Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Hello from Ohio, USA. 88 Esprit Turbo - Introductions - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Hello from Ohio, USA. 88 Esprit Turbo

scooterbugg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the friendly welcome. I'm sure I'll be using the info on here a great deal. I've wanted a Stevens Esprit since they released in 1988. I finally found one in the right condition at the right price.

Welcome, Dano!

I am also in Ohio -- Cleveland to be exact.   And have a few Esprits.   Whereabouts are you?

Cheers,

Tony K.

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

• Gold FFM

Welcome to TLF Dano. :welcome:

As Buddsy said, post up some pictures. We're suckers for pictures.

Any questions or issues with using the forums, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Dano,

Is your Esprit the one that was at the Lamborghini dealer in Marysville?   I was very tempted by that car!

And with regards to Gavin and Derik:

Hi Dano!

One more for the Car Party me thinks Tony.

Welcome to the fun!
I'm in Dublin, and there's another Esprit owner in Hilliard here on TLF.
A road trip to Tony K's would be awesome with a convoy of Esprits!
Derik

As an Esprit owner in Ohio on TLF, you are automatically and cordially invited to our annual Car Party, which will be July 12th this year (it's always the second Saturday in July).  

Here's a link to a couple of previous years:

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/58467-invite-to-all-tlf-members-tony-k-car-party-july-13-2013/

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/52407-photos-from-the-2012-tony-k-car-party/

We hope you can attend;  either way, hope to see you at a meet some time!

- Tony

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Ok guys, sorry for the short replies so far. I was swamped a couple of weeks ago and out of the country last. I'm back from a much deserved vacation, and shell shocked. At 9 am this morning I was in Akumal, Mexico and it was already a sweaty 82 degrees. I landed in Ohio tonight to a crummy 36 and snow. But Mexico was awesome as always.......

@ Tony K: I'm not sure if this car came from Nelson's recently (Lamborghini dealer in Marysville) but they sold it a few years back. The guy I bought it from was a short term owner. I think he owned it for 5-6 months. He thought he would be able to sort it out quickly but admitted it was beyond his motivation and he just wanted out. It's a nice car with no damage history, it was a 4 figure (barely) price tag, and I have wanted a Lotus for 30 years. It's nice enough that I love it, and not so nice that I'll get sick to my stomach with every scratch. I will post more picks this week as the weather clears. And I would friggin love to drive it up to the Car Party.

Some history: 30 years ago I had a summer job as a busboy at Brookside Country Club in Columbus ( really Worthington) Ohio. A coworker named Bruce (last name escapes me, and sorry for so many parentheses) gave me a ride to work one day. He picked me up in a yellow S1. I was 16 years old. It was an amazing car, I was a car fanatic and knew exactly what it was, he was somewhat surprised. He also had an Austin Mini, and I believe his dad had a couple of Jags. I think they lived in a neighborhood known as "the Knolls". Anyhow, thanks to him I really caught the fever. I wonder if he's still around? Maybe ever on here? Anyhow.....

I have a strong mechanical background, was a GM tech for some time, and I have a good amount of engine and transmission repair experience. I currently work for Honda of America Manufacturing (19+years) and have experience with all kinds of manufacturing technologies- some crude, and some quite technical. I am hoping that with the help of TLF members and online resources I will soon have a highly functioning Esprit. I know there is a lot of experience on this forum. Is there a comprehensive checklist for my car? I have checked compression and leak down, all ok. Cam belt looked decent enough for me to be confident enough to run the car for a test drive. I need to evaluate and probably just replace cam belt to be sure, but will check my stack of receipts first. Car idles low cold and high warm, previous owner admitted to turning every screw on whatever. Valve clearances are next on the list as they are somewhat noisy, then after the basics I want to verify fuel management settings, etc. I have read something about transmission input shafts seizing in cranks, although that might be the V8's? Can't remember for certain. Thanks again for the warm welcome, looking forward to meeting some of you guys in person.

Dano,

Is your Esprit the one that was at the Lamborghini dealer in Marysville? I was very tempted by that

Tony, I did some digging in my paperwork. This car sold at Nelson's on Dec 27, 2012 for $16,000 to a local guy. I drive by there every day for work and can see most of the cars in their showroom. I don't recall seeing this one as I always stop and look when they get one in stock.

Edited by scooterbugg

Since you are a GM tech, I'm surprised you didn't go with an 89+ Esprit.  Those models have the GM MP4 electronic injection and distributorless ignition system, with almost all GM sensors, very easy to work on!

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Yes -- that's the one!

Glad to see it has landed in good hands!

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE