Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Right then better start my '77 S1 project... - Page 22 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Right then better start my '77 S1 project...

Good job you weren't overhauling the brakes

I think a couple of wheels removed may have been a clue.

There again probably my wife would have tried to drive off anyway!

She's not very aware with cars and it is a good job she does not read this forum otherwise my life would not be worth living.

I don't know why, but I just a slight worry about the Beans 5-speed gearbox on the back of that :-)  It would be interesting to see if you could get out of the drive way before you shred a gear.

But seriously, for me the issue is whether the engine would sit low enough.  I think it is a crying shame to have to put a bulge on the bonnet.

But seriously, for me the issue is whether the engine would sit low enough. I think it is a crying shame to have to put a bulge on the bonnet.

I'd leave the bonnet off and just sit there in awe for all its Italian style and beauty. Now that would seriously give credence to my avatar, a real "Italian Job"!

Just finished most of the brushing of the aluminium trim and I'm loving it, much better than the highly polished look with loads of deep scratches on them which is how they were. I've also done the fuel cover caps just to keep the continuity. Wheel dust caps on, wanted to add the new decal but that still hasn't arrived, should be here by next week. Tomorrow? Got a nice treat coming...

20150228_131754_zpsc10hhfcg.jpg

20150228_131145_zpsqnolpyjs.jpg

20150228_134421_zps56kxwixx.jpg

20150228_134405_zpsogdw8uke.jpg

20150228_134357_zpsonwnbyu7.jpg

20150228_131128_zpsopzord6n.jpg

20150228_131900_zpskhzucnlb.jpg

I hasten to add, all those piece are hand finished by my very own fingers, no mechanical input at all, just hours of brushing. To quote a famous liverpudlian "I've got blisters on my fingers!"

• Like 2

Nope, "no mechanical input at all" see above. I used a sanding block, took the trim off of the car by the way, 120 grit paper to take out the deep scratches and gloss off of the aluminium. Then with a sponge sanding block blended the trim so that the direction of sanding is all in line. Then finally with a fine/medium scotch pad went over the piece again making sure the direction of cut is again in line. It's not that hard to do just time consuming.

Just finished most of the brushing of the aluminium trim and I'm loving it, much better than the highly polished look with loads of deep scratches on them which is how they were. I've also done the fuel cover caps just to keep the continuity. Wheel dust caps on, wanted to add the new decal but that still hasn't arrived, should be here by next week. Tomorrow? Got a nice treat coming...

20150228_131754_zpsc10hhfcg.jpg

20150228_131145_zpsqnolpyjs.jpg

20150228_134421_zps56kxwixx.jpg

20150228_134405_zpsogdw8uke.jpg

20150228_134357_zpsonwnbyu7.jpg

20150228_131128_zpsopzord6n.jpg

20150228_131900_zpskhzucnlb.jpg

I hasten to add, all those piece are hand finished by my very own fingers, no mechanical input at all, just hours of brushing. To quote a famous liverpudlian "I've got blisters on my fingers!"

Coolhand to Sorehand yet again.

Not sure I want to go down that road with the brushed finish but I must admit it is quite impressive and food for thought.

• Like 1

Haha, just saved myself 50 quid! My fuel gauge has been faulty since I've had the car and I've been meaning to fix it. I could have sworn it was a faulty sender unit so I had been ready to purchase a new unit from sjs. Anyway tonight I decided to get the old one out, rather than take the whole fuel tank out I went ahead and cut an access panel in the rear. Cut the hole, and removed the sender and immediately I could see that the float had ceased, so a quick squirt with 3in1 oil, cleaned all the contacts, put it all back and hay presto it all started working again, hopefully now I won't run out off fuel again!

20150304_184332_zpsujptgwob.jpg

20150304_183305_zpsv8jzffud.jpg

20150304_183248_zpshmcrlasq.jpg

20150304_184501_zpsi1jjyvgb.jpg

20150304_184558_zpsoo2nwu9e.jpg

• Like 2

Haha, just saved myself 50 quid! My fuel gauge has been faulty since I've had the car and I've been meaning to fix it. I could have sworn it was a faulty sender unit so I had been ready to purchase a new unit from sjs. Anyway tonight I decided to get the old one out, rather than take the whole fuel tank out I went ahead and cut an access panel in the rear. Cut the hole, and removed the sender and immediately I could see that the float had ceased, so a quick squirt with 3in1 oil, cleaned all the contacts, put it all back and hay presto it all started working again, hopefully now I won't run out off fuel again!

20150304_184332_zpsujptgwob.jpg

20150304_183305_zpsv8jzffud.jpg

20150304_183248_zpshmcrlasq.jpg

20150304_184501_zpsi1jjyvgb.jpg

20150304_184558_zpsoo2nwu9e.jpg

I just love the way you tackle a problem.

Locate it and cut a hole! Brilliant. It reminds me of the adjustment of the rear handbrake way back in this thread.

Keep it up.

• Like 1

Haha, no way I was going to turn this job into a half a day epic tank removal! I'm all for making jobs easier, if that means a little bit of gentle persuasion then so be it. Job took less than 20 minutes. 

I've lost count of the number of times I've had what I thought was a great idea for a car or bike and then discovered that someone else has already built it.  Does anyone else suffer from this?

The plan for my Elite was to lower it (although somewhat more subtly than yours!), fit slightly bigger wheels and keep the rest looking stock, but upgrade the mechanicals for reliability and parts availablility.

I'd even thought about tyre walls, although I was thinking red would look cool.

Now you've built this I feel cheated, damn you Charlie.... ;-)

The purists may be uncomfortable but I seriously think this thing is stunning.

YOu know what they say? Just do it! No good hanging around, someone else will beat you too it! 

The car has sat under a cover since I bought it late last year, usual story of too many projects etc...

Things are on the move now though, I'm picking up an Excel chassis this weekend...

• Like 1