Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Time to start putting my s2 (79070782g) back together! - Page 8 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Time to start putting my s2 (79070782g) back together!

58 minutes ago, vintaylor said:

Has anyone else found the lower link bush washer near impossible to fit?  is there a hack to get everything to line up in the housing before inserting the bolt?

Getting the last washer in and having it line up is near impossible.

IMG_2299.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

Hi Vin - looks like your lower wishbone bushes are too big between the mounts ?  Do you have any photos of the links prior to re-bushing them ?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Mine were very fiddly to fit. It's quite tight. I used a bolt the same diameter going in from the front to hold it all in place then knocked the footwell bolt through when all was lined up which taps out the alignment bolt. Having said that your bush looks much bigger than mine unless yours are the earlier lower links without the 'modification' which require a different bush?

Pete 

IMG20220705180258.jpg

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

23 minutes ago, jonroberts said:

Hi Vin - looks like your lower wishbone bushes are too big between the mounts ?  Do you have any photos of the links prior to re-bushing them ?

Hi Jon,

Mine are the later version with the tube welded in.  Here a pic before fitting the bushes.  To be honest, Steve from SJ said that they could be fitted by hand, but I actually took them to a local engineer who has to press fit them in

I'm thinking I should use thinner washers as I'm going to damage the bushes trying to fit them in .. there's no way I can get the washers in without hammering them in 

image1 (2).jpeg

image0 (4).jpeg

Vin Taylor

Might be a stupid question, but should the pivot bushes have washers either side within the chassis housing or should they be mounted on the outside ?

The kit comes with 4 washers.  

spacer.png

Vin Taylor

I had exactly this with my Excel - I trimmed a bit off the centre spacer tube in the lathe.  Fitted fine then.  Try fitting just the centre spacer tube and washers without the poly bushes/arm to see if you have the same problem.

Pete

• Like 1

Likely @JimmytheTurbo is correct on cooling the bearing in terms of fit but I had mine in the freezer beforehand nonetheless, happy to think the casting's heat wouldn't melt the grease. It was into the barbeque grille to heat the casting up to the upper 200's Fahrenheit, after which the axle/bearing simply droped into place. My choice of grease was a standard wheel bearing spec from Castrol. Absent heat from braking (thanks to the inboard brakes) the grease will not be unduly taxed.

Cheers

Can anyone confirm whether I have the correct hub seals.  I have measured them out as follows:

Seal 1: inner diameter: 53mm , outer diameter: 68mm
Seal 2: inner diameter 42mm, outer diameter 57mm

spacer.png

Vin Taylor

Will soon be tackling the remaining front suspension installation.

Is it recommended to fit the arb in before fitting the springs and dampers?  I've read that as a rolling chassis there isn't a lot of weight to help compress things, so I am assuming the arb will help keep in the lower suspension arm in place and prevent it from hitting the end of the housing on the chassis.

Vin Taylor

• 2 weeks later...