Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Uprated Charge Cooler from Alunox - Page 3 - Site Sponsors & FFM Discounts - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Uprated Charge Cooler from Alunox

Ok Mark, if you could ship to Norway would be excellent.

Had the car on roller last week and it peaked at 375 bhp. With OEM chargecooler. Guy did the mapping advised that inlet temp was somewhat high and perfomance would be even better with lower inlet temp.

Come on guys, sign up. Best upgrade for a long time and with the group buy also a sensible price..

Jan

Mark,

93 SE. Thinking about it at this point - car still in shop and not available to look at the cover's shape. Much larger Turbo now installed and runs quite well but still not completed so do not know how much money I have to pay to get it done and there's the rub for me at this point.

MikieP

A few recent posts in this thread have been removed from public view as they are potentially libellous and could contain defamatory content.

Ronin, if you wish to voice your opinion that's fine but you need to act within the legal framework that we do as publishers of this information. If you wish to question a product, you will need empiric, data driven proof that there's an issue and based purely on your experience isn't enough since you've not tried or tested the product in question. 

TLF has a long and proud history of allowing free speech but when we are the publishers of information that could be libellous or defame the line is crossed. This decision is in no way connected to the manufacturers advertising status, it would be the same for any company or individual whose products we allowed to be posted on the site.

libel
ˈlʌɪb(ə)l/
noun

LAW

a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation.

synonyms: defamation, defamation of character, character assassination,calumnymisrepresentation, scandalmongering;
aspersions, denigration, vilification, disparagement, derogationinsult,slander, malicious gossip, tittle-tattle, traducement; 
lieslursmear,untruth, false insinuation

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I said nothing false. Modern efficient design is based on the mistakes of the past...with the proper improvements implemented.

There is nothing libelous in pointing out design differences... 

I think it's fast enough…maybe

You weren't just pointing out design difference though. TLF is the publisher of your posts and as the publisher we weren't comfortable with their content, hence them being hidden from public view. 

If you'd like to discuss chargecooler design without reference to a specific product, start a new topic in the appropriate section mate, I'm sure it would be very informative as 'some' of the content of the prior posts in this topic were. :)

Mostly because it would likely be an informative topic with interesting discussion.

Why not?

I've seen a discussion following an individual's project to design and build their own charge cooler and it was actually a decent read.

Chunky Lover

The design used by Lotus on the SE-S4s, and apparently same as this Alunox charge cooler are a 2-2 Countercurrent style heat exchanger, which is actually more efficient than a single pass "parallel flow" style heat exchanger.  But it's pretty obvious that Lotus and Alunox also chose the 2-2 countercurrent style heat exchange because the packaging works really well in the Esprit engine bay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_exchanger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countercurrent_exchange

This is the 2-2 countercurrent type, same as Lotus and Alunox.

Heat_exc_2-2.png

The single pass "parallel-flow" style is "A"

And the 2-2 countercurrent is "B"

Delta_T_1.png

"The counter current design is the most efficient, in that it can transfer the most heat from the heat (transfer) medium due to the fact that the average temperature difference along any unit length is greater."

For comparison the single pass "parallel-flow" type looks like this.

388px-Heat_exc_1-1.svg.png

and the 2-pass "crossflow" looks like this (which really wouldn't work with the air-water and packaging in the Esprit very well).

Heat_exc_2-1.png

I'd love to see someone post some freescan data with their new larger intercoolers!

Here's my car on a warm day ~82F (27C) outside air temp.  This is Freescan MAP in (Bar) and Intake air temp after the Chargecooler in (deg C).  The freescan MAP pressure is not straight boost, 2.23 bar in freescan is about 1.1 bar of boost at sea level, but at my altitude of 5300ft that should be about 1.4bar (20psi) of boost, with the extra heating due to the turbo working harder.

MAT%2520with%2520boost.JPG

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

These guys make some pretty strong claims rubbishing all conventional type charge coolers.

www.chargecooler.co.uk

Thoughts?

Those are the worst charge coolers on the market... Boat exhaust heat exchangers..  :smoke:

Oh wait am I being libelous ?

Boat exhaust heat exchangers. I've never owned a boat not seen them before. Like I said their claims are pretty strong and I've always been dubious before when I've seen them. Hasn't MarkTC used them on a V8 in Canada?

Those cheapies on ebay look.... Umm.... Interesting too.

How would one go about sourcing a correct water/air heat exchanger core?

Is it even worth knocking one up yourself?

Chunky Lover

Here are a few sources...

http://www.bellintercoolers.com/_pages/coreLiquidCore.html

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/node/83

http://deedsperformance.com/deedsv2/home.php

I buy my cores from Deeds, they are good for 100psi..  :smoke:

That's a lot of PSI's

I'm unlikely to breach the 1bar mark as although I'm running a S4 engine with the stronger Zeus block and head, I'm still held back with the citroen box with the inboard brakes.

Chances of affording a gearbox swap in the next 10 years is highly unlikely!

Chunky Lover

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Kenny,

Let's just recap on the existing offer.... we said

The price is now £550 + VAT for a GB of 10 or more.

After speaking again with Alunox if we can reach 20 then the price will come down to £450 + VAT.

At the moment we stand as follows:

1) Kenny West

2) Ian Armstrong

3) Jan Pettersen

I know this would require a lot of interest, but it's an amazing price. Its a great piece of kit ,I will try and get some more data in the coming months to help promote it.

Mark

post-13397-0-30938000-1422446199.jpg

<SIGH> Come on guys! Surely there are 7 people in the world with a Lotus Esprit that is chargecooled or want to add, that want, nee NEED, one of these!

Mark, how much are they if I bought one today, i.e. pre 10 or 20 in group buy?

• Like 1

I've posted this up on our facebook page too :)

69ca43b5386146767219e561d80b8086

" data-width="466">