Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Vacuum pump... - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Vacuum pump...

qwerty123

Hi guys, just wondering, I have removed my ebpv and plugged the hose but the jacking capsule is still in place. can it be removed without affecting anything else?

Also, my vacuum pump is apparently playing up, I suspect I will need a new one but are they fixable?

Do they only control the cabin hot/cold vents in the front (other than the emissions rubbish) or can it be removed. It's in a race car so not essential to have cabin heating (although I would prefer to keep it frankly)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The throttle jack actuator can be removed. With your EBPV actuator removed too this means the vacuum pump only controls part of the HVAC system. There are two actuators that need the vacuum pump; the fresh air / recirculation flap and the mode flap that directs the air to the face vents or through the heater matrix.

Edited by sailorbob

Sorry Qwerty123, but I can't remember what spec your car is...

Or if your car has the GM Powermaster III ABS system or a normal manual master cylinder, with or without vacuum booster...  But if you have the non ABS system with vacuum boost, then your vacuum pump also provides vacuum for the brakes.  The GM ABS unit does not use vacuum for the brakes.  The later Kelsey Hayes for the GT3 and V8 does use a vacuum booster and require a source of vacuum (electric pump on the GT3 and plenum sourced on the V8).

The mechanical vacuum pump on the pre-power steering cars is pretty cheap to replace.  In the States we buy the NAPA 64-1006 part (it fits many FORD trucks, gas and diesel from the late 80's and early 90's).

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Thanks for the replies so far, it's a 94 S4, with the rubbish abs, not KH...

Geoff put his finger over the outlet (?) and it kind of cycled on/off I seem to remember. He said it was fubar'd. I wonder if I can adjust it or it needs binning.

Edited by qwerty123

Hi Qwerty,

It's a bit of a long shot but is your name Dom by any chance?

The vacuum pump can be fixed in a few minutes as yours appears to be working and just won't shut off. Prize off the top of the vacuum pump, taking care that there are some thin wires underneath the cover you are taking off. Once you have done this, under the cover where the vacuum port is located should be a pressure switch with a little grub screw. Turn this clockwise I think half a turn and try this on your car. You can connect the vacuum pump with lid off I think to keep adjusting screw. Once the pump cycles off and works again when it needs to then you have fixed it!

It's been about 10 years since I last stripped one down so the instructions are a little sketchy.

I hope this helps

David Walters

Dave, it was probably Donnington when we last met, ages back. The car is indeed a racer but a bit redundant at the mo, annoyingly.

I'm supposed to be racing in the RAF MSA series (all 3 races!) and bolstering it with the Aston Owners Club Intermarque and maybe a few other invited. So much for that, missed one RAF and several Intermarque meets already, haven't seen the business end of a racetrack since last year...

Nick, I've just thought, my exhaust at the turbo join is leaking a bit of gas, this may not help much.