Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
spilled coolant both front and rear. - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

spilled coolant both front and rear.

Jacques

Hello everyone,

I am totally new to Lotus, but have been looking for a Stevens Turbo 88/89 or an early SE for a while.

I have found one which have been imported many years ago, and not really been used for the last 4 year or so. It have been started and could drve to a workshop (they don't do Lotus).

I have seen it but not having it started, as I mentioned a fair amount of coolant underneath the car, both front and rear.

Front seems around between the front wheels (lhd. btw.) and rear just somewhere under the engine/boot area. Could not see anything yet. I may be given a take it or leave it offer, and I insisted that it should be started and driven (after checking coolant and oil), before saying anything.

So, back to my question: what to check when going looking again, and running the engine?

( I've read all old threads but just made me a bit more confused).

I hope some of you will jump in on this and give me a few hints.

Kind regards,

Redfox.

ps: yeah, I know, a LOT of work will have to be done on this one, but looking at polished ones for sale, they are more expensive, and seems to be needing the same amount of work, apart from paint polishing ;) Funnyli enough, all dealers say: take as is, we know it's made of gold, but will not service it. So I will have to do that myself ;) Looking forward to that.

Another question: can a carburettor Stevens Turbo produced very late 1988 sold very early 1989 run on normal 99 octane unleaded? Or should it have some Castrol valvemaster as well?

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another question: can a carburettor Stevens Turbo produced very late 1988 sold very early 1989 run on normal 99 octane unleaded? Or should it have some Castrol valvemaster as well?

The engine will run fine on unleaded, no need for any additives.  :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

Once you get under it with the engine running it should be pretty obvious where the coolant leaks are.

Checkout the Esprit buying guides here:thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

If they have topped up the cooling system and bled the radiator, you could well find coolant front and rear! Testing the radiator fans is a good idea...find the Otter switch and connect the leads to it together and the fans should start...ideally, all of them! Once you go to start it, do so with the cap off the header tank and check to see what happens to the coolant level, and the circulation of the coolant into the top of the header tank. Then put the cap back on and allow it to warm up until the fans run...keep an eye on the temperature, if it's going much above 100C....110C... then think about shutting it down. If you have a leak from between the front wheels, centre of the car, then the radiator is a likely culprit. You will have to have a very good look around whilst the engine is running and prod about as much as you can...try to learn everything possible. In the end, no matter how hard you try, it will be a step into the dark, if you buy it!! 

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

HI John,

Thanks for the great answer. I'll do everything you've described. And will look for rotten coolant pipes as well.

Thanks a lot.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Good luck! Exciting time.

Makes me think - what are the obvious signs that an Esprit has been looked after, or not for that matter.

Not sure about the turbos but on an N/A car, if the fuel lines look shabby, with the outer plastic degrading, I would say less obvious things may also have been neglected. 

Nice new StSt pipe clips all around would be a good sign, as would a lack of debris in the radiator scoop.

Others?

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

On my 88 most of the pipe clips were almost useless they were so badly coroded.  The pipes on the other hand were on the whole still serviceable although they got replaced anyway.

What about the length of coolant pipes under the car, over the undertray, inside the chassis?

And secondly, what can a slight loss in turbo pressure come from (anything else than the turbo)?

Kind regards,

Jacques.