Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
G car for big money - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

G car for big money

Mark Blanchard

You've got to be a bit mad to pay that sort of money for a G car. I don't care what 'special edition' or other paint job it's got (remember, they're only tarted up standard cars in an effort by the factory to shift more units) it's just an Esprit. Unless it's got a sack of diamonds crammed into the boot I can't see how they're worth the money.

A car that's been parked for 12 years is only worth a couple of grand extra than a more normal example and only then it's a novelty value and not a real one.

25 grand? Bwahahaha! Good luck Barry!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive my ignorance but being a mere nomally aspirated Esprit owner, what is 'limited' about that car other than the paint job and the number of people willing to pay

Edited by peteyg

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

As far as I know, limited editions are really just normal Esprits with a different colour, different interior trim and a special plaque.... oh, and maybe some nice stickers.... as I said, may be interesting, but not for

Rob S

The 1986/87 limited edition "cellebration" cars were produced by Lotus to publicise the fact that they had been building cars in Norfolk for 21 years.

The original MSRP was 31,000 pounds.

A car is only original once in its life, and no: 15 and 20 seemed to illustrate the exact way Lotus built and finished these desirable cars, so in my opinion they are worth more than a higher milage restored car like mine.

If you are fussy and want the best you have to pay. :D

I have spent almost as much money on my car! :blink:

I remember seeing no:20 when it was part of the Patrick Collection in about 1988 and it looked stunning!

I dont think the money being asked for it is totally out of order, high yes, but wasnt the Bond Turbo Esprit going for 250 large? :P

41_19.JPG

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

Rob, Why not import one from the USA? :blink:

There is usually at least one on ebay at any given time. :D

Of course now I go to try and find one their to illustrate my point, I cant find one ! :P

Not a bad idea, but

- it's a bit far for me to travel to look at the cars

- I guess it would be expensive to literally ship it over here

Plan for the UK would be to spend some time searching around, make a short list, then take a long weekend in the UK and view all possibilities. If a buy a UK car, I could at least drive it back here. Of course, drawback would be the steering wheel on the right(wrong) side!

Rob S

If you are fussy and want the best you have to pay. :)

I have spent almost as much money on my car! :(

They are very attractive but I'd rather have YOUR car than that one any day of the week.

Why on god's good earth would I pay

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

I've just been up north to look at the Essex that started the thread. It is No.12 and the bloke also has No.11 which is also for sale - you are right Wayne.

It's been resprayed but that's about it - no MOT, its not been restored and has not been taxed or been on the road since 1999.

I took it for a test drive and almost crapped myself when I tried to brake - there are no brakes and the wiff of petrol made me think that we were about to have an engine fire at any moment.

The paint job is OK but not good and the rear end has had a prang as its got the wrong replacement bumper on the back.

I was told he would take a realistic offer for the car. I made one and it soon became apparent that he had no intention of taking a realistic offer for the car.

All in all a complete waste of time. The garage should be ashamed of itself for describing a car as restored when it isn't.

Bazza

The paint job is OK but not good and the rear end has had a prang as its got the wrong replacement bumper on the back.

Bazza

Bazza - Interesting? What makes you think it had the wrong bumper?

Did it have LOTUS embossed on the back? Some Essex's did though all the publicity shots didn't.

My mates got number 17 which has.

Another unusual anomally is some have got 'Essex' embossed cam-covers. But not all.

Typical Lotus - no standard Essex's - they are more limited than you think.

All the Magazines/books always say there was 100 as the final car that was owned by Mark Thatcher (Yes Maggies son!) was numbered that. In reality theres 27 confirmed Essex liveried cars (my mates got a full list of chassis numbers) then a few non Essex Blue-painted cars that still had the Essex extras including the stickers?!!! See this site for photos to prove - scroll down to the bottom for the white car:

White Essex!

We saw that car about 8 years ago at Donnington.......

Edited by nello

Neil

You're probably right about the rear bumper - It does have LOTUS embossed on it whereas his Essex No. 11 doesn't - as you say pubicity shots inculding the original sales brochure show a flat bumper without the embossing.

Either way

Bazza - Interesting? What makes you think it had the wrong bumper?

Did it have LOTUS embossed on the back? Some Essex's did though all the publicity shots didn't.

My mates got number 17 which has.

Neil, is that Pauls car you'r talking about?

They are very attractive but I'd rather have YOUR car than that one any day of the week.

C'mon, these beasts are more rare than rocking horse shit, the ultimate G car...

Not to me it's not.

I think the decals are garish and tacky - (even more so than usual! :)) and the blue is nice in the sun but other than that, they are no different to any other engine melting, 4 stud-wheel losing, dry sumper to me! :)

I stand 110% by what I said - I'd rather have a regularly used car with a good engine rebuild and S4 Pistons and Liners and know that the pistons aren't going to collapse at some ever nearing date!

Rare Schmare!

I didn't buy my car to look at a museum piece... I bought it to drive the bo11ocks off it!

...and veritably eunuched it is! :) I take care of it, spend asolutely everything that has been necessary at any given point but in the process I'm going to put it to use for the purpose for which Colin C intended it!

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

Lol!

I don't hugely dislike them but I don't think they're the be all and end all of G-Cars!

I was told he would take a realistic offer for the car. I made one and it soon became apparent that he had no intention of taking a realistic offer for the car.

:) Ha ha good one. I've had that before, traipsed across 3 counties for a car that's "priced to sell" to find a zero history unused paperweight 3 grand over book!

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

See this site for photos to prove - scroll down to the bottom for the white car:

White Essex!

We saw that car about 8 years ago at Donnington.......

I wonder if that's the white Essex that was owned by the Pub landlord around the corner from me (circa 1987) :) Can't be many surely??

He was a real smooth dude with his pringle jumpers and streaked mullett, and the car really helped him in his quest to shag all the fittest checkout girls from the local Co-op....I wasn't at all jealous of him, of course :)

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Lol!

I don't hugely dislike them but I don't think they're the be all and end all of G-Cars!

Robin, I can see the point you are making which I must admit to not seeing before, Guess the rarity and stunning looks of the car is nothing if one wants to be able to use it frequently, as you do, without the fear of it breaking.

I'm fascinated by this, I never thought there were non blue Essex's. There is one on the LEW pages but it's unique history (painted copper as a demo for the Bond Car) explains it. The white one also has only a half leather interior. I'm sure it could have been retrimmed at some stage, but isn't it more likely that this could be an early dry sump, retrofitted with Essex stickers? It has the panasonic roof stereo. Any thoughts? Anyone any Factory info?

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

My old turbo dry sump car 0pw679w ,had all the essex fitments fitted ,dry sump full black leather roof console .lotus reduced the price of the turbo esprit after the essex cars, and then as ever body knows fitted bbs alloys instead of split rims .when i owned my car i wrote to lotus i think they said in total they built approx 125 dry sump cars .i would love to own an essex car if i had the money .mind you any turbo esprit is a fantstic car or maybe an hc turbo i can only dream :):):):(:(

Mat - Yes I agree!

As for G-Cars breaking - my main concern is the forged Pistons which melt - It's purely a question of when, not if... and that the gearbox is incredibly stressed.

For what I want to do, it's not really up to the task without and SE/S4 internal rebuild - after all, that's WHY Lotus made the changes themselves!

None of this however takes away from the fact that they look awesome! :)

• Gold FFM

Chaps, evening.

I have the Ltd. Ed. No 20 in storage at the moment. She reads 266 miles. This car is magnificent. Great colour ( at least to my eyes ), great spec - with roof / air / pigskin suede, Connolly. It's as good underneath as it is up top - it's a new car. A timepiece. I don't reckon the car will depreciate - won't appreciate either. If the car gets used say 1000 miles a year and gives somebody immense satisfaction, what's the worst that can happen financially in percentage terms? It'll still possibly be the best Giugiaro Turbo on the planet. If it does not get used - what's the worst that happen financially in percentage terms? It will always be the best Giugiaro Turbo HC on the planet.

I have 15 new Lotus cars in stock. The cheapest is @

I'm fascinated by this, I never thought there were non blue Essex's.

I'm with you on this one, but always happy to be proved wrong! I thought the whole point of an "Essex" was that it was painted in Essex petroleum sponsorship colours.....

Next thing you know someone will be posting up pictures of their genuine original "built for Colin Chapman's aunt Jemima orange JPS" to prove me even wronger!