Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Trackday Items - tyre, pad etc. suggestions? - Page 2 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Trackday Items - tyre, pad etc. suggestions?

Ian Lockwood

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Before we had ours put on i had heard that it required cutting the grill. It was done by the dealer before we collected the car, when i saw it my immediate response was "ah, so you did not need to cut the grill then?", you really don't notice... 

The rear towing eye has to have the under tray removed to fit, it is a much bigger job. Track days only require one, the front is much easier to fit. Like Bibs says, if it's only £34 to replace the grill it's not really a big deal. We leave ours in place, looks quite good, although we already have red accents on the car:

IMG_9074_zps1cb403e0.jpg

• Like 1

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

Before we had ours put on i had heard that it required cutting the grill. It was done by the dealer before we collected the car, when i saw it my immediate response was "ah, so you did not need to cut the grill then?", you really don't notice... 

Wow, that is very tidy, who did this for you?  I don't mind taking a dremel to my grill as long as I know I can replace it when I do it wrong :)

But £200  :huh:  :huh:

post-15228-0-82488200-1420491878.png

Wonder how easy this is to do?  I'd be happy to change grills/fit eye for a trackday, just not sure I want to towing eye fitted 24/7.

That's exactly what I do, it's nothing of a job!

While not ideal of course, the front grill is only £34.

Just noticed the grill on the Cup comes with the gap for the towing eye cut and finished from the factory, guessing that would fit the standard car... that said I think the minimal cut out on mine looks better, but not sure how it would look with the eye removed (never done it). Price is the same as Bibs quoted above - part A138B0011F.

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

• 1 month later...

Fitted the Cup front tow eye to the V6 after work. Easy <30min job including careful measuring and cutting of the grille, no doubt helped because the part sent by Lotus Silverstone to me was pre-bent to clear the front plate. For reference the front of the eye needs raising about 2" to avoid fouling the plate and leave some clearance.

Will take a pic tomorrow in the daylight, though you all know what a V6 looks like :D , but it's amazing how much more 'purposeful' the car looks with it.

• Like 1

Will take a pic tomorrow in the daylight, though you all know what a V6 looks like :D , but it's amazing how much more 'purposeful' the car looks with it.

Would be good to see and any fitting info, it's something I will want to do to mine.  Although not sure I'd keep it in 24/7.  Do you think it's something that can be fitted the night before a trackday and removed afterwards?

Edited by TonyKL

Yep, couple mins' work if you want to do that and swap to a spare non-cut grille for road use.

I'm on track regularly and have made a less intrusive cut to the grille than the proper Cup, though not as minimal as T3Jn's, so will leave it on. Plus it goes with the tarty red calipers!

Photo of the tow eye, as requested. Looks a neat enough job, though I'd like to go back to it later in the year and file/smooth down the remnants of the cut grille portions to satisfy my OCD needs. It just clears the numberplate below it and grille slat above.

post-18329-0-78303900-1424526284.jpg

Pretty much ready for its first trackday next weekend!

post-18329-0-03831200-1424526294.jpg

Edited by Arun_D
  • Like 1

Looks a very neat job and lovely car! Thanks for the pictures.

I'm fitting a 3/4 size front plate so I wonder if it will clear without bending?  

If it's an easy job to fit I might even remove the plate for the trackday.

If it's easy to bend to clear the numberplate isn't it possible for it to bend when being recovered an breaking things?

Edited by TonyKL
  • Like 1

Looks a very neat job and lovely car! Thanks for the pictures.

I'm fitting a 3/4 size front plate so I wonder if it will clear without bending?  

If it's an easy job to fit I might even remove the plate for the trackday.

If it's easy to bend to clear the numberplate isn't it possible for it to bend when being recovered an breaking things?

It may well do but can't confirm.

Regarding the bending, remember mine came pre-bent so I dodn't have to tackle it as planned, but from its thickness, it definitely would have been a task in the workshop at work as it is a sturdy piece. Remember it's FIA compliant so by no means flimsy.

Edited by Arun_D

• 3 months later...

Just received mine, might have a look at fitting this weekend.  It looks pre-bent so should be straight forward.

I assume the original bolts can be used?

Yep, you use the original bolts. As you mentioned, it is folded slightly upwards so will clear a standard numberplate, however I've seen some people add a second bend to make the eye part protrude absolutely level, but I wasn't that fussy.

• 2 months later...

Unsure if it's been mentioned but I'd recommend changing and upgrading your brake fluid :)

Thread bump!

What's the recommendation on upgraded fluid, Imran? Usually Castrol SRF is the standard answer. After getting back in the V6 for the first time after the Destination Nurburgring event, it's evident my fluid is past it's best, and although a simple bleed would probably do the trick, I may as well upgrade at the same time to reduce the likelihood of repetition on future trackdays (though accept fluids like SRF need to be renewed more often). Pedal is very spongey and needs a fair shove now!!

Whilst I am here, are there any more thoughts on pads, or are we still happy with standards? I can't really fault them, it's just I've nearly run out of meat all-round. I left the UK with the rears needing changing (see other threads on sport mode munching rears) , and came back after the event with the fronts severely depleted as well!

I'm not sure if anyone here has been towed out of the kitty litter by the front towing eye but given the structure its attached to, if it was my car I'd ask for it to be towed from the rear if possible.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

My first lemon of a V6 was towed enough times by the front factory strut, which the Cup tow Shares its mounting fixings with. No problem.

Any advances on the pad query?