Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Right then better start my '77 S1 project... - Page 12 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Right then better start my '77 S1 project...

First ever picture outside my drive.[br][br]20140927_132739_zps89daa1be.jpg[br][br]Everything system except the cooling seems to be working, she's just over heating sitting between 90 and 140 so around 110 which is freaking me out a little, would prefer to see the gauge at 90 before I really push it. Brakes are average, even though I bled them this morning, they are gunna need adjusting, pedal is very low. [br][br]I have to say on it's maiden run the onlookers are either puzzled or smiling, had my first thumbs up so that was nice. I felt like I was hoovering up the road, twigs, paper, ants, flees. The Panther has begun to purr...

• Like 2

On a side note... You have done so much proper work on this car... The refurbishing of the caps looks good... But...the badge is wrong. You have got the modern type of the Logo but need the old one without serifes. I know you are keen about detailing, that's why I only notice it ;)

Edited by Don.Hasi
  • Like 1

Cheers Don, I've had a bit of a fail on those caps anyway, with the new wheel I had to cut them down and now they don't really fit correctly, so for now they're off the wheels. I'll need to find a new cap for this specific wheel cos' the original caps ain't working and don't 'click in'.

Charlie

Did you fix reverse?  It is usually simply that the reversing light switch on the back end of the gearbox has been screwed in too far.  I suggest you slack it right off, select reverse, then re-tighten until the reversing light just comes on.  Chances are strong that'll fix it. And at a cost of  0p.

Herc 

• Like 1

No but I've taken your advice and slackened off the reverse light switch, lets see if that works, if it does then that would be the single best piece of advice I have had on any forum cos' I almost bought a new gearbox to solve it, lets see.

Anyway, back to today, I think I've solved the overheating issue, seems in the haste to get the car ready for MOT I forgot to connect a hose to the expansion tank hence creating a void in the system, just waiting for some new hose and we should be back on track, again some great advice from someone on here. In the meantime I've been practising sewing and to my surprise my efforts look respectable. Ive also, this morning, had a go at wrapping someof the interior pieces, and my first go is also very encouraging. Have a look, see what you think.

20141004_101238_zpsdb84ebd0.jpg

20141004_101219_zps34feef99.jpg

20141004_101157_zps79f5281f.jpg

20141004_100246_zpsd6b5df0d.jpg

20141004_095521_zps2aed2410.jpg

I have to say though, even though the result looks spot on there is a lot of work involved and it's a bloody messy job. I used spray contact adhesive, this stuff is great cos' you can get really good direction from the can, using a brush imho would be a ballache. Any way, cut the cloth to size, spray both pieces and lightly apply the material, then ease it into position. Once in place, from the center out apply pressure and slowly but surely the material begins to stick. Once down though, it ain't coming off! Just another 1000 pieces to go!

Looks great Charlie.

Question for you:

Have you trimmed the piece that goes behind the rear seats and goes around the rear glass panel? I've done all of mine apart from that piece as it can be seen from both inside the car and from the boot area.

Quick update. I've made my very first trim piece on the sewing machine today and to my amazement it has come out more than respectable. It's quite a simple piece but I'm slowly learning how to cope with bits of fabric and sewing on a curve. It's incredibly satisfying to see the piece evolve from the machine, it's a bit tricky at times (feels like you need a 6 hands) as all the panels are flapping around but slowly but surely it starts to come together as you see the shape develop. I'll post some photos tomorrow.

• Like 1

Bit of a long post this morning. So I've been having ago at re-trimming and have completed my first ever piece. Its a cross rail that covers the rollbar and houses the interior/map light. As you see from the photos there are loads of steps in the process, firstly you have to measure and cut the cloth and map out the cut lines. Then when you are happy with your pattern you then sew it all together, all good. However that's just the beginning, the fun really starts when you begin to wrap the piece, my word you need about 15 pairs of hands! The difficulty is lining up the sew lines to follow the piece. It really is a two man job (would help greatly if someone stretched the material over the piece as the other person applies pressure to adhere the material.) Anyway so I did the best I could and I think I've achieved a repectabke 7 out of 10. The line is a touch wobbly but considering how difficult it is to apply the cloth with one person I'm more than happy. If I can get all the rest of the piece to be a 7 or higher (out of 10) I'll be over the moon.

Happy Sunday, Charlie ;-)

20141011_173255_zps40c6b01c.jpg

20141011_173301_zps622c0d62.jpg

20141011_173652_zps8cfef78d.jpg

20141012_090215_zpsaa9dc0f8.jpg

20141012_092324_zpsba25d11a.jpg

20141012_092714_zpsd7f36ea6.jpg

Gentlemen, START - YOUR - ENGINES! Finally after months and months of hard work the panther is ALIVE! No overheating (now resting beautifully at below 90d and brakes seem to be a lot better, even if the pedal is still low. Just been for a good 30 minute run and everything, I mean everything has come together, all systems are GO! Right I'm off for another blast, see ya soon ;-) ...

Nice one Charlie! Feel free to pop over to me in Essex and show it off! Would love to see it in the flesh.

Have a question:

Photo number 4 - what material is that then? Did you then cover this over with your sewing pieces?

Photo 4 is original elite headlining foam, previous owner gave it to me when I bought the car. To be honest it is so easy to apply that stuff as it stretches to whereever you need it to go. Much harder to then wrap that with my chosen material. I might redo that piece anyhow I'm not 100% pleased with it, I think I can do better and I have loads of that material remaining. Essex, as you know I am originally from down south, but that would be an epic run, if you want to see it I may try and get it in at the NEC, see if I can get a pass.

Photo 4 is original elite headlining foam, previous owner gave it to me when I bought the car. To be honest it is so easy to apply that stuff as it stretches to whereever you need it to go. Much harder to then wrap that with my chosen material. I might redo that piece anyhow I'm not 100% pleased with it, I think I can do better and I have loads of that material remaining. Essex, as you know I am originally from down south, but that would be an epic run, if you want to see it I may try and get it in at the NEC, see if I can get a pass.

So......the original headlining foam; do you have to cover that with your material or could you have just left it like that?

That foam is meant to be the final material, and I believe that is what the elite is meant to have. I however have decided to finish the headliner, all rails and rear window piece in the material you see in the photos. If you want an easy life use the foam, it stretches in every conceivable way so you dont have to make any special pieces or go anywhere near a sewing machine.

Thank god for that! I've done the foam stuff to all my bits and thought that was it, when you started putting your sewn bits on I thought oh bugger, maybe it was just an underlay of sorts!

Your material looks WAY better than the foam stuff btw.

Keep it up!

• Like 1

I've redone this interior piece, just wasn't happy with the padding and fat look. So I've recovered it and I think it looks better and in keeping with the rest of the pieces, hope to attempt the headlining this weekend, or at least make a start. 

20141014_191812_zps4fe2a83d.jpg

• Like 2

Today's installment see me tackle two of the hardest trim pieces in the car, that is the two windowscreen down pillars. They are tricky on two fronts, one it isn't a detachable piece to wrap but only being able to stick the material to the pillar directly. So I sewed two piece, left and right and made sure there was more than enough cloth to cover right upto the door jam. I have to say though that contact adhesive (in a tin, non spray) has to be the spunk of satan. I hate this stuff, sticks on bloody everything, my hands were practically bonded together after the job! Anyway they went down well and immediately you can see a lift to the interior. I'm gunna try and get the headlining done over the next few days as I have a couple of days off.

20141018_091642_zps7901286f.jpg

20141018_091701_zps3c426063.jpg

20141018_103706_zps475cd914.jpg

20141018_103717_zps75bb4cf2.jpg

20141018_103746_zps03b9fb7e.jpg

• Like 1

Can't remember who gave me the advice about the reverse gear and turning back the reverse light nut at the back of the gearbox, but a massive thank you is in order cos' it has definitely greatly improved things, hardly jumping out of reverse at all now, result!