Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Right then better start my '77 S1 project... - Page 10 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Right then better start my '77 S1 project...

Other cars are;

http://mediaslice.net/LotusEspritS2.htm

An airride VW beetle and a hard slammed VW Karmann Ghia.

I started out in the VDub scene but after two cars that scene wasn't for me, they have a kinda underlying voice that thinks VW is the only marque on the face of the plsnet and that everything else is 'pony and trap'... that's cockney, look it up in google.

70's Lotuses fit perfectly on my shoulders now, no body rust to deal with, loads of interchangable parts with other British cars of the period and dare I say it simple mechsnics, I.e. you can fix them with a basic tool kit. Plus the age group here seems to be less juvenile and there are lots of people on here with great Lotus knoweldge. The Elite for me is currently the most unusual Retro 70's Lotus out there and was crying out for a slight visual treat. "Typical, I've only been out for five minutes and I'm already in a hot car!". Charlie ;-)

You did good with the Esprit, looks really nice.

Good luck on the remaining jobs to do, you'll know better than I how it's easy to underestimate the little jobs, sometimes they can take up a surprising amount of time to do properly.

VW's eh, I would have thought Mini's, E-type or even an Aston ( but not a coach), with that moniker. Btw, I'm from Marylebone, don't need a translation.

Are you thinking of your next project yet?

No, this project is far from complete so will keep me going for a while yet. What about the lambo?

The real Mr C would never entertain something not British, it's just not done is it?

• Like 1

So, got a few days off from work. My rear light lenses although in good shape with no cracks the rear studs were practically useless. So what to do, I thought I'd drill them out and restud them with M4 bolts. So before drilling I needed a flat surface to drill off so I anglegrinded them flat but to my delight the heat must have loosened the original studs and they fell out, result! So a touch of epoxy resin new M4 bolts in and we now have good studs to work with, cool.

20140804_115742_zpsc639d532.jpg

20140804_082202_zpsff519e31.jpg

20140804_082215_zps9e90f043.jpg

20140804_081909_zps92320dc4.jpg

Very satisfying however I hasten to add that certanly was not the motive for the build, just wanted a new project to get stuck into. Of course I have accepted but they need to know the car is mid build, the interior as you know is repulsive and needs a change. Anyway all good and on we go... "Put your foot down, put your foot down!"

Very satisfying however I hasten to add that certanly was not the motive for the build, just wanted a new project to get stuck into. Of course I have accepted but they need to know the car is mid build, the interior as you know is repulsive and needs a change. Anyway all good and on we go... "Put your foot down, put your foot down!"

Let us all here know when it's coming out.

Btw, did you like the bit in the film where they were working under the back of the mini's, and explained that they were "checking the diffs" !!!.

• Like 1

20140806_143116_zps0e2b4dd1.jpg[br][br]Just mocked up the front splitter/spoiler looks good me thinks, I found quite a good match to the original red in Halfrauds 'Honda Rio Red' so just gave it a qiuck once over. I have no intention of painting it to a high standard as I get the feeling it will take a bashing or two in it's lifetime, so I want to be able to whip it off, repair it, paint it and get it back on quickly. Thanks for the great comments guys, I should be at The Gathering in person, probably mooching around the Lotus stand. All the best, Charlie.

I'm still kicking myself at the 99p elite interior on ebay I missed around feb... but it was grey! only one bid!!!!

I've had a few near misses on eBay for a doner car, most recent sickens me to this day, had my bid typed into the box with around 15 minutes to go and was watching it as I was browsing the net. Anyway I was flicking between tabs and the time had ran down to about 30 seconds, so I click bid now, BALLS the screen had timed out! So I spend the next 15 seconds trying to log back in but no such luck, the car went for 200 odd quid and had what looked like a untouched cream interior, gutted. I had to leave the house to get my mind off of it I was so pissed off!

Udates are plentiful this week seeing as I am off. Ok, so I've just sprayed (rattle cans) the front splitter and it has come out very well indeed, nice and shiny, very happy with it. Not much really left to do on the exterior, just a few areas that need attention. I've smoothed the rear area of the car, I.e. removed and filled the rear wiper, all the shittyy brackets that came with it and also taken off the radio antenna. Looks much better now much cleaner. I'm also now convinced that the cherries should be black, they seem to destract the eye off the line of the body and we wouldn't want to do that now would we! Ive also put the repulsive interior back in so I can start testing the thing. Video pending...

20140808_100116_zps38588ff3.jpg

20140808_100140_zpse53128c8.jpg

20140808_102453_zps5c0eda81.jpg

• Like 1

Believe it or not it can go lower than that! Not that you can drive it that low, shows only. I'll try to get a photo next to another car soon, got to sort this PAS leak out first, driving around the bend!

• 3 weeks later...

Good news tonight the Lotus Gods were smiling at me, theres no leak in the rad, just, what looks like an overflow pipe going to nowhere, that is leaking out, I'll get a photo. Also the fans have come on!!! Get in!!! Not only that, on an electrical front the headlights are now working correctly, just a matter of trial and error with the contacts on the dash board switch! Now that these issues are on there way to being solved I feel like I am in touching distance to face off at the MOT. Finally getting to where I need to be, oh and I've also just bought a sewing machine ready to attempt to rework the interior, commmonnnn!!!

I've been following your build on retro rides for months, funny how on this forum you didn't pluck up the courage to mention the air-ride until page 7! :P

You posted what width and offset the wheels are, but what is the diameter?  15"?  16"?

BTW, the car looks amazing.

Darren

Edited by iambadgerous