Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Tyres - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Tyres

Guest Mutley00

Guest Mutley00

I'm running Dunlop Sport 9000 all over the car. I noticed yesterday that there are hairline cracks that go the entire circumference of both rear tyres where the outer tread comes to the first gap in the tread before changing to the 'pattern' in the middle (see piccy).

The garage stated that 'all Dunlops crack' and obviously wanted to sell me two new ones but there's about 6mm tread on them despite being about 13 years old. Has anyone else experienced this and what are your views on whether they need replacing?  

They quoted me £160 + VAT for some Good Year F1s - has anyone any views on these?

Thanks, Andrew.

post-6598-0-42792800-1390046677.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

100% change them, without doubt. Personally I'd never use a tyre more than 4-5 years old on a performance car, yours will be like driving on blocks of wood and not only are you losing a huge amount of performance I'd suggest that if you were to drive the car other than to the shops you'd be putting yourself in a dangerous position in terms of grip (including for braking) and possible failure. 

There's a large thread in here with tyre reviews/opinions that you could read. My last tyre of choice on my Esprit was the Michelin Pilot Sport 3, probably the best tyres I've ever driven on. 

Drive your Esprit more, use the tyres more and you'll change them more often, not a bad thing. Using 2mm in 13 years is nuts! 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Guest Mutley00

Thanks for the replies chaps. Goodyears it is then. My mate seems to be giving me them at a good price judging by a few price searches I've done.

Bibs, I will drive it more - honest your honour, but I've only owned it 2 years and it spent one year of that off the road whilst I sourced some synchro rings for 1st & 2nd.

Sods law - its now running sweet as the sweetiest sweety thing  and I now need to sell to help my son with a house purchase  :(

Thanks for the heads up Andrew - I'm running the same tyres on my Turbo SE and according to my papers they were last changed in 1997. Driving my car in anything but the driest weather has proven life-threatening. I'll check for these cracks myself and then get on with the quest of finding 15" that fit the fronts.... (or hopefully an alternative that doesn't involve mixing brands.)

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Guest Mutley00

Thanks for the heads up Andrew - I'm running the same tyres on my Turbo SE and according to my papers they were last changed in 1997. Driving my car in anything but the driest weather has proven life-threatening. I'll check for these cracks myself and then get on with the quest of finding 15" that fit the fronts.... (or hopefully an alternative that doesn't involve mixing brands.)

No problem Vanya. If you struggle with replacements and ever come over to England, I can get you some at a top price as my mate owns an independent tyre company. Sheffield is only 1 hours very pleasurable drive from Hull if any ferrys go there from Sweden.

Edited by Mutley00

I replaced all the tyres on my car with Nexus tyres. The are much cheaper than others and are popular in the states. I got them via etyres and they fitted them at my home.  Very happy with them.

No problem Vanya. If you struggle with replacements and ever come over to England, I can get you some at a top price as my mate owns an independent tyre company. Sheffield is only 1 hours very pleasurable drive from Hull if any ferrys go there from Sweden.

Cheers! I actually might be making a trip to the UK this summer with a guy I know who repairs Esprits (specifically) for a living. He mentioned a roadtrip being worth it just for picking up replacement windshields. I'll let you know!

Here in Sweden I seem to be able to get a hold of 215/50r15 Sport 9000s but they cost something like 180 quid each. Ripooooff!

Ironically it's the rears that are proving tougher...245/50r16 - I've found some odd brands (Nexen?) and often ones that aren't even speed rated past 240 km/h (not that I drive at those speeds anyway...). I think there are some Kumhos that work too.

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

• 3 weeks later...

I had the goodyear eagles on mine but ive replaced with Hancooks...and I think theyre much better and a significant price difference. Khumo was my other choice. .the tyres only last 5to6k miles anyhow so spending top dollar on big brands didnt compute ..

.the tyres only last 5to6k miles anyhow so spending top dollar on big brands didnt compute ..

Counter intuitive. It doesn't matter IMO how long they last, you want the best tyres you can get on your supercar. Its not wasteful, you know how important tyres are and being better in all respects generally, will potentially be worth their weight in gold and in the meantime lead to a better experience with the car.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Sorry I should have clarified I meant buying a well known brand at a high price on the assumption that its better than a cheaper brand. Ive never fitted cheapo nasty tyres ever to any car. But the products available today from manufacturers like khumo and hancook easily match the quality of more traditional big names. If you get me..