Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 85 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

This thread has persuaded me to go with re-webbing my original belt reels, rather than replacing. Thanks for it.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
On 07/07/2023 at 14:17, madmax said:

Absolutely - FDTS are an amazing old school company and their customer service I've experienced is second to none - so refreshing these days.

When I've spoken to them, a very knowledgeable lady often answers the phone - she's called Sue TAYLOR and I believe she's the MD.

Great products and great service - unbelievable to be honest!

Totally agree, one of the few businesses in the classic car world who supply great quality products at a reasonable price and know everything about seat belts. 

On 07/07/2023 at 17:35, drdoom said:

This thread has persuaded me to go with re-webbing my original belt reels, rather than replacing. Thanks for it.

I wrote both my blogs to help pass on knowledge and save time and money. Glad its been of use.

I am now on to my next problem. The new high torque starter I bought some years ago is making a screeching noise. The car has done only about 1500 miles since a total restoration. Its hasn’t had many starts! I am hoping it has not destroyed the flywheel teeth. The mesh of this starter is completely wrong for the car. Once again supplied by a well known supplier and I know of at least one other owner who fitted this and his flywheel was destroyed! I am told all the damaged occurs on the same tooth where the starter engages because the engine always stops in the same place due to the compression stroke.
I have ordered a WASP high torque starter from Lotusbits, as I know it works correctly. If my flywheel has been destroyed by this unfit for purpose part I will not be happy.
I have said before almost lots of the recent issues I have had with both the Esprits have been from substandard new parts. I am slowly getting this car to the same standard as my Turbo. 
Recently, the new ignition switch I fitted disabled my cooling fans which overheated the coolant and caused the forward engine hose to split longitudinally exposing the fact it was not reinforced and totally unfit for purpose - as was the ignition switch. If anyone has a purely rubber front hose change it before you have a disaster.
I have Lotusbits making me a 5 ply reinforced silicone replacement. More expensive, but fit for purpose and all part of making the car reliable.

If anyone is going to the Shere hill climb Surrey Hills and wants to have a close up look the car will be on the Bell and Coville stand on 3rd September. Thats if I don’t have to remove the engine to replace the flywheel! 😡😡😡😡😡

• Thanks 1

Reminds me of a friend having an issue with his Westfield - his flywheel ring gear fell off as he started the car to drive 60 miles home to Coventry . We had  a quick discussion and then got to work removing the engine , taking the flywheel off which allowed the ring gear to be removed , put it all back together and then bump started it so he could drive home. Bit easier than an Esprit mind. :)

• Sad 1

On 10/07/2023 at 19:36, Djs44 said:

Reminds me of a friend having an issue with his Westfield - his flywheel ring gear fell off as he started the car to drive 60 miles home to Coventry . We had  a quick discussion and then got to work removing the engine , taking the flywheel off which allowed the ring gear to be removed , put it all back together and then bump started it so he could drive home. Bit easier than an Esprit mind. :)

Don’t fancy doing that!😀😀😀😀

Cheapest job yet was fixing the choke. Bought a brake cable from the local bicycle shop and a ferrule. All working nicely now. 
oil change needed just incase of fuel in the oil. Hopefully I can enjoy driving it for a bit now! 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...