Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Oil cooler problems - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Oil cooler problems

Rich H

Hi guys, been a while.

Not long put the Esprit back on the road and I've got a rather large problem...  it's sprung a rather large leak from the OS oil cooler (It's had a damp patch for a while) so I decided to remove it and replace...  but both fittings have snapped off leaving ali stubs in the pipe nuts. 

They are stuck fast and I can't shift them at all.  The lower one rotates but as there is nothing to grip it just spins.  The upper one has a longer stub but the ali nut (that was part of the cooler) is too soft to grip.  Usually I'de just heat them up but obviously this will damage the hoses.

any ideas on how to remove them?  Or a work around?

Thanks

Rich

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Use a Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) solution, it will dissolve the aluminium but not the steel hose fittings. Take all safety precautions. I used a glass jar to put the solution and fittings in. Increasing the strenght of the solution and using warm water will speed up the process.

Esprit Freak

Caustic soda. Yes. Caustic soda. Glass jar 3/4 filled with water. Add caustic soda until it gets hot. Then immerse the union. The aluminium will start to bubble. Leave for a few hours and repeat. Mine took only 2 times. Easy. Really easy.

Hi freek. You beat me to it :)

Sodium hydroxide though not potassium hydroxide

I had the same problem when I tried to remove the cooler. I ended up cutting of the old fittings and replaced them with push-in fittings. They are a real tight fit, I even had to heat the hoses somewhat, so I'm confident they will remain leakfree.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

That will be athe next option if the caustic fails for any reason

Cheers

Rich

Thanks guys - I've ordered all the required bits washers, nuts, etc and will get the caustic to work tonight.

Few hours work (and checmical reactions) plus oil change and I'll be running again.

Cheers

Rich

It's pickling now.

Couldn't get Caustic soda but got oven cleaner instead, it's NaOH.

The ali is merrily fizzing away just suspect it's not quite as concentrated as it could be.

Ah well it'll just take longer.