Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Right then better start my '77 S1 project... - Page 16 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Right then better start my '77 S1 project...

While I've been waiting for a few things to arrive, today I decided to polish my trumpets! Been meaning to do this since I've owed the car, and finally after months of other jobs I managed to have a go at them. I took of the k&n filters and removed the stacks. Filed of all the residual casting mess and proceeded to sand and then polish them with cutting compound. I also bought some brass mess of eBay and made my own filters, I'm over the moon with them and they should add a nice bit of engine bay bling!

20141207_161322_zpsj3cb1uxa.jpg

20141207_161359_zpsxbdrsa2i.jpg

20141207_161657_zpsmqu1mvbm.jpg

Two down, two to go.

• Like 1

While I've been waiting for a few things to arrive, today I decided to polish my trumpets! Been meaning to do this since I've owed the car, and finally after months of other jobs I managed to have a go at them. I took of the k&n filters and removed the stacks. Filed of all the residual casting mess and proceeded to sand and then polish them with cutting compound. I also bought some brass mess of eBay and made my own filters, I'm over the moon with them and they should add a nice bit of engine bay bling!

20141207_161322_zpsj3cb1uxa.jpg

20141207_161359_zpsxbdrsa2i.jpg

20141207_161657_zpsmqu1mvbm.jpg

Two down, two to go.

Looking very good.  With them blinged up I'd go without the K&Ns to be honest :)

Nice one.

Just a thought.  When you go away from the stock airbox to either your setup or the K&Ns, what do you do with the 2 pipes that would normally go from the engine back into the airbox?

• Gold FFM

Do what I did with the S3, buy a small Sparco filter unit that fits onto the brather hose from the block and adapt the small breather hose from the rocker cover to attach to the same breather and let it flow through the filter, works a treat. Some people fit an oil catch can instead but does the same job.

• Like 1

Photobucket has decided to work again so I can now post a few photos of my speakers install albeit just the rears at the moment, I have to do the rears first as I can't go forward and complete the rear seat installation until the speaker pods are complete and reattached to the rear quarters, you still with me? Ha! Anyhow here's the photos, first up the speakers and my Heath Robinson bracket to 'make the fit'. [br][br]Vibe Fli, good quality for not a lot of dollar.[br]20141207_131827_zpsp7m57xkd.jpg[br][br]Heath Robison bracket with scaple washer ????20141207_131856_zpsx7zuyabw.jpg[br][br]20141208_185234_zpsobnpaxtc.jpg[br][br]You don't really see this grill once back on the rear quarter panel, it's kinda deep down in the pocket.[br]20141208_185259_zpsmzb6equp.jpg[br][br]20141208_185309_zpsj5ms1lfm.jpg[br][br]PS There's gunna be a whole heap of ugly install photos in the next couple of months, so bare with me, trying to get the interior refit done before February, be worth it in the end.

Charlie, I'm curious... what grade of mesh did you use for the air trumpets (i.e. how big are the holes)? Looks so much better than air filter socks for over them.

I found this stuff on eBay, 6 squid delivered

http://m.ebay.co.uk/orderDetails?itemId=151493970667&txnId=1176936963005

Everyone keeps telling me its this or that and you need a less dense mesh for performance and all that but I say, yadda yadda yadda... for me it's all about the bling. I want my engine bay to be like that moment in pulp fiction when vincent vega opens the siut case... "we happy, vincent?"... "yeah, we happy".

http://youtu.be/LRRKKKUAtoc

The trumpets look cool. :smoke: which k&N Filter did you have had on it before exactly?

These...

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/221628864295?nav=SELLING_ACTIVE

• Like 1

So I've finally broken the back of the rear interior seats and rear quarters install, and I am now ready to recover the pieces. I've recoverd the quarter in foam and have made a template to use for the final material.

20141219_201322_zpsxl3tpe2t.jpg

20141219_201330_zps8y7r6eoy.jpg

Believe it or not the paper template below is the exact shape I need to recover the panel. It's such a weird shape as it has to wrap up and around on two planes.

20141219_201253_zps8e414wij.jpg

Well what a friggin' disaster! Sometimes you just have to just admit defeat, so all day I've been at these fffing rear quarters and they look absolute shite! Hours of cutting templates, sewing, glueing, sticking, pulling fingers raw to the bone and I step back and what a pile of crap. I think this one job I will have to give to the pros or wait and source original. What a ball ache, gutted, oh well can't win them all. Need a whiskey, Charlie!

Oh dear sorehand again.

It looked as if you had cracked it once the foam was on there.

Now you have gone so far don't give up. Step back from it, a good nights sleep, go out for Sunday lunch or what ever.

Then when you least expect it the Eureka moment will dawn. You will see the solution and realise where you went wrong.

I hope to see a good result soon.

• Like 1

I'll get there, just had one of those days when it all goes tits up. Need to get my head off of these quarters and turn my attention to something else, think I'll tackle the doorcards next, should be fairly simple as the center piece comes out and sholud be relatively easy to recover. Nobody said it would be easy!

• Like 1

Exactly the way to go. Tackle something else and whilst doing so contemplate the rear seating and side panel problem.

I have been giving this some thought myself overnight.

The difficulty arises from the fact that the construction of the Elite rear seating and side panels is entirely different from the Eclat.

I was lucky in finding an original leather interior for the Elite to replace the original corded fabric type.

What surpised me was the actual amount of leather used or lack of it. Large amounts of the area covered is leatherette!

For instance the rear side panels are leatherette, the built in seat arm rest is leatherette whilst the sitting area is leather. The centre panel is leather and so is the centre console.

Now my idea, owing to the fact that you have sewing skills and a sewing machine, would be to use the original Elite side panels which are leatherette anyway. Use the Elite seat frame taking off the covering held on with hundreds of hog rings and split the rear seat cover down the seam after the arm rest. Graft on the Eclat leather seat area. and replace the cover any colour rectification can be done using Vinylkote later. The manufactureres state that Vinylkote does leather as well as plastic.

In theory I think it would work but as I do not have an Eclat seat to hand so I do not know if the sizes match up.

Maybe this could be an avenue to explore of using the Eclat seats as a donor not replacement.

Hog ring pliers (Sealy) are cheap from Driveleisure at £7.50 and the hog rings vary in price. The best deal I found was 250 @ £6.50 or 1000 for £15.00 from handtools_uk both on fleabay postage included.

I had to invest in both pliers and hog rings as the seat frames needed welding in a couple of places.

Best of luck.

Cheers Adrian, the problem isn't the position or fitting of the seats and rear quarters, as I've spent hours trial fitting everything, in actual fact it all fits snug as a rug now. The issue is covering the piece, firstly the eclat quarter has a shelf like level which the seat belt comes up through, unlike the elite which has no ledge but a smoother face to the panel which the seat belt goes through. The problem I've created is no one piece of material will not stretch over all the different faces and angles. What looked so crap was the final material seemed to show up every inconsistency in the panel of which I thought the foam backing would disguise. There are options to solve this and I think I already have a new plan but for now I'm turning my attention to the door cards. We'll get there in the end!

• Like 1