Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
No Idle Turbo SE - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

No Idle Turbo SE

Ginger pig

Hi Guys,

I hope you can help!

I am getting an intermittent problem with the idling.

It's not that it is too slow or too fast but it just literally drops to no revs whatsoever.

Sometimes it idles fine on start up and other times not at all.

It might stop and start when it is hot or cold.

What could the potential culprit components be? 

I was thinking that the most likely cause might be a faulty 'idle control valve'.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Mark

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can take the IACV out and clean it but they're pretty cheap to replace, c£25 if I remember right.

Really, you need to run Espritmon or Freescan to see what the IACV is trying to do, any why it's nearly stalling out.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Thanks guys,

I need to save up for a laptop as I dont think I can upload Esprit mon or Freescan on my work laptop....... I will have to stop spending my money on esprits! ;)

Travis,

I have just gone outside to start her up and she is ticking over nicely. Like I said it is intermittent and I think the engine light does go on when it happens. I also think it only happens once I have put the engine under load but that might be pure supposition.

When it does happen I have to keep blipping the throttle as it just gives out....... it doesnt even struggle..... the revs just drop off a cliff.

Mark

need to read the code stored.  Might be a clue, or it might be the knock sensor from as the motor stalls...

Would be best if you can get freescan connected. 

It could be the IAC doing something.  It could be the minimum air rate bleed screw is mis aadjusted, but you'll need freescan to tell, and to adjust anything.

You should go a head and check fuel pressure.

You could also check the crank sensor above the flywheel, clean it too.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Thanks for the heads up Travis.

I will explore each of your suggestions and your right; I need to get the software to read what the ECU is telling me.

Bibs,

Do you have a source in mind with regards to sourcing a new IAC valve?

Mark

Ok!

I have just removed the IAC and inspected it. I was expecting to be able to push the plunger down on the spring but there is no give in that direction. Is that normal?

removed the bolt from the crank sensor but the sensor seems to be well in there! It looks plastic to me and so do not want to use to much force in prying from the bell housing! I have soaked it in WD40 but has anyone got any tips on plucking this component out?

I have removed one previously but the gear box was separated from the engine so access to it was easier from what little memory I have of it.

Mark

The IAC is a stepper motor, so you won't be pushing it in, don't want to anyways. Just clean it and inspect the o-ring. With freescan there is a method to force out to find home position.

You probably have some corrosion making the hole for the crank sensor smaller.

WD-40 won't help with the corrosion. Try something like a penetrating oil, PB Blaster is what I use.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I couldn't get mine out so had to do it when the gearbox was off. The aluminium had corroded and needed a good clean with 400 paper. I wonder if you could use a slide hammer with a long self tapping screw in the sensor. This would obviously mean a new sensor is needed.