the lack of front plate than a tax disc not displayed. Especially with the new foward facing cameras. :rolleyes: . Which is a real shame becuase the car looks so much better without a front plate.

Just my 2p.

Edited by CarlC

• Gold FFM

Had it confirmed like you all say, you still have to display a tax disc. The online tax system is for those to apply before the current tax disc expires. If you want tax quickly after being SORN'd and MOT'd like me, you have to go the post office route.

I dumbed down my insurance while the car was off the road, it was fire & theft only which saved me

Signature not working...

• Gold FFM

Take some Esprit pics in the Highlands if heading that way - Love that place.