Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Day at the Grampian Transport Museum - Sunday 10th August 2014 - UK - LEGS (Lotus Enthusiast Group Scotland) - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Day at the Grampian Transport Museum - Sunday 10th August 2014

Hi folks,

Following on from the success of last year’s Breakfast Club event at GTM (apart from me being over exuberant and stuffing my clutch!) I have arranged for us to do it again next year.

As per this year the plan is to do the event on behalf of GTM for their members.

This means we are not a club simply using their facilities which is extremely costly.

We can use the track, taking people out for passenger rides, have access to the Motor Museum and indulge in the BBQ all for free…… and have a bit of fun in the process!

I would like to arrange a wide group of Lotus cars from the very early cars up to the latest cars.

They can be either static displays or take part in the track runs which seemed to be enjoyed by all the drivers this year.

It would be about a 2 hour session in the afternoon. Depending on the number of participants, we will swap cars out on the track as the drivers want to take a break... or the brakes need to take a break! 

It has to be stressed that these are demonstration rides only and there is no racing under any circumstances due to safety risks with passengers and the public next to the track.

There would be a maximum of about 8 cars on track at any time and I would like to get about 15 cars minimum.

For those traveling from further afield, it would be a good opportunity to arrange an evening event on the Saturday as well .... suggestions please?

I need to get back to GTM with a proposed date ASAP so they can reserve a slot for us in the events calendar, either Sunday 10th or Sunday 17th August 2014….August Breakfast Club perhaps?.

Who arranges the dates for those?

Can I ask the relevant people in all the affiliated groups to circulate this round please but link back to this thread so I can get a list of numbers here rather than across various pages / forums.

Please add your car to the list including model, year and if you would like to take part in static or track and your name.

I will start the ball rolling. 

Lotus Esprit S1 (100G) – 1976 – Static  -  Gordon Masson

Lotus Esprit GT3         -  1997  -  Track  -  Gordon Masson

GTM Web site http://www.gtm.org.uk/

2013 Event

post-237-0-11174100-1386609099.jpg

post-237-0-22306500-1386609119.jpg

post-237-0-06149000-1386609134.jpg

post-237-0-77628600-1386609177.jpg

post-237-0-60795900-1386609186.jpg

post-237-0-38265100-1386609194.jpg

post-237-0-23848900-1386609222.jpg

post-237-0-14328400-1386609208.jpg

post-237-0-80305400-1386609231.jpg

post-237-0-38606300-1386609242.jpg

post-237-0-34575800-1386609256.jpg

Gordon

Great news that GTM would like to do the Lotus day again next year. We have nothing in the calendar so for for next year so any date in August would be fine. we usually like to have the breakfast meeting on the 1st Sunday in August but it it has been moved in the past to tie in with events like this. If you choose the date that will be fine.

How is the clutch on the GT3? I have just had to have my clutch replaced as the clutch pressure plate was cracked!!! I am just wondering if I was a bit over exuberant as well during our auto test.

I will post this up on Facebook as there is a Lotus Ecosse page as well as the LEGS page.

Lotus Esprit GT3         -  1997  -  Track  -  Gordon Masson

Lotus Esprit V8 - 2003 -Track - Brian King

• Gold FFM

If all goes to plan and works out the way I want it too then we will make an appearance with hopefully the new project.

Gordon

Great news that GTM would like to do the Lotus day again next year. We have nothing in the calendar so for for next year so any date in August would be fine. we usually like to have the breakfast meeting on the 1st Sunday in August but it it has been moved in the past to tie in with events like this. If you choose the date that will be fine.

How is the clutch on the GT3? I have just had to have my clutch replaced as the clutch pressure plate was cracked!!! I am just wondering if I was a bit over exuberant as well during our auto test.

I will post this up on Facebook as there is a Lotus Ecosse page as well as the LEGS page.

Lotus Esprit GT3         -  1997  -  Track  -  Gordon Masson

Lotus Esprit V8 - 2003 -              Track -   Brian King.

?????????    Secret Project !     Static -   John & Wendy

Good show Gordon,

I thought I'd posted up the day you posted and surprised not to see my posting!  Getting senile.  At the moment I cannot be 100% sure of my rota then, as we are changing in the spring from 3x3 to 4x4 and when it changes in the year makes a difference but the best guess is I am home for both but you will understand nearer the time I'm sure if I have to pull out.  The later date is the more likely of the 2 (but don't let that sway you) and I'm booked on a 2 day OIM's course in Aberdeen on the Mon/Tue afterwards.

Lotus Esprit GT3         -  1997  -  Track  -  Gordon Masson

Lotus Esprit V8 - 2003 -              Track -   Brian King.

?????????    Secret Project !     Static -   John & Wendy

Lotus Evora S SR look               - Track - Al.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

I cannot be 100% sure at this time but I would like to do this, track use, in my 1972 Europa Special. Barry Smith

Hi folks

Can I have a show of hands for which date to go for please. Do any of the dates fit in with the Breakfast Club better?

....Either that or one of the coordinators just pick a date?

Can we re-order things a bit to make it clearer……. Please edit with your preference for date and your intended participation for the event and re-post

NO PREFERENCE ON DATE

Gordon Masson

SUNDAY 10th AUGUST

SUNDAY 17th AUGUST

Al

STATIC DISPLAY

Lotus Esprit S1 (100G) (1976) - Gordon Masson

Secret Project  (????) - John & Wendy

TRACK RUNS

Lotus Esprit GT3 (1997) - Gordon Masson

Lotus Esprit V8 (2003) - Brian King

Lotus Evora S SR look (2013) - Al

Europa Special (1972) - Barry Smith

Brian.....

Clutch on the GT3 is fixed but it was a sore one!

I had just finished the track runs so no doubt the clutch was pretty hot from horsing down the back straight from a standing start over and over again.

My over exuberance destroyed the clutch plate on the flywheel side and stripped it off all the friction material completely exposing the rivets which then gouged a pretty impressive amount of the flywheel off.

The net result was engine out, new pressure plate, new friction plate, new thrust bearing………and new flywheel !

All in all an expensive lesson to learn, especially when the clutch was replaced and fly wheel skimmed less than 3000 miles ago… wouldn’t have hurt quite so much if I had won!

Needless to say, 100G will not be taking part in any Autotest activities but may have a run round the track prior to the public track runs

Gordon,

Just to give you the heads up and maybe Andrew will post more on here, but when we were down south at the w/e he was saying Knockhill have been in touch with him regards doing something to commemorate Jim Clark's World Championship or something and during the BTCC w/e at KH which is the 23rd/24th w/e.  

I'm so so sure how far advanced that is, what it is, and if maybe only open to older cars.  

i.e. I know nothing other than potentially 2 events a week apart.  :cry:

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

Looks like we will have a fair bit on in August

Provisional date for the Lotus Festival at Brands Hatch 17th.

Also the 24th for Knockhill Jim Clark

This mail is from

Stuart Grey, MD of KH.

We are celebrating 50 years since Jim Clark won the British Touring Car Championship in 1964 and are aiming to have an impressive collection of Jims cars, a gathering on Lotus Cortina’s and a mass gathering of all Lotus models, old and new, at the BTCC event on August 24th.

We want to fill the middle of the circuit beside the commentary tower with a display of up to 200 Lotus in an exclusive parking area.

Please find attached a Release about Flash visiting the Jim Clark Room and the announcement about how we are fund raising for the Room.

I hope it is of interest and can this be spread around, especially the code JIMCLARK50 as all those using the code will benefit the Jim Clark Room.

Regards

Stuart"

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/tutt ... /9/records (not sure if this only works from my computer)

The 10th for the transport museum

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Looks to be only your computer.  The link only takes you to a Yahoo Groups front end page. 

For those on Scottish Elises as well there is a post over there listing names/cars etc.  One thing that is noted however is it will not be a turn up on the day thing.  You have to be pre-registered - and in early and stay late for thiose that don't know KH's layout.as you have to cross the track to get to the car parking mentioned although very early days I appreciate so no rush.

I won't be doing Brands this year but would like to do the Jim Clark event with 100G

Any more offers of cars and drivers for GTM please.

Gordon,

:offtopic: but.......

Do you have any info on the Speedfest date for 2014?  Nothing on website apart from watch this space type rubbish but you are an insider!  Probably the 29th June if following previous last weekend in June trend but that is FoS @ Goodwood for some. I should be home so wanting to take ownership of the date in our social calendar!  :sofa:  :driving:

Gordon,

:offtopic: but.......

Do you have any info on the Speedfest date for 2014?  Nothing on website apart from watch this space type rubbish but you are an insider!  Probably the 29th June if following previous last weekend in June trend but that is FoS @ Goodwood for some. I should be home so wanting to take ownership of the date in our social calendar!  :sofa:  :driving:

Hi Al

Not yet but I will get one when I confirm the date for our Lotus day.

As per previous years I will organise a group entry for us and try to get as many Lotus cars in as possible. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks

Can I have a show of hands for which date to go for please. Do any of the dates fit in with the Breakfast Club better?

....Either that or one of the coordinators just pick a date?

Can we re-order things a bit to make it clearer……. Please edit with your preference for date and your intended participation for the event and re-post

NO PREFERENCE ON DATE

Gordon Masson

SUNDAY 10th AUGUST

SUNDAY 17th AUGUST

Al

STATIC DISPLAY

Secret Project (????) - John & Wendy

TRACK RUNS

Europa Special (1972) - Barry Smith

Brian.....

Clutch on the GT3 is fixed but it was a sore one!

I had just finished the track runs so no doubt the clutch was pretty hot from horsing down the back straight from a standing start over and over again.

My over exuberance destroyed the clutch plate on the flywheel side and stripped it off all the friction material completely exposing the rivets which then gouged a pretty impressive amount of the flywheel off.

The net result was engine out, new pressure plate, new friction plate, new thrust bearing………and new flywheel !

All in all an expensive lesson to learn, especially when the clutch was replaced and fly wheel skimmed less than 3000 miles ago… wouldn’t have hurt quite so much if I had won!

Needless to say, 100G will not be taking part in any Autotest activities but may have a run round the track prior to the public track runs

Gordon - hi there. Would it be possible for me to be included in the Lotus Day at Alford? I'm keen for my car to be demonstrated and having just signed up to TLF (I've been a long time member across at SE) I have just found this thread.

I have no restrictions on dates in August and I drive a 2013 Exige V6 in yellow :-). I would be happy to do some track runs. I'm also interested in the Speedfest - having spectated for many years I would like to take part now that I have the wheels under me to do it justice.

Cheers - and Happy New Year :-)

Edited by anthonyyule

Happy new year folks!

Glad to have you along for the Lotus day at GTM Chris / Anthony

I have added you to th list below.

NO PREFERENCE ON DATE

Gordon Masson

SUNDAY 10th AUGUST

SUNDAY 17th AUGUST

Al

STATIC DISPLAY

TRACK RUNS

Lotus Europa Special (1972) - Barry Smith

Lotus Exige V6 (2013) - Anthony Yule

Lotus Exige V6 (20??) - Chris

Gordon,

Do you have a confirmed date with them yet?  I assume that you are looking for the 10th now with 17th being Lotus Festival for some.  Even if people don't go S then it would be better to have the 2 Scottish things 2 weeks apart just to keep the domestic harmony in some households.

If you can confirm a date it would be good to get this thread title changed which I can maybe do if you can't, and I'll also have it fixed in diary for discussion at next Sundays Breakfast Club. You able to make it?

Al.

• 2 weeks later...

OK folks.

We need to make a final decision on the date for this so that I can go back to GTM and secure our slot.

I am easy either way but based on other events etc can I have a final call on when we are going to do this from one of the Regional Coordinators please?

Thanks

Oh, and keep the cars coming please.

Its going to be a great day out and I have booked glorious sunshine for both days so that's all good then :love icecream:

Gordon,

Go for the 10th please.  Already mentioned this as the date in social chit chat at The Breakfast Club.

The 17th is the Lotus Festival at Brands hatch and the 24th is BTCC @ Knockhill and the Jim Clark Lotus tribute thing so many will struggle with 2 weekends on the trot.

Hi Allan

OK, will do, I will get back to GTM today and confirm.

Any more cars available please?

• 2 weeks later...

STATIC DISPLAY

TRACK RUNS
Lotus Europa Special (1972) - Barry Smith
Lotus Exige V6 (2013) - Anthony Yule
Lotus Exige V6 (20??) - Chris
Lotus Evora - Sharron

• 2 months later...

Hi, new to the forum and Lotus. I'd like to join in if I'm not away working. Static or track, 2009 Elise SC. Haven't been to GTM for many years. Will also try to get to speedfest as well.

Cheers

Ian.

• Like 1

Hi, new to the forum and Lotus. I'd like to join in if I'm not away working. Static or track, 2009 Elise SC. Haven't been to GTM for many years. Will also try to get to speedfest as well.

Cheers

Ian.

Hi Ian and welcome.... keep an eye on the thread for updates... you can use the "follow thread" button

Cheers

Gordon

Hi Ian and welcome to LEGS. I will add you to the group PM list so you get a message when we organise our events.

Look forward to meeting you sometime. 

Brian

Hi Gordon,

This was a great event last year, I can bring My Esprit GT3 (1998) and Elan M100 (1991) but only one on the track at a time.

cheers Archie