Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
TLF at NEC classic car show.....2013 - Events - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

TLF at NEC classic car show.....2013

CHANGES

Whole sentences too much?

We're protesting this year. It would have been our sixth year on the trot at this show and we're being put in worse and worse spots, this year culminating in the area right next to the Sporting Bears Charity Drive area. This would have meant that, in early November, we'd be next to the open floor to ceiling doors (6m high!) and 3 days of classic cars entering, ticking over, and driving away from right next to the stand. It would have been very cold, and very smelly and we're not prepared to spend the better part of a grand of TLF cash coming to the show to not enjoy it at all in those conditions. 

Next year we've been promised (in truth, as we have in the past) space in the main, carpeted (which we have to fund) hall. We are the largest Lotus club that attends by a factor of at least ten and really need to be treated better by the organisation that runs the event, or this happens.

We'll be back in 2014. 

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

So is it Lancaster Insurance or the NEC organisers that decide this?

Either way, its short sighted.

What a shame.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

shame it's not gonna happen but totally understand the reasons.

it does mean I won't have to spend the night with ben though :)

Lancaster Insurance just sponsor the event, the thing is organised by Clarion Events (who make millions from the weekend by my ready reckoning - 90,000 @ £25/ticket (£2.25m) plus trade stand fees plus split of equipment/electric/catering etc). 

There's been some internal goings-on this year with some of the team leaving and trying to relocate the entire event to Manchester which we've stayed out of to be honest. I'm just not going to be shoved into worse and worse spots when we're one of the biggest (although worst funded*!) clubs that attend. 

*most other clubs that have bigger, better stands spend several thousand attending but have compulsory, paid membership. We have more members than a large %age of them, but that's what comes of the internet and being free.

This is what the site says

"Car clubs are the lifeblood of the classic scar scene and play crucial role in ensuring the promotion of historic and classic car movement.

At the Classic Motor Show we value the important work car clubs do and are happy to accommodate as many clubs as we can, last time we checked it was 250 clubs  and rising!"

Agree with the first!

As said previously, full paid membership of TLF is pitifully low, yet cheap and fantastic value for money. I just can't understand that.

Solidarity Reg!

Remember we were runner up in 'Club of the Year' last year so they know we're a good club, in fact the 2nd best out of the 250 that attend. They just need to translate that into a better experience at the event for us. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning on visiting on the Friday. Never been before so do any regular visitors know if we can get TLF discount on price  and whether it is necessary to book in advance or pay on door ( website suggests that there is not much of a saving paying in advance)

Thanks

I total agree with you Bibs

You put on a bloody great show last year, it was a stunning stand, well manned with really enthusiastic knowledgeable people.

A hell of alot of people are going to miss you this year :(

Its made me angry where they wanted to put you.

Our only consolation .....Next year its going to be legend---ary :thumbsup:

Matt

The more the merrier :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

With any luck and barring a catastrophe I will be displaying my Eclat S2 on the Lotus Excel.net stand at the NEC. Never done this before so will be an adventure.

If anyone wants to say hello I'll be there Friday and Sunday. And yes it's in the big nasty smelly freezing Hall 3...bring warm socks and Kendal mint cake.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Mark,  we must catch up my car is on the LDC stand in hall 9.

Clarion events are notoriously difficult to deal with and expensive, a similar thing to the split happened with the Caravan shows I do for work.  Visitor numbers were falling and a breakaway event at Excel in London was organised which did not do well.  Then someone realised that the reason for numbers falling was ticket prices at nearly £30 each and car park charges of a tenner. The National Caravan Council took over the events and dropped prices to £10 and free parking, they also reduced the exibitor costs significantly, a 9m x 3m stand was costing us over 10k just for the floor space.  visitor numbers tripled, and it is now over subscribed for exhibitors simples. 

Not long got back from the show...an excellent time and as always some wonderfull motors and interesting peeps to talk to. Its a shame we wernt there to hold up the lotus massive...however in retrospect the hall with the dream rides in wasnt a bad place to be. I think this year they had better organised it and kept the stands away from the doors as I could see. I think Bibs decision was right based on what is normally the case..I remember last year it certainly was cold n fumey around there..hopefully next year we can make a come back and get TLF out there to the masses...

Agreed fantastic visit and nice to talk to owners on Lotus Club etc stands. I was told that everybody gets moved around the halls so some years it is your turn to get a less desirable location and that is the fairest way to organise things. However must admit hall was cold but everybody seemed to enjoy the dream rides section and it was busy.

As a member of the Sporting Bears we were happy to set a new record in donations to the children's charities that we support. Initial estimates yesterday were at least £38K raised. In Lotus terms we had an Else Europa, an Elise SC and an S1 plus my Excel which all completed several runs. Be good to have an Esprit at a future event.

Edited by amoss

Just joining the Bears as a result of watching the event yesterday.

Great part of the show and superb amount raised.

I understand the reason for not attending from TLF point of view but it did strike me that this was the busiest part of all the halls - not a bad spot from that perspective.....

Got back very late Sunday night, it was an experience I wanted to try and enjoyed it (don't think the missus did though). We didn't stay there all the time, I don't think that would have been comfortable, and took most of the Saturday off.

Spent a lot of time chatting to some very enthusiastic people who took a great interest in the Eclat and old 4 seaters. I think the tide may be turning for these cars - some said they had wanted them since they were kids, others said they were turning to them as they could no longer afford Elan +2s. Adrian's Lotus Drivers Club stand was excellent, a nice variety of old and new cars, and all mint

Yes the Bears' hall was noisy and noticeably colder than elsewhere, but more of a problem were the fumes. With my Health and Safety Officer head on this activity should definitely have it's own hall with some kind of division. I can see no reason why the very few small display stands that shared the Bears' hall could not be relocated as you could definitely see "slack" spots elsewhere. IMHO the "open" approach and the display stands that exist there are just a lead-in to ensure that the footfall stays relatively constant throughout, which isn't putting people's well being first

I would do it again though, but may be on my own next time!

• Like 1

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

It has been good to have a year off from the stress, expense and increasing politics of the show. We'll be applying for a stand next year and we'll be raring to go if both us and the organisers are happy.

Our first year at the NEC saw us in a difficult position and close enough to the sporting bears to be cold and full of fumes and it wasn't fun. TLF fully supports the sporting bears and what they do but unfortuantly when it comes to taking time off our paid jobs, spending a fair amount of money to have a stand and ask several members to do the same we want it to be enjoyable and to show off the club in the best possible light that we think it deserves.

I'm glad everyone who visited the show this year enjoyed it and glad to hear some of the other Lotus regulars made a good turn out.

Looking forward to next year with renewed enthusiasm for having a years rest.