Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
ice blue eclat excel - Page 3 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

ice blue eclat excel

Dunc

My thoughts would be because you cannot visually see what is going on.  You are assuming that by tightening the knob on top you are incrementally adjusting the pressure... might not be that accurate

The link underneath is what I used for the fuel injection I built but obviously the guage might be a bit too wide ranging to be accurate for a low pressure set-up

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silver-Universal-Car-Adjustable-140PSI-Fuel-Pressure-Regulator-with-Gauge-HOT-UK-/111405514572?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19f0493f4c

Or just buy a pre-set regulator and jobs a good-un

Edit: Just looked at the Malpassi/filter king... would seem a better option to me.

Edited by Fueltheburn

Thanks Keiran- I had looked at that one and thought it looked quite trick, but if it is designed for fuel injection pressures, I wondered about its accuracy in the bottom 3% of its usable range.

Ideally I want 3.5 - 4 PSI, so was thinking a carburetor designed item would be better. The filterking is motorsport proven, so I think I probably have my answer, although one of the dial on the top cheapies would be easier to fit and conceal.

Duncan,

Now Teds seen the car its only a matter of time, if you need a roof over your head we now have a spare room, 

John

PS do you like hospital food, any favorite flowers. When you 'come out ' , bring her over.

• Like 1

The cover story is that he is talking about his own Lotus and Lotus track days....

He has a Blue evora, two yellow elites and his own track playmat.

• 4 weeks later...

Large bowl filtering arrived on Saturday, but the bung for the gauge port is missing - I suspect the previous user left the gauge in all the time which some people do, then miss laid the bung. Ordered a new one (port bung) so should have it fitted up fairly soon.

Quite looking forward to having this one ready to go on the button. I've not been using it as I'm uncomfortable with the concept of a petrol waterfall from the front carb

• 4 months later...

I'm happier with a voltmeter or a spanner than with trimming work, but I'm quite pleased with this:post-9379-0-34491900-1429884916.jpg

To this:

post-9379-0-17230800-1429884955.jpg

I don't think fulchers will be admiring it, but Im happy with it as an amateur repair.

Dunc

It'll be the yellow one Mot permitting. Need to fix the windscreen washers then book it in.

I fitted the filter king and pressure regulator today. The car ran great on the way over, but spluttered and coughed all the way back, so something is not right. I was unable to set it properly as the gauge I bought from ebay is the wrong size, so the regulator just got fitted as it was and tested for leaks then driven back spluttering and coughing. I'll troubleshoot it when I have a proper gauge.

• 1 month later...

Visited this one on Sunday evening and checked the fuel pressure and the filter king was spot on at 3psi, so thats not the cuase of my problem.

I suspect it is running like dog poop on the throttle because I unplugged the fuel pump and allowed the car to run until it emptied its carb bowls - this has probably dropped some crud down into the main jets.

Its lovely and smooth on idle, but when you press the throttle it splutters. Will pop the tops off the carbs to investigate hen time allows.

• 1 month later...

I whipped the jets out of the carbs, and took the distributor cap off, and didn't really find much wrong other than a bit of a fluff in a jet.

I'd allowed the tank to go low whilst installing the malpassi filterking regulator in the boot, and I took it to the fuel station and gave it 40 quid of unleaded - then took it for a drive, and it seemed much better - still the occasional splutter under load, but a million times better than it was.

I did 10-15 miles and it drove okay - fan fail light has come on as one of the cheap cooling fans I bought seems to have seized/failed, but it seems happy with the one fan spinning and keeps a constant temperature.

It might be going out on loan to a fellow TLF member for a bit, so I took some photos of it. I realised I hadn't put any interior pics up in this thread part from some close ups, so here they are.

I still have a "to do" list for this car, but she's not a bad old thing to be honest. With a further brake service (its been sitting), some body/paint and probably a headlining I think it would be one of the nicest narrow body excels around, and those are getting very, very rare.

post-9379-0-34777600-1439159628.jpg

post-9379-0-07079300-1439159668.jpg

post-9379-0-97605100-1439159703.jpg

post-9379-0-48530700-1439159754.jpg

post-9379-0-79035000-1439159819.jpg

• Like 2

I don't think this one is adjustable (if it is - I haven't found how to adjust it...)

One of the things I have noticed with this one is that with the standard size large steering wheel, getting in and out seems different. every other eclat I have had has had a non standard steering wheel.

despite driving okay the other day, I noticed that the brake pedal didn't feel that inspiring, so I had a look at the front calipers tonight and sure enough, the caliper slides had seized with lack of use.

20 mins work to free them and lube them and I changed the front wheel so that she now has her 4 best alloys on all corners with matching tyres. (previous owner has had 4 of the 5 wheels refurbed...?!? - who does that??)

I didn't have time for a test drive, but the pedal instantly felt better when I moved it back into the garage (it takes a few shunts forwards and backwards).

20 mins work to free them and lube them and I changed the front wheel so that she now has her 4 best alloys on all corners with matching tyres. (previous owner has had 4 of the 5 wheels refurbed...?!? - who does that??)

erm... me! I figured that the 2nd hand wheel slung under the back of my elite would not fair too well so haven't bothered getting it done. the eclat has the wheel in the boot though?

Ha....!

Some éclats do....

Series 1 has it inboard, series two has it under slung and éclat excel went back to being in board. So yes, on this one the spare is tucked away from the road grime

• 2 weeks later...