Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Headlights - Page 3 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Headlights

2 hours ago, Daveb99 said:

Excellent, I've also just found these, which get slightly better reviews than the Rings it seems:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Osram-Night-Breaker-9005NBP-Headlight/dp/B00AV5XMTU

Bit pricier though.  Do in theory, either of these should be a straight swap?

Mine was straight swap and didn’t take that long when your mate runs a garage business with Ramos and power tools ;)

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 01:16, sieger said:

Short answer is yes, you can adjust the beam height (cog behind headlight)

Long answer is that it’s a wheel off, arch liner off, PITA to do!

If you’re going to do it, consider a bulb upgrade too, as the stock output is dim. 

Good luck!

Got the dealer to adjust the headlights up. In their words, to the point of blinding other drivers and then adjusted down a notch. Much improved visibility at night but yes, the stock bulbs do need an upgrade. 

Based upon my own experience, when the headlights aim is raised to the point of being okay - you’ll faill your MOT!  

When re-alligned to pass the Ministry test, they’re pretty hopeless.  You can’t see much on dark, damp, roads...

Edited by LotusPilot

My new bulbs arrived yesterday, so whilst I'm not expecting a dramatic improvement, it would be nice if I don't lose too much skin off my knuckles fitting them...

Can anyone give me some pointers - do I need to remove each front wheel to get proper access?

IMG_28.jpg

IMG_992.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Drove in the dark last night cross country and the HID's are pretty good as low beam. Unsure what type GFW used but they are at least twice as good as originals and a notably whiter light . Admittedly they don't match modern Mercedes/BMW etc but are a notable improvement over the original candles. The high beam is a poor yellow light in comparison. What bulb type are they as want to upgrade them now.

Martin S

1 hour ago, MARTIN_S said:

Drove in the dark last night cross country and the HID's are pretty good as low beam. Unsure what type GFW used but they are at least twice as good as originals and a notably whiter light . Admittedly they don't match modern Mercedes/BMW etc but are a notable improvement over the original candles. The high beam is a poor yellow light in comparison. What bulb type are they as want to upgrade them now.

Martin S

Which ones did you go for Martin?

1 hour ago, MARTIN_S said:

Martin S

What HID kit did you go for? Mine are terrible as Dave said!

Another downside of aftermarket HIDS is they generate an awful lot of electrical interference - you can't use the radio with them unless you re-route the antenna from under the front clam, for example.

Can you tell I'm not a fan? ;)

Edited by Hangar 111

further back in this post this is what I got -http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301364894921 and spotted back there,that the high beam are H9B 12V 65W so will track down an upgrade for them.

My radio also still works fine (well as fine as any original Lotus fitted radio)?!

Martin S

Edited by MARTIN_S

• 2 months later...

Just a small update on bulbs, I fitted these - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED HB3 halogen headlamp bulb 9005NBU-HCB +110% more light and +20% whiter light in double box

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FQ8ANVC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and they are still pretty crap.

Anyone know of a LED plug and play option?

You don't have to remove the weels for changing bulbs or using HID kits, but surely makes it a bit easier.

For any modification (HB3A to HB3 bulbs) or HID kits you always have to cut the rubber cap.

I first changed my bulbs to HB3/9005 Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited: like said before: it's not worth for our cars, still a crappy light

Currently I use a mid-price Chinese HB3/9005 HID kit, definitly a brighter  light and better distance, no interferences or any other problem, worth the price but i'm still not totally satisfied:

I now ordered a very high qualtity HB3/9005 LED kit (Opt-7 Flux-Beam), but found no time to install it: http://www.opt-7.com/fluxbeam-led-headlight/

Like HID kits all LED kits are plug and play, but LEDs start immidiately, while HIDs need some seconds to reach full brightness and the right color. And LEDs have a build-in ballast or a very small ballast. 

Hi Peter,

I'll be very interested to see how you get on with that Opt7 kit. With all these LED retrofit options in the OEM projector it's really down to the detail of the "filament emulation" as it were. If it doesn't line up at the right focal point, the beam pattern (which is less than awesome by default) can get noticeably degraded.

With baited breath* and crossed fingers...

*it's OK, I'm not really holding my breath, take your time :lol:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Thanks for the write up Peter. Sorry it's taken me so many months to log into the forums. This year hasn't been the smoothest.

Looks like the HID is better for real world driving visibility, out at distance. A bit hard to compare the wet vs dry tarmac. Dry kicks back so much more light than wet.

Cheers

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...