Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Right then better start my '77 S1 project... - Page 40 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Right then better start my '77 S1 project...

Much younger demographic this magazine has, so inturn passing the car onto a new generation, all good fun. Keep an eye out on my thread in the coming weeks, got lots of photo updates pending on my custom dash and others. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, CharlieCroker said:

Much younger demographic this magazine has, so inturn passing the car onto a new generation, all good fun. Keep an eye out on my thread in the coming weeks, got lots of photo updates pending on my custom dash and others. 

Got my copy today to add a bit of support :)

• Like 1

WANT

1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

s-l200.jpg

Look at thin eBay
lotus eclat project, (no eAlreadye)

Would pair up nicely

Sent from my iPhone

WANT. However ain't got the time or money to take on a new project but that would be a sweet sweet car to pair up nicely. Already got a name for it, can you guess it? The Black Panther!

• Gold FFM
7 hours ago, CharlieCroker said:

On another note, just had word that The Panther has just picked up a sweet little award, Retro Rides (forum) car of the year 2015. Have to say I am totally amazed considering the level of competition some amazing cars shortlisted. Great news for us all, Lotus and the Elite reaching dizzy heights I had never thought possible. 

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/185375/car-year-2015

What's next for this car, my goal? A TV appearance. All the best, Charlie ;-) 

Well done Charlie, all that hard graft is paying off and well deserved. What a boost for Lotus and the Elite in particular.

• Like 1

Just been posted on instagram. I have to say I am totally amazed. I can remember sitting at my computer 2 years ago with a vision and a photoshop image in front of me and saying to myself 'bloody hell that looks good' but with the amount of work needed to turn it into something resembling that picture I had no idea. It's been incredibly hard work, making mistakes along the way but working my way through them, never giving in at times when funds have been non existent and motivation tested to the very limit. I've made some great friends,  met like minded people along the way and been to some brilliant shows with other incredible cars with fantastic owners. All in all it's been an incredible journey that I hope carries on, I know I will try everything in my powers to get to the international show at Brooklands and look forward to meeting some of you from here who have been so supportive and encouraging. Feels a bit like an acceptance speech but it certainly is not, just a massive thank you for all the help and advice along a very long and winding road no matter how small or insignificant it may have been.

"He's done it Mr Bridger, he's done it!"

All the best 

Charlie ;-)

Screenshot_2016-02-07-17-26-17_zpse9o8wu

• Like 2

Top work Luke, inspiring stuff for sure. Am without power in the workshop for a few months as we are building some accommodation in the garden for the Mother-in-law. Once installed, she will provide ALL the inspiration I need to escape to the shed!!

Cheers

• Like 1

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

So after weeks and weeks of waiting my new dash panel has arrived and looks good to go, I've already started to place the switches and dials. What I intend to do is prefit the air paddles and gauges, get it roughly set into the car and try everything before I go ahead and install the panel permanently. Before final installation however it'll be veneered in real wood or formica which I have sourced a very close match to the original wood effect. The switch labels will be applied once everything works and I'm sure everything is in the right place. Getting ready for summer and the show season. 

20160211_110127_zpshge2gj3r.jpg

20160211_110147_zps6zjfnvls.jpg

The photo below shows all the gubbins that make the air paddles and gauges work. Not easy to get your head around at first thoughts but makes perfect sense after trial fitting once or twice.

20160211_110219_zpsow9fb4kf.jpg

• Like 2

Ok so getting closer, for the first time I have my dials in and plumbed in, however I still have some work tp do on the rear bags before we have a video of uppy downy, so that will have to wait. But very very close to air management control and going all low rider at the touch of a switch, just how cool is that! 

20160211_153028_zpstlz1tuew.jpg

Black line in from tank, red line out to bags.

20160211_153000_zps1fm8rzhv.jpg

Cheers, Charlie ;-) 

Edited by CharlieCroker

• Gold FFM

Tut Tut Charlie. I hope you clean up the back of that clock before final install. LOL. More brilliant work as usual.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just started a week off so some progress photos of my dash panel which is coming along nicely. Thought I'd treat myself to some lovely walnut veneer vs anything artificial, so I'm currently working the panel to achieve a seemless finish. Got hold of 4 sheets of veneer for a fiver of the bay and have contact glued this in place. Next step is to cut out the holes for the various switches which I'll do once the wood is sealed with satin varnish. Have a look see, starting to come together. 

20160313_071543_zpsjy7unieb.jpg

20160313_071859_zpsq8z87l5s.jpg

20160313_072429_zpsiapyggnd.jpg

Great work as ever Sir.

Just curious as to why seal before cutting the holes?  Also, would it be sensible to mould the panel into the correct shape before varnishing?

Wouldn't want the varnish to crack or anything when bending the metal. Also curious as to how you are planning to refix the panel - can you reuse the original top bracket (secured through switch holes) or have you something different in mind.

Keep it up

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Could have done it either way but I didn't want to get dirt into the wood whilst handling the piece, so get a seal on it immediately. Regarding the bend so that the varnish won't crack when bending, 30 seconds in the oven before hand, just enough to soften the paint, seeing as the bends are very light shouldn't cause to much concern, where there's a will and all that...

The brackets I will make up mysels and weld them on the back, cold wet rag on the front to stop burn through, ha, giving all my bloody secrets away here! 

I've also paneled and covered the rear boot area which is looking flippin gorg, gone for a brown velvety 70s diamond pattern, will post up a few photos this week, happy Sunday, Charlie ;-) 

Things going really well today, just been cutting a few holes out, the veneer has properly laid down flat and it's been easy to cut through with a sharp blade. I think I'm going to tone it down a shade to better match the original, not looking for a perfect match just close. 

20160313_145726_zpsdfcjevbr.jpg

And here it is gentleman in all its glory. Over the moon with how it came out, slightly lighter in colour than the original but looks factory to me. Just have to install it now.

20160314_124028_zpsoezt0wsl.jpg

20160314_123955_zpscb7vzokm.jpg

• Like 2

Looks fantasic B-),  what about the heater controls have you ditched the heater matrix and gone electric. ? or just relocated them ?  

Colour match looks fine, you will never get a perfect colour match unless you use the old veneer anyway. the old lotus one looks like a perfect colour 

match to my high gloss dark laminate flooring :P

• Like 1

A