Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1979 Yellow Lotus Eclat: My project thread - Page 2 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1979 Yellow Lotus Eclat: My project thread

soldave

Ah, at least the knocking is an easy fix then, and that shifter will be handy  :hrhr:

Years ago i lost a Snap-On 3/8 ratchet an 10mm deep socket in a mates Micra, searched in every crevice for ages even with torches and mirrors, we could just could'nt find them anywhere and gave up, still raging about that (using a Halfords ratchet now), he eventually scrapped the Micra most likely with my ratchet still in it somewhere. 

When i was a mechanic back in the 90's used to get cars in with tools left on occasionally, usual one was a pair of vice grips still clamped to a nut or bolt head .   

The combination of Silvo, some wax and elbow grease has brought my rims up a treat. They need another coat of wax but will leave that for another day. Next week's job: check/replace front brake pads and possible discs.

post-17588-0-79546500-1413729806.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Tools are slowly starting to come in, so I might be able to do a bit of work on the car this weekend.

Always glad when I find the source of a problem, and even more so when it's a simple fix.  When I was driving down after I'd bought it in the torrential rain, I noticed a couple of times the voltmeter would drop to 11 and just stay there for a minute or so, before coming back up to normal.  I put it down to so much water stopping a contact near the alternator, but found out yesterday it was because the v-belt was hella loose.  Simple fix :)

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to do front brakes.  Want to get the front wheels off (really want my torque wrench before I do that - I've broken bolts before by overtightening and really don't want to break wheel studs!) and take a look at the pads.  Managed to take a couple of pics through the wheels tonight.  Not good quality but the discs look like they need replacing.  I've got a couple of new rotors; one has some surface rust on after being stored outside its protective bag but I'm hoping a wire brush and some parts cleaner will bring it up.

Anyway, take a look at these stalker-esque pics of the current state of the discs.

2014-10-31 18.57.17.jpg 2014-10-31 18.58.03.jpg

• Gold FFM

Well at least it sounds like you are having fun  while playing with he old Banana, excuse the old joke but she certainly gets under your skin. When you do the front brakes read up on how to tighten the nut up again which holds this the hub etc on, dont over tighten. I cant remember if she has the tapered bearings or not but once you find out, go by the book as so many people over tighten them and then they are trashed. I noticed the wheels have come up nice again, a few years back Wendy spent two days sitting on a box in the garage cleaning the wheels as they were in a bit of a mess.if I remember correctly she spent about 8 hours on each rim, first with a Brillo and loads of fairy wash up to prevent scratching then loads of Autosolve for the high shine and they came up really nice. She still gets wound up about why it took her so long just to clean four wheels.

While the car's awaiting ignition parts to fit and check, I decided to change pads and discs today.  And was partially successful.

Got everything off ok, although the pads didn't want to come out of the calipers.  Looked at the discs and they definitely needed replacing.  Good job I had a new set of pads and discs with the car.  But then I pulled the pads out and found them quite a bit smaller than the ones that are in there.  Checked the box for the pads and sure enough, it says they are for a Lotus Eclat.

2014-11-08 10.28.59.jpg

2014-11-08 10.29.08.jpg

I've done a bit of reading around and the only thing I can think of is that my 1979 Eclat was fitted with brakes from the 2.2 '80-onwards Eclat.  Places seem to show 2 different sizes of pads (98x68x16mm and 78x66x15mm) and it looks like I have the former.

What it means is that I'm going to have to order a new set of pads and hopefully find someone who wants to take these off my hands.  Very strange.

2014-11-08 09.47.51.jpg

Also found out that I suck at greasing trunions.  Took the nipple out and put a small syringe in there which resulted in oil going everywhere.  I tried with a bigger oil gun and met with similar failure.  Will try again next week when I'm fitting the pads.

No, your car has the standard 3 pot éclat girling brakes. The problem is that you have bought pads for an éclat 520 with 2 pot calipers from a ford. These were also used on elan. The ones you need should say that it fits various Jaguars and volvos and lotus elites and eclats.

• Like 1

Thanks for that.  I'm removing myself from blame though as I acquired those with the car ;)

Will get new standard ones ordered and will try to sell the 520 ones.  How are the EBC Greenstuff or other performance pads compared to stock on the Eclats?

• Gold FFM

OOp's sorry Dave that must have been my error, pity I'm not home yet as I have another set in the garage which I thought were the wrong ones, obviously they were correct. If you can wait a week I can send them on to you as I will have no need for them. I got caught out a few times with that as the car was registered March I think, 1980 but was built Oct 79 so when ordering parts you have to remember and order for a 79 and double check first, hence I had two sets of pads in the garage.

• Gold FFM

I would get Wendy to send them down to you but she wouldn't know where to look for them, well you'v seen the pile at the back of my garage lol.

I hate car electrics and they hate me!

Did the brake pads on my car today and got them all sorted out.  Also took distributor out, after putting engine to TDC.  Replaced condenser and tried to replace points but couldn't undo screw (going to need an impact driver for that.)  Think I've connected the condenser back to the points a little wrong (as you can see in the pic below), but put it all back and now the starter will turn but there's no spark.  I've checked and there's voltage going from the coil lead to the distributor but after that I don't know what's happened.

10805315_10154824756450521_64077772_n.jpg

What I did find was that the replacement lead from coil to distributor has a much lower resistance than the current wire, so that should work nicely once it is firing up and starting.  Couldn't replace the coil as the current one connects to wires with spade connectors, and the new one has studs for connection, so I need some spade adapters.

But feeling a little frustrated.  My car "repairs" invariably end up with the car I'm fixing being worse than when I started!

Hi Dave,

Just looking at your picture, it's a little difficult to make out but it looks like the green wire connector and the points spring are touching the side of the distributor.

The fixed side of the points that is part of the back plate is earthed through the distributor and the other half of the points shound be insulated and connected to the condensor and coil.

Sorry if i'm teaching you to suck eggs, no offence intended! :)

Takes a hell of a lot to offend me, believe me.

After looking at the photo, I was kind of thinking the same thing, and I'm really hoping it's as simple as that.  Will change that first thing tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

Yup, we were all right. Green write connector must have been grounding out on the case. Switched it the right way and it's fine now. Would have liked to have changed the points but would need an impact driver to get that off without stripping the head off the screw.

Car starts again and timing is set. Will change the coil once I've got some stud connectors. The replacement coil I have uses studs and the one that's in is all spade connectors.

On 15 November 2014 at 08:38, CharlieCroker said:

Dude you can get a power spark for a 907,

http://www.simonbbc.com/bundle-deals/high-energy-distributor/lotus-45d-high-energy-replacement-distributor-and-dlb198-ignition-coil-to-match-for-907-engine?zenid=84d60e08dc6756b3036e5a65e30eaf82

Or I'm pretty sure you can find them on eBay for under £60, worth every penny.

I would highly recommend the electronic kit to fit your distributor from this company.

Fit and forget.

I paid less than £25 for mine buying direct. Comes with simple instructions.

If your distributor is worn as the link shows you can replace the complete thing for not a lot of money.

If you do order an upgrade kit just make sure you buy the correct one for the distributor type. 45D or 25D