Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1982 Eclat Riviera restoration...... - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1982 Eclat Riviera restoration......

Benco

Hi, I've just got hold of an Eclat Riviera as my new project (first was a beach buggy), having read a lot of reviews/blogs and mail threads it's definitely not going to be dull! The car hadn't moved from a front garden in at least 9 years, it's more green than red at the moment and once the tyres were pumped up it was a relief to at least see the wheels turn once the car started to be winched.

I'm after advice on where to start, I'm going to dismantle the whole car and start from the chassis up, any blog recommendations or other good resto threads to follow?

I've not touched the engine yet, thinking about changing the oil, cambelt? and turning it over without fuel or ignition, just to get the oil flowing around again...is this the right thing to do with this engine?

I'm getting hold of a workshop manual, any other good technical references to get hold of (wiring diagrams, etc)?

I'll post some pictures as I go and would certainly appreciate any pointers when I get stuck! There are some great cars on here.

Ongoing restoration photos on the Dropbox link.

Certainly worth making sure the engine is OK first,......as the most expensive part of the car (next is the gearbox) the car could be a very uneconomic restoration project otherwise.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Ok, presume I should do an ignition-less turnover, changing oil, filter. Then if ok, do a compression test on each cylinder, then if ok replace the old fuel and fuel filters, clean the distributor and give it a go?

Welcome, and well done for rescuing that Riviera. It had some interesting placque on the engine bay.

I'd whip the plugs out, pour some light oil/redex down the bores, leave it to pool for a day to penetrate the rings, then turn it using the crank pulley first. If its a little bit stiff, just wind it forward then backwards a little bit at a time until it will do a full revolution.

If it has sat for 9 years, it is possible the oil pump might need priming, so I wouldn't just whap it round on the starter immediately. I'd be gentle with it. Do a search on the archives for priming the oil pump if it looks like there is nothing on the oil pressure gauge the first time you turn it on the starter, as there is some good info in the archives. I would also change the timing belt before attempting to fire it up.

good luck and keep us posted!

• Like 1

Is that the one with the dead blackbird in the airbox?

No - I think this is the one that was on ebay a couple of weeks ago that had sat on a driveway for years and was covered in green moss. Compared to the one with the blackbird - this ones a minter! :w00t:

Don't worry about it not being econonic to repair. Just enjoy the journey. When you arrive at your destination poor and homeless with a pristine lotus then someone is bound to appreciate it or take pity on you!

Welcome to the forums BTW. This is a good basis for a restoration I reckon since there will not be much to replace just some deep refreshing! These are relatively simple cars to work on and a lot like your beach buggy in every respect. Parts are cheap and the s2 chassis and gearboxes are tough I hear.

Remember to post pics. Make sure you compress them though. You can load more that way.

Hi - thanks for the pointers, yes its the (still) green car that hasn't moved for ages, from a really nice guy who's had the car since 1987! The inside is really poor so I know I going to be busy when I get to that stage - but a long way off yet.

I'll be having a look properly in daylight at the car at the weekend, start to clear it out, give it a 'de-greening' and start to carefully prime the engine for running (hopefully!). I've added a link to some photos - nothing too interesting just yet - but got to start somewhere.

Anyone have a list of oils, grease etc for the car/engine car (don't have a manual yet) - is it 10W/40? ...and where is the most reasonable place to buy new parts (cambelt, oil, filter etc?)

Links to photos:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xl2fujmtq6z2h9i/AAAUl3mB2Rp9jGL7cJMkq_00a?dl=0

i Take a look to a LHD eclat riviera, in a little bit better state (not much) stands also allready 5 years, only then dry,

its also a red one, but a automatic, and its a Left Hand Drive car,

i will bring her also back to life when i got her, first we take a look this weekend,

good luck with your rare riviera!

So, where are the pictures of both Rivieras?

EDIT: just seen the link above :)

Come on Bauke... Show us something :)

@Terry: the recommended fluids should stand on a plate in the engine bay. Do you have had a look inside the engine bay?

Edited by Don.Hasi

Well, bought new oil, redex, penetrating oil, antifreeze.....all ready to start having a slow but steady 'return to life' for the engine. It all sounded great, but challenge number 1: one side of the bonnet won't come up. It's the near side, so have checked the bonnet release and both cables are properly attached and seem to be pulling correctly.....but no joy. Any suggestions?

So I started to wash off the green gunk, and started clearing cassettes and old mouldy map books out. As expected started to see how bad the interior is....if you are of a sensitive disposition don't look at the photos!

Same link as in post above.

Any help with popping bonnet appreciated

For the stuck bonnet catch get someone to pull the release while you give the stuck side a bang with your fist.

As long as the timing belt doesn't look like it's crumbling, damaged or loose. then it will be ok just to get the motor fired and change it later, wouldn't bother too much about quality oil, just bung any cheap fresh stuff in again just to get the thing running, put quality stuff in later.

After 9 years you will probably find the fuel has gone off in the tank, also possibly the fuel pump siezed (this is in the boot on the left hand side), the fuel pump should work with the ignition on.

I'd bypass all that anyway, get a jerry can full of fresh unleaded and set up a gravity feed to the carbs (just run a length of fuel hose down to the carbs with the can at roof height), or if the fuel pump is working feed the can to the pump but you will need to check the fuel line is'nt blocked (blow through with an air line)

Great project though, keep us updated.

********* EDIT------------------ EDIT -------------------- EDIT**********

For parts try SJSportscars or Lotusbits.

Edited by markgenesis

Thanks for the advice Mark, the bonnet is open again! So not as much time as I wanted but I started to clear the cobwebs and spiders. Liberally sprayed WD40 equivalent on all bolts and mechanisms that I want to be getting movement from in the future.

Checked oil, pretty good, no contamination (it's still going though!), spark plug out - and nice and tan coloured, expansion tank - bone dry with a nice crusty residue at the bottom, so that's an area to get into.

Checked out the boot, no corrosion on the tank, but the fuel pipes look brittle to me (plastic), and nice to see an old multimeter in the boot (I presume that's a sign of things to come!). There's a tube that runs into the space directly behind the rear bumper....??

Seen much worse.... Couple of weekends.... ;-)

At least you don't have a dead blackbird.

Nb, I'm going to disagree with the above and say change the can belt now before you crank it. It needs doing anyway, it's not a big job, nor expensive if you do it yourself. Your current belt is probably 15 yrs old and it's an interference engine

• Gold FFM

I'm with Dunc on that one, get the belt changed first and foremost. I may also be able to help you out with a complete leather interior, another member has expressed an interest in it but if that falls througfh I will let you know even if it's a long way off yet.

Good luck with the project.