Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Replacing front suspension bushes, advice please - Page 3 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Replacing front suspension bushes, advice please

Just finished doing the entire front end on my 93 S4. Was undersealed at some time in the past. I scrapped the underseal off completely and did an acid bath dip on all the parts. Used sprits of salts as it eats the rust in minutes, Pressed out all the bushes on a pals press in his workshop ARB bush was about .5mm to long for the circlip to relocate in its grove, just filed that off no problem. With the poly bushes I found that the top wishbone arms wouldn't keep their shape so I cut them in half like top hats and then pressed the insert through the two halves. Im hoping this will be ok but will keep my eye on them.

With the stripped metal I used smooth hammerite. The finish is nice but only time will tell about durability of them. Good thing is I can touch up if required.

I also changed the top swivels and wheel bearings. Lastly I replaced all the bolts, nuts and washers with Marine grade Stainless steel. I have considered the tensile strength and decided that the 5/16 unf bolts are big enough not to be of concern and the 8mm through the top swivel will be very closely monitored.

In all im happy with the out come but as said earlier only time will tell.

post-16074-0-73290400-1388425303.jpg

post-16074-0-72305500-1388425328.jpg

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

. Lastly I replaced all the bolts, nuts and washers with Marine grade Stainless steel. I have considered the tensile strength and decided that the 5/16 unf bolts are big enough not to be of concern and the 8mm through the top swivel will be very closely monitored.

In all im happy with the out come but as said earlier only time will tell.

Having seen stainless bolts shear...... If you ever sell the car, I hope you tell the new owner that you've used stainless.

Edited by Zolder
  • Like 1

Hey Zolder,

totally switched on to what your saying, which bolts had you seen shear? The 8mm?

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey John,

you know I have completely forgotten, I have looked on the invoice from SJSports cars and it does not state. I will have to get under the car. They are adjustable springs and dampers, but the name........................................................gone.

• Gold FFM

Alan you re not the guy with the blue v8 in Swindon are you with the oz wheels on it ?????? I've seven one parked up and hasn't moved in ages I want the wheels from it lol

Blue Esprit yes, V8 no, Swindon yes, OZ wheels - which ones are they? I've fitted the wheels from an S4 on mine. You wouldn't have seen mine unless you've been peeking through my garage window the last few months :D

Signature not working...

Ah no I won't say exactly where it is but if I said Royal Mail depot I'm sure you d guess what area it's defo a v8 with a glass roof purple or blue but it has the oz wheels I want I think it's been left , I May ask if they want to sell it for another project ,

Alan I didn't run into you at bells did I getting a new set of tyres on the front of yours ? That was a blue s4 lol so many lotus 's

• Gold FFM

I'll put some feelers out to find out about it, it's not in my car park, I'd have noticed it!

I've not put tyres on mine for 7 years (it's been off the road almost as long) so it wouldn't have been me. I usually go to Imperial Tyres so I can get the geo checked at the same time.

Signature not working...

• 2 weeks later...

You are right Andy Clements, Protech.

• 3 months later...
  • Gold FFM

Guys, got a hopefully not so stupid question for you.

I want to protect my wishbones from the elements using this stuff :

dinitrol_01.jpg

front_suspension_01.jpg

..just wondering the best way to do it - painting the wishbones before fitting the bushes, after, or once it's all fitted to the car? I think it would be better and easier to do it before fitting the bushes, and therefore should I mask off the areas where the bushes are fitted?

Signature not working...

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

Resurrecting this thread. 
I'm replacing all my bushings in the front suspension. Is there a trick for the ARB to lower wishbone bushing? Seem tricky to press it out since I guess it sits over a "ridge" in the wishbone.
Using a too large tool, it will press against this ridge, too small and I will press it into the hole for the ARB. Also have some problems with the bushings that have a small "lip" at each end.
Using a perfectly sized tool and the "lip" will curl up and follow the bushing in thus pinching the tool and on the other side the "lip" will rest on the edge of that tool and get pinched there.
Maybe they should be cut off with a knife first?

Work has not halted but I feel this could go smoother and faster so all tips and hints are welcome! Same when it comes to fitting the new ones.

========================================
Torque times RPM equals horsepower!

Rubber or poly bushings going in? If poly then a special tool is advisable. When I pressed the rubber ones in I found that lots of lube ad lots of force were enough but make sure to insert the narrower side (relative to the groove) , or to try and describe it another way- with the link the appropriate way up on the press bed, put the bush so that its groove is higher (the groove is not central). let the bush deform and form an arrowhead shape, it will narrow and pop into place. 

Removal- big sharp knife, perhaps cut away half of one side and press, but I just cut them off.

• Gold FFM

Arb bushes are a total pain in the ass - mine was a 1990 esprit

i borrowed a tool - and still knackered one up. I have the uk tool on my desk here.

To get mine out - I just set fire to them and let them burn !

Only here once

4 hours ago, Corban said:

Using a too large tool, it will press against this ridge, too small and I will press it into the hole for the ARB. Also have some problems with the bushings that have a small "lip" at each end.
Using a perfectly sized tool and the "lip" will curl up and follow the bushing in thus pinching the tool and on the other side the "lip" will rest on the edge of that tool and get pinched there.
Maybe they should be cut off with a knife first?

Yes, pressing the old bushings out would be a problem for the reason's you noted.  In my case I pried/cut them apart using a flat head screw driver, without damaging the lower suspension arms. 

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Upper wishbones were not much trouble, used a 19mm socket at one end and a large socket at the other, once they gave, it was an easy push.

The small one in the lower wishbone is out and the larger halfway, need to find something deeper of the right size to push it into.

Setting fire to the ARB one might be worth testing if cutting it doesn't cut it. If a press an old knife through it, maybe I can make a slice that can be pried out much like Travis suggests.

That is brilliant! I can see the problems pressing that bushing into place over the ridge without such a device.

Think I'll take you up on that offer, I'll send you a pm Barry.

While it's doing it's Swedish tour, could I perhaps borrow it? I have two shiny new wishbones that need bushes fitted! Just lemme know how much time I have on me to order them from SJ/Paul Matty etc

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

OK, old ARB bushing is out and it was not that hard. Inspired by Travis poking around with a screw driver, I stuck a medium sized screw driver between the bushing and the wishbone, turned it 90 degrees
and tried to compress the bushing sideways in order to reach the ridge and rest the blade of the screw driver against it. This would work as a wedge and when pressed part of the "lip" would slide on the screw driver.
Decided to use a long 19mm socket to press with in order to give the rubber as much space as possible to distort and compress. From there it was a walk in the park. Came right out!

• Gold FFM

Just remember how easy that bit was :rofl:

the next bits not so easy.......

parcel is now awaiting collection - baton handed over - I'm officially not the man with the tool now!

Only here once