Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Sticky butterfly? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Sticky butterfly?

eddie111S

So have bypassed the immobiliser. She starts but revs up stupid !!! Its not a leak on the T piece for the dump valve like I thought earlier. The accelerator cable isn't jammed, nor is the pedal. The part where the cable attaches to on the engine, to operate the butterfly in the inlet manifold seems jammed. The car has been laid up for over 2yrs. Would it be old petrol sticking the butterfly open to a certain position? Any suggestions? I'm thinking a strip down and WD40 then gently manually twisting by hand. Would then a spring pull back the cable and butterfly shuts?   

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

it is possible.  you can remove the plenm cover and clean them.  will probably need a new gasket.

It is also possible that you IAC is sticking, or that you have an air leak in the manifold.

Another possibility is that the throttle jack capsule is sticking open.  Try disconnecting that, and see if the revs are more normal, and then move onto the IAC, clean and check the operation.

You can also log data with freescan if you have the cable and a laptop.

The normal cold start for the ECU is to open the throttle jack to up to ~2000rpm and then go down as the engine warms.  is that what you are experiencing?

• Like 1

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

it is possible.  you can remove the plenm cover and clean them.  will probably need a new gasket.

It is also possible that you IAC is sticking, or that you have an air leak in the manifold.

Another possibility is that the throttle jack capsule is sticking open.  Try disconnecting that, and see if the revs are more normal, and then move onto the IAC, clean and check the operation.

You can also log data with freescan if you have the cable and a laptop.

The normal cold start for the ECU is to open the throttle jack to up to ~2000rpm and then go down as the engine warms.  is that what you are experiencing?

Hi, yeah it was the throttle body butterflies. Cleaned them up. The two most forward were the worst. The car has been sat in my mates car body shop for nearly 2yrs, due to it not going. Summer was very hot this year and with all the dust and shit in the air no wonder. I bought some special throttle body cleaner,and used loads of WD40. The cold weather wasn't very helpful. I freed off the butterflies. I rebuilt the Plem cover, but used Locktite instant gasket. Modern technology. I used this on my Turbo Esprit on the cam carrier covers. Never leaked. Forget cardboard as a sealer. This part is now sorted. She runs really smooth. I have suspect damage to the Cobra 6422 command module, and its probably not sending the right signal to the immobiliser. Therefore I've hot wired the outer pairs of pins for fuel pump and starter motor. I'm gonna get the alarm module checked out, as I have no horn, electric windows or mirrors. Need to check all the relays are the correct type and are in the right location too. I've got battery drain. Anyone with a unmolested GT3 and could send me photos of the front and rear relay stations, that would be a big help. I've got access to the schematics. Running out of time to bring the car back to UK for Christmas and New Year.