Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Servicing at Barry Ely Sports Cars (East London) - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Servicing at Barry Ely Sports Cars (East London)

Anyone had any experience of servicing at Barry Ely?

Or can you recommend anyone else near Essex? There's a dealer in Romford but they probably wouldn't know where the engine is in an Esprit!

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried Lotus sport at the factory? Suprisingly their labour rate is better than some dealers.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Same as you - Brentwood :( Just updated my profile!

Have had bad experiences with the factory in the past and there's usually a long wait so am looking for alternatives...

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

Go to see Gerald Turner at GT Sportscars up near Newmarket - he's No.1 one chap for Esprit's in UK.

Chris - you had the decency to spray your car ice blue yet matey?

The only time ice blue should be used on an esprit is for an undercoat before being painted red!

Have you managed to save up enough cash to have "full leather" put in your car yet?

You at meet on sunday Baz?

I presume you mean Sinclaire's? My friend is having time delay problems with them - 2 or 3 week job and it is still there almost 3 months later :(

I hear there's a new place "Halliday Autos" opening up soon in the Enfield area! :(

Everyone I've known who has been to Barry Ely describes it as a Lotus Graveyard :o

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Full leather in an Esprit interior simply means a cold posterior and no trackion when cornering

Probably not - down to Dorset but will let you know if I can make it.

Glad to see you working hard.

Neal - We bought the wife's Elise from Barry Ely and its fine. He knows his stuff but check out (go see) where he works before leaving your pride and joy there..

Same as you - Brentwood :( Just updated my profile!

Have had bad experiences with the factory in the past and there's usually a long wait so am looking for alternatives...

SMALL WORLD!

I'm with baz on this one. Gerald Turner is the man to see. Use him a lot myself. I will send you PM shortly.

Quiet now please! Please don't shout out Gerald Turner's name too loudly! Don't want him to get too busy - I already have to wait long enough to get my car in!

Dont see why, everyone knows that red esprits get priority!

Gerald really knows his Lotus cars. He was Peter Day's apprentice at Daytune in Cambridge in the early 80's. Peter Day was absolutely fastidious over quality of workmanship and restoration of Lotus cars. He was big on originality and even refused to sell parts to owners of non Lotus cars! The workshop was sparkling clean. It would leave you if no doubt as to where to take your pride and joy. Gerald has carried forward the same approach and I would thoroughly recommend him.

Sinclair Motorsport have looked after mine. Would nt knock them as I have always experienced a great service in the past. Any problems reported and rectified without grief.

Will continue using them as they understand the car.

Always had good service from Nick Whale too.

I have to ask myself - 'do I feel lucky'?

Sinclair Motorsport have looked after mine. Would nt knock them as I have always experienced a great service in the past. Any problems reported and rectified without grief.

Will continue using them as they understand the car.

Always had good service from Nick Whale too.

True, but gerald gives you that personal "one to one" touch. Much better.

What about Morland Jones in London? They've had good press recently!

Morland Jones

226 & 227 Trussley Road

London W6 7PP

To speak with either Tony or Steve

tel: 020 8741 2303

fax: 020 8741 3116

Maybe, but we are talking ESSEX. Who wants to go to that far away place called London!

Talking to Barry the other day, he's thinking of possibly selling up the Leyton site & moving out into Essex where he'll buy a big place with a barn etc. & work from there until he retires. Bit of a bummer for those who drop cars at his & then walk to the central line but it'll stop you finding kebab wrappers & the like on your car as the locals dispose of their rubbish over his gates on the way back from the pub!

& Chris, I see you've discovered the interweb :)

87 HC Turbo to Elise & now turned to the darkside with an AM Vantage

As an alternative I take my S3 to Fulbridge Restoration in Heybridge (Maldon) Essex. It's convenient for me I will grant you as I life a stone throw away but the chap I deal with (Rick) has many years experience with Esprits and worked in the ICS racing team with their Esprits.

I know that they also look after an S2 and a GT3.

Might be worth a trip down and a chat with Rick or give him a ring (01621) 852320.

Barry Ely's looked after my Esprit for about 10 years now and my Sunbeam when I had that, and I'm happy going back. He's a real enthusiast and knows the cars very well. His premises are basically shocking and not really condusive to leaving your pride and joy. That aside, the work on mine has been done well and Barry's racing background means he knows a tweaks that he's been able to introduce when things need doing.

I used Sinclaires for a partial repsray and tart up on the Carlton. Wayne was really helpful and the guys in the shop did a fantastic job. Sinclaires really started as a body shop and I've not had any mechanical stuff done there, but I did chat to them about it when I saw a Sport 300 being sorted there and they seemed to be on top of the game. They do seem to concentrate on the Elise/Exige though - I guess that is where their biggest market is.

Gerald Turner sounds like a real find.......maybe I should also try him.......?

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

HAHAHAHAHA!

<PULL!>

clay-pigeon-shooting.jpg

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif