Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Iain's 2013 S2 Exterior restoration - full repainting. - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Iain's 2013 S2 Exterior restoration - full repainting.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Very Nice picture!!!!!!! so nice that i use the picture for my facebook page,

Thank you, (only my S2 is grey LOL.. hahah)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Iain,

Would you be able to tell me what this boot board is used for ?  And if its the same one as mine (mine looks slightly different and I don't have a matching carpet for it)

Could this be used to cover the rear boot spring mechanism area?  If so, it looks like one side is missing on mine :/

post-1858-0-47794400-1385359231_zps31f23

WP_20140119_001_zpsb758cd88.jpg

Vin Taylor

Hi Vin, that board (circled) lays at the rear of the boot with the cutout for the battery. I covered it separately with carpet. Having seen a couple of other boot pics since, mine is not as per original would say. One pic has no board and just carpet there loosely, looks right.

• Gold FFM

Late catching up on this one - Great job Iain. Looks stunning. :)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Thanks Mate, well worth the effort - I learned so so much in the process :)

My son took this pic, nice!

This pic has been immortalised in the rotating pics banner on Steve Taylor's Lotus Marques website - well chuffed!

http://lotusmarques.com (you have to refresh a few times to see my car pic ha ha)

Hi Iain,

I didn't find a matching carpet for this anyways.  I'll probably have the boot board re-done and then when it comes to putting back together, I'll try and figure out where this boot board should fit and if I am missing anything

Vin Taylor

• 1 month later...

Ok, I have to finish this project and get the car registered! It should be driven around for people to stare at, not hidden in my workshop :(

Came real close before Xmas but it got so damn hot it became really unenjoyable - came close to selling it. Now it is cooling down and I am sneaking looks at the car under its cover. I don't know about anyone else, but this last 5% is taking 95% of the effort.

Come on, I can do this!!

Iain

why not upload a list of the target objectives and start ticking them off with photo evidence on this thread ? :)

We're all routing for you to get this esprit up and running  :animier:  :animier:  :animier:  :animier:  :animier:

• Like 1

Vin Taylor

Speedo cable can be sourced from Sj

SPEEDO CABLE Series 2
image.png

A079N6030F EACH 35.60
SPEEDO CABLE
Very late S2 only with one piece cable.
image.png

A079N6034F EACH 48.88

Are door interiors referring to the door cards?

Here's the short speedo cable :)

SPEEDO CABLE, SHORT
image.png

B079N6020F EACH 29.99

Vin Taylor

It's the short cable that plugs into the gearbox, and SJs has been out of them for over 4 months - back order, back order is all I get. Going to try and have it repaired locally.

The door interiors is just seeing if I can dye the material a little darker back from faded green to brown. Then pop them back on.

• Gold FFM

Door card's, a friend of mine used a spray on shoe polish to get a better colour and they look first class.

If you're talking about the alcantara the use shoe dye but make sure it's for SUEDE, then you keep the softness of the material. Someone I know used leather shoe dye and it's all gone hard.

Here mine redyed:

ba1.jpg

• Like 1

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Ok, workshop tidied up and ready to go!

Officially, my project was an 'exterior paint job', but I'll see it through to Registered on the road :)

Door covers before-shot. Some issues are the speakers fitted, faded covering and some torn/missing material. Some screw holes around the speakers too.

I am keen to give it a 'recovery' and if it looks rubbish, I'll buy some material. I'll give the dye a go - I recall years ago doing this to one of the doors (which explains why one is slightly less faded). Thoughts very welcome :)

post-1858-0-30610800-1393649501.jpg

post-1858-0-09659600-1393649550.jpg

Thanks for the leads, I ordered the 500mm of dye ($32), taped up the leather and dabbed away with hopefully an even coverage.

Gloves essential and ventilation as it was spirit's-based.

It took about 4 hours to dry and I went over it with a dry cloth to brush the material. The slight wear points have been almost concealed, so it's looking like a hopeful easy tidy up.

:) Pics:

Now for the rest of the dash.

post-1858-0-62191800-1394248156.jpg

post-1858-0-98350400-1394248211.jpg

post-1858-0-98302000-1394248260.jpg

post-1858-0-54157200-1394248331.jpg

post-1858-0-62478600-1394248393.jpg

post-1858-0-79463400-1394248451.jpg

Lookin great!

• Like 1

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Ok, completely disastrous result in the car - it looks like there was a fire and everything is smokey black, sigh sigh sigh

I actually miss the line green.

Now for plan B, whatever that is.

.... Days like these :(

Hi Iain

I am sure it is not that bad, you may have gone slightly too dark but in your climate I am sure it will lighten. Have you tried a suede brush to agitate the material as suede often looks better when brushed?

Dave :)

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Thanks Dave, yeah the doors look great and I have a brush - I think it could be the contrast change, not sure. I'll give it some time to get used to and have another look. I'll post some pics next weekend, people can say 'eeek' if they see what I still see then ha ha.

Iain.