Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Urgent Help - Misc including parts cross references - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Urgent Help

Just when i thought I was a week away from giving all forum members the news and pictures of my car ready for the road in as new conditions I got a big disappointment and require some help, any ideas will be welcome.

I totally rebuild the engines, new pistons, new liners, new turbo, new gaskets and new oil pump, The oil pump was new and acquired through Lotus surpluses sales department, and it seemed as if it was tested as it still had some oil on it. yesterday we decided to start the engine and when we open the switch the oil pressure light did show ok as it should, to confirm it was working, when I started the car the light wen

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Alejandro,

It looks like your oilpump is sucking air and not oil. Below are some idea's.

1 - Did you use a new olive ring (made of nylon) on the suction tube ?

2 - Turn the oilpump by hand in order to prime it (involves loosening the timingbelt) in order to avoid possible damage to the engine.

3 - Fill oilfilter with oil before fitting the filter.

4 - Correct oillevel in the sump ??

5 - broken or damaged suction tube.

6 - Stuck or damaged oilpressure reliefvalve in the aux. housing.

7 - Fill pipes and hose and oilcoolers with oil. Take hoses of from adapter flange (between oilfilter and aux. housing) in order to fill them.

Hope some of the idea's may help you.

Freek

Esprit Freak

Lince, it appears the oil pump has either lost its prime or hasnt had one from the start.

I always pack the pumps with petroleum jelly to aid them in pulling the oil up from the sump after a rebuild (the petroleum jelly brakes down harmlessley in the oil)

You can now get a prime by either getting a 1 litre Snap-On air pre-oiler (screw in to the oilways), or with a funnel and a lenth of hose, pour oil into the pump, via the filter housing (messy)

Re-install the filter, and pull the spark plugs , disconnect the power to the coil packs and wind the engine over on the starter until you see some pressure (at the gauge). :P

Once you have pressure , re-connect everything and fire her up!

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

not sure if it is anything like my engine, but my Lotus guy said check check check you have the oil pickup pipe into the sump installed correctly - new nylon compression o ring as mentioned above - he has seen it time and again.

I was very lucky with my rebuild - he loaned me an oil primer system, essentially a pressure bottle and line to the oil sensor point on the block. You fill the tank, pressure it up to 60 psi (from memory) and start the car.

In fact, here's a fact-sheet: http://www.elanfactory.com.au/pdf/technica...er%20bottle.pdf

Iain

Edited by iainskea

You may also want to check to see if you have an o-ring fitted to the distributor shaft housing where it slides into the oil pump housing. The pump can suck air through there and cause it to fail to prime. After I rebuilt my engine,I left my distributor out since I was switching to an electromotive crank triggered system. I tried priming the engine, but to no avail. I happened to put my hand over the opening while spinning the pump w/ a drill, suddenly it pulled vacuum, and an instant later everyone in my shop was showered w/ oil. It blasted out of the turbo supply fitting, hit, then cascaded, off the ceiling!!

Anyway, I wish you luck, please let us know what you find.

Cheers, Lee

I checked everything and found nothing wrong with it, made the priming process twice and from the second time it started working, I guess my car is just trying to make my life harder. yesterday at night we were taking all the leather out from the car to start the retriming process, Hope to have everything done by this weekend, I have 9 days until my girlfriends get here and I have to show her the car in working and as new condition or she will laugh at least for a month

I must admit I always hand pump it till it's primed and I agree Petroleum Jelly always does help the lubrication process. Only trouble is if you hand pump it too much ignition is too quick and your ride lasts a very short time.......... :D

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

hey, my Esprit is having the same problem with the new oil pump right now.

my mechanic is taking out the engine and try to active the oil pump now.

it's funny that I just called him about your posting and explain to him what he may try to solve it.

finger crossed......

**he managed to start the car in first try, but just no oil pressure at all..

hopefully, he got it sort out soon

**new update (12/14 5:35pm)....he changed back to the old oil pump and it works.

he has tried to active (prime) the new oil pump by disconnecting the timing belt, the spark plugs, the coil, and hand-wind the engine and the oil pump.....just no reaction.

so we give up and change back to the old oil pump (which is still in good condition)

any suggestion of other way to test the new oil pump?? thx

Edited by esprithk

My guess is as freek said the plastic olice at the top of the oil pick up pipe.... This is situated under the oil pump and under a large hollow hex bolt type thingy.... hard to explain if this is missing you will hace no oil pressure... I had my enging rebuilt CRD in scotland who didn't put one in and luckily I checked as there were a few errors on my build that made me a bit nervous about their work.. I have now fitted one and passed my car to Pheonix Honda in Grangemouth to complete.. should be done in the next week, so I'm told!!

Mark

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport 

Eric,

If the timing belt is off, just put an internal hex bit in the end of the pump and spin it up w/ a drill (an angle drill if the engine is in the car). Make sure the o-ring is good on the distributor!

This will save your starter and battery.

Cheers, Lee

Eric,

If the timing belt is off, just put an internal hex bit in the end of the pump and spin it up w/ a drill (an angle drill if the engine is in the car). Make sure the o-ring is good on the distributor!

This will save your starter and battery.

Cheers, Lee

thx Lee,

I think my mechanic has tried that, too.. (and no luck)

I think I need to return the oil pump for a replacement. Anyway, I will drive the car with the old oil pump for a while...

Hi, Lince

I bought it from SJ Sportscar...it is original LOTUS PART.

I am in China and don't know what's going on except phone conversation.

but I am happy that the car is running now..

after the mechanic runs Freescan check and everything is ok, I will ask him to install the S4 version 3 chip (from PUK Racing)....

**he is adding "sand weight" and half tank of gasoline (Shell V-Power) to do the geometry setup of suspensions and 4 wheels now..

I can't wait to return to HK in early 2007 to enjoy the car....

How's yours running?

I