Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Jaguar XJS - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Jaguar XJS

I've had an inch for one as long as I can remember, but every time I come close to buying one, someone talks me out of it. 

I've been hankering after a 3.6 or 4.0 (and I've got a spare space in the garage next to the Lotus).  I've loved them ever since I was a kid and IMO they looks super cool, but there are so many reasons not to buy one (like they rust, they're expensive to fix and I'll look like an old man driving one I'm told).

I told my next door neighbour I was thinking of buying one and he laughed.  But I keep on coming back to them.

Here is one that looks ok Clicky

So should I buy one?

That's what I keep on telling myself!  And then I see something like this: Clicky

I almost bought an XJS V12 Convertible instead of my Esprit back in 2002, but the Salesman who was selling it to me talked me out of it!  Even he wasn't convinced.  

But XJS's so rock in so many ways.

You should probably pop down over the weekend to kick the tyres and chat with the owner. Just, y'know, to see it in the flesh, etc.

I can only presume there's a large section of the Web dedicated to XJS forums, so it might be worth poring over their comments and conversations to get a good handle on the cars' particular foibles.

If you're going to do it, you need to go all the way and get the V12!

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

This is like asking a bunch of crack addicts if you should smoke another pipe!

Of course you should buy an XJS! Half canal barge, half car, all shaguar! I love the early V12s but nice ones are very hard to find now.

• Gold FFM

I always liked the XJS as well from when I first saw one. Wasn't an XJS the car that TG couldn't fill with water as the seals were just atrocious?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Epic car, and stupidly cheap, the same cheap that people reminisce that E-types were before they all either rusted away or became garage queens. Not suggesting the XJS will ever be is *iconic, but the supply of good cheap cars won't last forever - do it man!

The Eventer would have been my choice but that have quadrupled in price since last time I looked

*silly classic car magazine mantle

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Yep I love em.

I had  a 3.2 XJ6 it was like driving a Stately home.

I reackon with classic car prices going up and E-types getting silly money the XJS will start to rise as a cheaper alternative. this has happened to Porsche 914 with the way 911's have gone.

I was told to steer clear of V12's

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Got curious and you found you can pick up a nice one out here in California for a few thousand dollars!

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Hope you get one Mark, they're gorgeous things.  I remember my dad's mate had one in the late 80s, loved to ride in it; it just seemed to glide about.  Awesome value now - like the XK8.  Personally, I'd want a manual gearbox though, think you can get the XJS converted to one reasonably easily.