Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora Mule spotted. - Page 6 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora Mule spotted.

Advantage

Sorry Alex, got to disagree, same with earlier model Lotus, how many people bought them then couldn't afford the service cost, bears the same with fuel consumption, buy for the image then worry about the rest later. hammer in 20k miles per year and just getting that extra 10 mpg may just be enough to swing it for some.

All the more true if Lotus wants to target the upscale market, which they must to achieve profitability.

Whilst lifestyle buyers don't really need more power, they definitively don't want LESS power than their neighbour.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

That reminds me, 20+ years ago I went to pub with a work colleague in his Guigiaro Esprit...

We walked in, got a few looks from the regulars, smug bloke behind bar pipes up...

"Not many miles per gallon in that I bet"  :thumbdown:

"Not as high as the looks of envy per mile." :smoke:

Having an affair with another marque... B-)

Ok, clearly two camps, valid points for a more efficient NA and a more fun S; summarised by Stirling as "no pain no gain".

So, given that the S uses an Eaton supercharger, have Lotus not checked the Eaton website?  And read the opening paragraph:

"Additionally, the supercharger incorporates a bypass system to reduce air handling losses when boost is not required, resulting in better fuel economy."

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Automotive/AutomotiveAftermarket/Superchargers/index.htm

With the caveat that I know no more on the subject than that (do I have to do all the work?) why is that bypass system not linked to the Sport button on the Evora? I assume that with the bypass in operation, little power is absorbed by the charger so greater efficiency right away. And the engine fuelling map then should have two modes: "Sport on" for fun and "Sport off" reducing the superfluous fuel that I gather is fed to keep things cool with a very rich mixture when the foot is hard down. Now to fix the tax problem, a timer system could be added so that the Sport/S mode could be used only say 20% of the time - so initial and ongoing tax just 20% extra. Insurance is a little trickier unless one of those monitor box policies is used - which clearly is unthinkable and would make even owning the car pointless.

So that's the way Lotus - a model for all seasons. Just sort out the details and give your new PR people something to cut their teeth on.  

Edited by mdavies

Now that would be a good thing, maybe an 'economy' mode, for the frugal. All things considered I don't think the S is that bad on economy given the performance, my Elise R wasn't that much better! 

I would much prefer a larger fuel tank to lower power resulting from better mileage.

• Like 2

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Here's a post made on the Lotustalk.com forum by ByJoveByJingle

So I picked up my car at the Dubai Lotus dealer today--they stored it for me while I was away for the summer. I tried to get some info out of them, and this is what they told me:

--Two of their guys are leaving for the Lotus UK gathering on Tuesday (I think)
--At first he said Lotus is being typically close-mouthed about the nature of the meeting and they don't really know what it's about
--But then I mentioned the spy shots of the Evora and here's what he said:

--changed rear spoiler
--update to the front area "around the lights"
--updated interior, with a redesign of the dash . . . but using all the same switches--just moving them around.
--no massive change to the motor

As always, take it with a grain of salt.

We knew about the front end refresh as the pics made no mystery of mods, the spoiler is also an easy sell.

The interior mods are more surprising and a good surprise, as the Evora's ergonomics were always a bit sketchy, a new buttons and switches layout would go a long way and a door panel partial redesign allowing driver to use the switches for windows and mirror without jamming their hand too much would be much appreciated I'm sure. 

As for the no massive change to the motor... Well we'll see about that.

But what other mods would we want to see made to the car? 

I always liked the interior except for the door panels design and the Alpine and Pionner ICE. So I'm hoping for a more factory feel unit so this would be  on my most wanted redesign. I'd also like to see the front lights sligthly updated.

What about you owners?

I like the rear spoiler, it's subtle and rather stylish piece of design so please to don't replace it with a barn door! How about a moveable aero type wing, something like the MP4?  

I don't really have a problem with the interior although a light around the key would be handy, it can be a pain to find in the dark and I still miss my Start Button! The  indicator stalks could have a better return to centre too. I'd like to see more individual choice on interior trim, i.e. red piping doesn't go with everything, please bring back the Ye Olde Custom Shoppe! 

i fear they may need a little more on a restyle than a new headlight cluster and pop up rear wing  !?!

assuming the construction is front and rear clams what would be the restriction on completely restyling the clams, keeping the doors and roof? 

ie a complete restyle in the guise of the exige s3 ? 

Edited by diego

my italian lotus dealer god me that on tuesday lotus will talk about the new esprit (not a new evora) and the evora mule sawn in those pics was a tester car for the esprit engine....

I'm assuming when you say Tuesday you mean Thursday? Was the dealer guessing or is that what they've been told?

Isn't it great how a few, rather poor pictures and a pending dealer meeting can spawn the wildest rumours  :ice:

A longitudinal V8 in an evora mule? My god, that must have been a tight fit.

Isn't it great how a few, rather poor pictures and a pending dealer meeting can spawn the wildest rumours  :ice:

A longitudinal V8 in an evora mule? My god, that must have been a tight fit.

To quote a cardiac surgeon I used to work with, tighter than a Nun's........

That machine could change my cost/effectiveness view, Stirling! Wonder what they are going to do with that mule ...............

Just back from Spa yesterday after a fabulous day in the sun with my car... My only thoughts after the Trackday was that I'd love a V8 after driving a 458! Evora NA stunning through Eau Rouge etc.. Grip and turn in just incredible.

Had a passenger ride in a 405bhp K-Tech Exige V6 S... Feck me... Felt 50% more powerful than my NA V6! Talk about a weapon, it put the GT3's in there place. :-D

I'm praying for a rapid Evora R with 400 bhp lightweight and a simple high quality interior with a few design tweeks/treats! Like a Speciale is to the 458 ;-)

• Like 1

Shame I missed you at Spa, we had 4 Exige V6 Cups there.

I arranged a duel with that Komotec Exige, it was the full '430' kit. I'd like to get in touch with the owner to thank him, if you know him, pm me his details. I looked for him but couldn't find him. Maybe he went home or back to Komotec? ;)

I have some video of our laps together that I will be posting up soon.

But having driven Bibs Evora yesterday I have to say there's really very little room for improvement as a package. It feels really well put together, seriously I was in two brand new Porsches over the weekend and the Evora is right up there, subjectively nicer inside in fact. They seemed to have nailed the whole package right when interest in the car has fizzled out. It's really unjust that they don't sell more and before anyone says they should've got it right first time, have a look at the 991 GT3. Even with all the resources in the world, shit happens with new cars. If a refresh will help generate a bit more interest in the car then so be it but I drove home thinking there's nothing wrong with the product, it simply needs to be promoted and have its capabilities demonstrated. And yes, even after an 1100kg V6 Cup it still felt seriously quick - because it is. Lotus have given it a more cultured, expensive sounding V6 bark, my V6 Cup is harsher, more metallic and more aggressive sounding but we were surprised how different they sound now, considering how much they have in common.

Thanks again by the way Bibs - stunning car in every way. Like everyone else who's driven it, I want one now!

:help:

• Like 1

so how quick was that komtec car with 430bhp JP?

my italian lotus dealer god me that on tuesday lotus will talk about the new esprit (not a new evora) and the evora mule sawn in those pics was a tester car for the esprit engine....

hardly surprising .. my italian cousins always mistake 8 inches for 4 inches.. :harhar: .. che cazzo ! 

Edited by diego
  • Like 1