Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Right then better start my '77 S1 project... - Page 37 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Right then better start my '77 S1 project...

• Gold FFM

Must be so much more interesting for the mot man when he's looking at something like a lotus. Days after days of rubbish German cars, French stuff and some nice jap stuff - and then along comes a proper thoroughbred..... 

Good result on the popup lights ?

mot ? Must be the cars equivalent to a smear test!!!

Edited by Barrykearley
  • Like 1

Only here once

Cool, Coolhand. MOT passed great.

Love the 'It's too low for the rollers' brake test.

On a serious note the road brake test using a decelleratormeter has to be the most inefficient ever invented. It can mask many brake faults.

Years ago I tested the local Lords vintage Rolls Royce that passed the road brake test only to find later that the front wheel cylinders were seized solid.

• Like 1

And here it is, sneaky preview. Looks flipping ace if you ask me, can't wait to see it in the flesh the black and gold is spot on. Getting ready for Ultimate Stance, a show not to miss.

IMG_5452_zps7jnyjtmm.jpg

No RR thread, the guy just doesn't have time due to work load. We've planned a photoshoot and a feature together for Hayburner magazine (it's a VW thing, in the 'something different' section) after the show  so there's gunna be loads of photos coming. Also I'm hoping the panther will get its feature in RetroCars magazine in the next couple of months, but they seem to drag their feet, can't wait to see it in there, plus you'll get a better idea of my build and how it came about once you read the feature. All good stuff and exciting times, oh and I have a few ideas planned for ultimate stance, should ruffle a few feathers even further. Let's just say, Charlie's taking an early winter break ;-) Buon Viaggio!

He's just pulled it out of the workshop, just sent me this photo. The elite must be arguably one of the coolest retro shapes currently about, possibly the difinitve 70s wedge.

FullSizeRender_zps03xcvdrh.jpg

Edited by CharlieCroker
  • Like 1

Nice.  But to be honest, I'm preferring yours Charlie.

I love the idea that you've started something here. And a well deserved achievement..

I know some people object to customs, but this raises the profile of Elite in the same way that Paris fashion shows influence high street fashion.

Edited by Herc

Herc

Like your thinking but would you wear high fashion - some of which is bonkers until 'toned down' for the general population

Charlie's car is almost the reverse - where a 'general population' product has been made a bit more 'bonkers' lol

That said - hats off a truly amazing effort and result

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Cheers lads, today I had another photoshoot with neil terry a young talented photographer who was simply bowled over by the panther when he saw it, I practically had to drag him away to end the shoot. He's a young guy and is very much intouch with lowered modified cars and drove 2 hours to do the shoot for free just because he loved the car. I'm getting the feeling that in the 'modified' community this car is so different that it has ruffled a few feathers with the old guard. Let's make no mistake here, there's a massive gulf between my elite and the black elite in terms of hours spent, mine is in the 1000 hour mark where as the black elite was modified this week to get it ready for the show, and I have been open and incredibly honest with my posts and photos which makes it very easy to criticise good or bad, plus I have lotus blood running through my viens. But I'm very proud that my elite has inspired another car, and maybe more cars will follow. Those of you that know me, know I hate to blow my own trumpet but the panther has practically single handedly raised the profile of the model to another level whether you like it or not, it's been a story, a never ending narrative which I know many of you have enjoyed the journey, and the story is on going and more to come... 

"Never underrate the English, they're not as stupid as they look." Altabani ;-)

Yes Mike, 

What I could do with a open cheque book and a real garage... 

• Like 1

Herc

Like your thinking but would you wear high fashion - some of which is bonkers until 'toned down' for the general population

Charlie's car is almost the reverse - where a 'general population' product has been made a bit more 'bonkers' lol

That said - hats off a truly amazing effort and result

Yes, it's the reverse in that sense, but its something that can energize the interest in something, in the way that catwalk fashion can, however impractical.

• Like 1

I have stated before that I am not a fan of slammed cars, I just don't see the point.

Surely at different ride heights the steering geometry would be compromised leading to excess tyre wear and handling problems.

Every picture I see of your car Luke is shown in the slammed position.

Please enlighten me on a couple of points. Is it still possible to run the car at standard height or higher? and being air ride is the ride quality better or worse at standard height if this is possible?

I know little or nothing of air ride suspension systems only what I have seen on some US TV shows. I would expect that the best ones are expensive. What sort of cost are we talking about for an Elite?

I really have no intention of converting to air ride but I would like the background knowledge.

Well basically it is a complete custom build, there's simply no kit available off the shelf that you can bolt on. Basically there are all shapes and sizes of airbag on the market so it's entirely up to the builder to choose the best way for him/her. Bare in mind I know both airride esprit owners and they have been very helpful (particularly Rob) in the advising how they approached the problem and my VW days I installed aurride on a 67 bug I used to own which is close to the same process. However the S1 chassis is different at the rear to the esprit and you have to build your own bag mounts,  the aim is to replace the spring with a bag, the bag in effect becomes the spring. I opted for a bag over strut , (same as the esprit guys) at the front, it's basically a bag with a hole in the middle for the strut to go through. Sounds easy but there's a hell of a lot of massaging needed to get the bag in. The rear is  much simpler as there's more space to work with. The black elite you see above has been slammed on coilovers, I haven't seen the car up close and personal but from what I can see he has pratically removed the srping to get it that low! I hasten to add that car is a quick slam job to get it into the show and I believe it can't actually drive as it scrapes all over the place. The beauty of air ride is you get the touch down effect for a show but you can actually drive it tge5re and back. I have about 4" of travel in my bag   so I run low but could run a touch higher. This is ride height. ..

20150327_120433_zps6dbjgisu.jpg

It's not for the faint hearted, the ride would be considered hard to some but I'm used to airride and I love it. Oh and I forgot to mention, you still have a damper, so that takes up any shock. I don't expect any hardcore originalphile to understand but I love lotus as much as anyone on here, just my vision as I see it, you're either on board with me or not. 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Charlie. I still think it looks stunning and only show's half the effort that has gone into it. Again, well done and I cant wait to see Panther two.

Just a pity I don't still have some photos of cars I did back in the sixties. People would now cringe at what I did them with Morris 1,000's and Riley 1.5's, oh and a Mini pick up, all long before it came popular with off the shelf kits. The biggest was a MK3 Cortina with a Jag back end, cut, hacked, blown wings, the full works.

But those who liked pristine clean cut original cars hated mt creations. All I could say was tough, it's my car and as long  as legal I can do what I like.

Long live the panther. 

• Like 1

I have stated before that I am not a fan of slammed cars, I just don't see the point.

Surely at different ride heights the steering geometry would be compromised leading to excess tyre wear and handling problems.

Every picture I see of your car Luke is shown in the slammed position.

Please enlighten me

it's all about the look... It's a custom car thing - reimagening (sic)

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Anything that musters interest in older cars from a wider audience has got to be a good thing.

would be a pretty crappy show if it was just VW polos, golfs and old clios - a lotus brings a whole new level of class and performance. 

Slam a roller next time Luke - and cut the bloody roof down - just a few inches!!!

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

If it gets other people looking at Lotus as well, it's a good thing.

It's the squashed look that bugs me a bit when it is all lowered. Just doesn't 'look' right.

I have seen the work in Charlie's and it really is nicely done.

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)