Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Right then better start my '77 S1 project... - Page 7 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Right then better start my '77 S1 project...

20140526_162419_zps85af5fb7.jpg

You replace the existing spring and shock with an air shock. Basically the shock acts as both spring and damper, it's a bloody firm ride though, not for the faint hearted, bone shaker. However once set correctly the car literally floats on air, an aquired taste lets say.

You can power them with a compressor and air tank but I am going to set a desired height and stick with that so a hand floor or footpump will work. This is what they look like.

Probably the limiting factor is ground-clearance for the front spoiler, mine's slightly shorter but still has scrape marks. They can't be removed either as they're needed to feed air into the radiator as well as the usual use.

Got the beast out of the garage for the first time in 3 months, who wants to see how low it is? Not for the faint hearted, the thing is incredible low at it's lowest setting i.e. when parked, should be renamed 'low-tus', haha.

Haha, thought it might russle a few feathers! That's with absolutely no air in the system, to drive it safely it will be raised by at least a few inches. Honestly the car is all about stance and retro appeal, I don't expect a stalwart lotus enthusiasts to appriciate it, it's aim strickly at the retro modified scene, however I do feel obliged to show it to you guys, love it or hate I'm having a ball working on it and for me that's what is is about. Charlie;-)

Cheers Vin, well it is, but a lot of work. Quite honestly I made the decision and went with it, it is now a custom retro modified and as long as it is in my possession will stay that way and if I do sell it it will go into the retro modified scene. Take it or leave it, it's exactly what I want and I'm over the moon with the way it is progressing. Stock wheels are going, I have those Rotas in the photoshop image on order, hope to get them soon.

I think it looks really cool. it would be dull to keep them all original... not sure mine is since the drive train was replaced by lotus, the engine has been changed, the gearbox is new and the chassis has been replaced. anything that reimagines these cars is goo din my book.

• Like 1

Thanks Mike, appreciate your comments, by what I can tell this is the only elite on the planet on airshocks, so that makes it unique if nothing else. The guys on the retrorides forum are having palpitations the comments there are very encouraging and most of seem to love it.

Wheels came today so just been in the garage for a quick test fit, look amazing, very happy with them.

20140606_192527_zps9136108e.jpg[br][br]20140606_190941_zpsa1b3c150.jpg[br][br]I hope to get tyres in the next week or two then engine will go back in and the stance will be complete. Once that is established the paint needs attention but a few tests I have made show there is more than enough life in in it yet so no respray will be needed. "He's done it Mr Bridger, done it!"

The wheels look great. Can you post the spec and make.. Cheers

They are called, Rota 4x114.3 7" front and 8" rears. Offset 0 fronts, 4 rears, cheers Charlie. 

I think the wheels really suit the car and still give it that 70's look :thumbsup:

Cheers Vin, that was the idea, keep it looking as if was a factory upgrade ;-) 

Finally, engine back in, feels like a car again! Just need to reconnect all ancillaries and we have lift off. [br][br]20140614_113300_zps0cff98a7.jpg[br][br]Regarding tyres, camskill have dropped the ball slightly, I ordered 4 new tyres well over a week ago and they still haven't arrived, I'm told they should be here on Monday but nnot holding my breath. Can't really complain though, 4 new tyres delivered for £150, just need to get them fitted. Cheers, Charlie. [br][br]

• Like 1

Evening all. Just a quick update, tyres came today and look great, I'll get these fitted this week, however I'm waiting for lug nuts so can't fully fit the wheels until they arrive. All engine fluids and oils have been ordered and a few new hoses have also arrived, the engine is back in. So not far off except for the exhaust which needs reworking and I expect a few awkward bends and reducers, I'm also pondering having 4 exits instead of 2, not sure yet will have to see how it develops. On the deck photos with wheels, tyres and exhaust tips is the aim before the end of next month. All the best, Charlie;-).

20140613_184803_zpscfe927e8.jpg

20140613_183856_zps1baf1b3a.jpg

Thought I'd upload a couple of photos before the football starts. Just finalised the position of the exhaust tips, I want them swept up and in perfect line with the rear floor pan.

I think you should keep the 2 exhausts .. its looks good without needing to be over the top .. all the attention goes to the stance :)

• Like 1

Vin Taylor

Cheers Vin, I'm undecided, will have to wait and see once the car is sitting on the deck, I can't tell if two look good with the car in the garage although my feeling is yes they will be fine. Bare in mind also my influence in car design and modification which derives from the Barris, Jeffries era and film and tv cars.